If 3G were announced with SDK for a future date, would you buy beforehand?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Feb 10, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

What if a 3G iPhone were announced along with the SDK later this month. Say the iPhone will cost $100 more for the same storage, but with 3G and will be released in "Q4 2008" or "August 2008." Do you think anyone would buy the current model between now and then?

2. elmo151 Guest

too many "ifs". I'd wait a month and see what happens.

3. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I know I won't. Im going to keep my current iPhone 'till march '09.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Possible but doesn't using 3G services mean a different plan that is usually higher priced?

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

If it's just 3G? I think the battery tradeoffs would be more important to me than the speed of data - I'd probably even avoid the 3G version.

If it had a better camera with a light or flash, or an FM radio or something I'd be a lot more tempted.

Phazer

7. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I doubt Apple will pre-announce the 3G version. It will hurt sales of current models. They only pre-announce new (first generation) products because people will hold off on buying a competitor's product until the Apple product is released.

They never pre-announce upgrades to the iPods, Macs, Apple TV, etc. except maybe a 2 week announcement. I think the same will apply to future iPhone revisions. Apple won't be telling us in January that the 3G iPhone will be released in June. If they do, I'll be shocked.