If a person has parallels on their macbook/pro/air or maybe their Ipad...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by a-m-k, Jun 26, 2010.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Can they get viruses? Techically, they are on the latest version of :apple: and I forget right now, but isn't something about the software immune to viruses? If this is the case, when a person chooses to install parallels, are they risking viruses to their :apple: since they aren't tecnically using the :apple: software/part of the macbook.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can still get a virus/trojan/malware under the Windows install even if it is only a Virtual Machine, or if it is through BootCamp.

OS X has seen very few malicious attacks and the only ones that have ever showed up in the wild were Trojans, so you are relatively safe.

Malware/Viruses that affect Windows cannot affect OS X.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Typically you wouldn't connect to the internet in a virtual machine, because you could use a brower or whatever in OS X, so it's highly unlikely that you would get a virus, unless you felt the need to use another internet connection in the virtual machine. Also, any virus that you would get would only affect windows, as windows viruses cannot run in a Mac environment.

On a side note, you can't put parallels or any form of windows on an iPad.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I don't have parallels...

I was only asking. The added program might actually slow the speed and take up memory. I don't have a whole lot on my macbook pro. Right now, I don't have too much other than the programs that came with it.

All is good. :)