iDVD wont write to DVD for me?! Please help - uni work hand in date tomorrow 9am

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sacred, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Sacred macrumors member

Hi all,

Ok I'm trying to write to DVD for a project that has to be in tomorrow morning first thing. It renders the menus and everything, processes the audio and then just as it hits the "burn" section it ejects the DVD without any dialogue boxes or warnings.

I've tried it a couple of times and it keeps ejecting the disk (despite the fact both my mac and my pc recognise it as a blank disk).

Upon checking my DVD writer in my mac it says it can write to - disks and I've only got + disks, what can I do to get it to write to + disks as well/instead?!

I'm really annoyed as in PC World they had signs up advising you to buy DVD+R for media, music and videos and DVD-R for data and backups and now I can't get it to write my video presentation to disk!!

Please say someone can help as I lose 5% of the marks for every day its late :(

Regards,
    Sacred

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Well it takes over an hour to fully go through the rendering and processing, the disks are brand new straight out of a new pack. Would using a different disk work or am I just wasting my time (as once I start my laptops pretty much dead for the whole time until its finished as my luck it will crash while processing the video if i try to do anything else)

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Have you been using the same disk throughout your various trials? It's possible your original disk was flawed, or may have encountered a write error, in which case using a new disk might solve the problem.

5. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Well I've started a new disk and will post back as soon as its gone through the rendering and processing of the movie.

6. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Just tried with another disk, it says writing lead in then ejects the disk like its been doing with the other disks.

Any advice would be appreciated!

7. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

I would assume the easiest thing to do would be to buy some DVD's of the correct variety?

ie. Go buy some DVD-R disks and see if that works.

From what you have written, it this seems the most likely cause of the problem?

8. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I've bought two more packs of DVDs

Pack 1: Verbatim DVD+RW - goes through the 1 hour + processing time and then ejects the CD saying "done" when the disk is still blank.

Pack 2: TDK DVD-R - iDVD asks for a recordable DVD to be inputted to the disk drive, upon entering the disk it starts to run then says that is can't record to the disk (have tried 4 disks from the back of 10)

I'm at a total loss, I wrote a DVD on Sunday night to a Sony DVD+RW (also for uni work) and now I can't get it to work at all and my hand in deadline is in 90 minutes.

Anyone got any ideas at all as to what I can do or try?

Thanks,
    Sacred

9. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

From what you've posted here, I'd say it's a hardware problem, and if my assumption is correct, you have a Matshita drive in your laptop. I realise it's probably awkward, but could you borrow or even hire an external dvd writer in the meantime?

While you're considering that, have you tried using Disk Utility or Finder to burn the dvds?

10. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Well I ended up spending over £100 today to try and get my work done ending in having to purchase a USB DVD writer which worked just fine! Lost 5% from my total marks in the process :( I guess the mac saying "it just works" ain't quite true!

11. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Unfortunately (for you) I suggest, it's not the Mac but the Mat. I'm pleased that you finally got your work completed and submitted. Keep posting if you need further assistance in solving this optical drive issue.

12. andrew.p.r macrumors newbie

Why is it that students always leave putting there work on to disk to the night before. I work for an apple service provider, located about 20 minutes away from Bradford University in the UK. You can almost guarantee that just before deadline time you get at least one call from someone who has left burning there work until the last minute and then it does not work.

I have also been through university I know how stressful deadline time is but it still amuses me that people leave things like this till the last minute.