If a thief change the HD I can localize my MBP by Undercover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by romoj, Apr 7, 2009.

1. romoj macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Here it's the thing, someone steal my MBP It was my first mac so I really don´t know a lot from mac but I went for the better I can bough 8 months ago. One friend told me to bough the Undercover program in case someone stole my beautiful MBP and it happen I bough the program and someone rob me. :mad::mad:

The question is if the thief change the HD that´s the end I'll never see my MBP again it's correct my friend. Because he say that the Undercover info it's in the HD and not in other component in the body of the MBP. It's that true. :confused::confused:

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If someone wipes or swaps the hard drive, then yes, Undercover is wiped off as well.

The Undercover website says to put a firmware password on your laptop to prevent someone from wiping it. Of course this doesn't prevent them from swapping the hard drive.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you set the firmware password up correctly, no matter what they do, even change the hard drive, they wont be able to use your MBP. You could also use super glue to ensure the hard drive isn't removable, but this isnt a good idea unless your using a very old machine.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought changing the amount of ram, letting the machine bong twice for a PRAM reset will vanquish the firmware password.

Going into single user and deleting the applesetupdone file or using the DVD will get rid of the login password.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

lets not tell people how to steal Macbooks :p your average thief isnt going to know how to perform a PRAM reset.

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The average thief is just going to sell it as-is for a couple hundred bucks. Everyone knows at least one person that's a "tech guy" who can get it in working condition for cheap.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i cant wait until they come with GPS chips soldered to the motherboard

8. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

That'll be the day.. :)

9. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

Here's a thing:

LoJack might have been better, because LoJack actually installs the tracking software on section of RAM that is protected, and cannot be erased, period.

But yes, Undercover program, the software should have tracking built in immediately.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Got a link? I doubt it.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I don't think the Macs are on the list of LoJack Bios hacks to install inside them like a bios virus might.

12. romoj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for gime me your point of view, but I have a doubt, because I'll need to buy other machine and will be a mac for sure. alchemistmuffin said that lojack its in the RAM and Consultant and Sun Baked said the opposite I get confused.

Like I said before I'm new on mac thing's I just wanna know because I want to buy the best alternative, all because if lojack its in the RAM no matter the thief do I will get my machine back. Don´t you think lime me.

Sorry i didn't mention that I'm in El paso, TX. and my MBP was steal in Cd. Juarez, Mexico. I hope that doesn't make any difference.

Thanks again.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah, but i bet most people on here would have no problem buyin a super cheap mbp at a pawn shop

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Will this help? Personally i'm a little dubious about the claims... anyone on MR using this tool?

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And I hope the day where they can remotely track me never comes.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Do you think the government cant track you now? your phone, maybe your car, CCTV, we're already monitored big brother style, i dont see how having your computer tracked could be an issue. It would make it impossible to steal your MBP and get away with it, plus be useful for Google Maps etc.

17. Dg8r macrumors newbie

18. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Since when can you set firmware passwords on Macs?

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's cause your in the UK. The only country I know where the Laws of the land actually protect the thieves, more then the owner!! Wouldn't surprise me if they start issuing ankle bracelets.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm surprise, citizens aren't already forced to walk around naked :p

21. clownjuggles macrumors member

Hey the land of Kate Winslet and Helena Bonham Carter? That's not a bad idea... :p

22. kolax macrumors G3

The installation process seems so simple.. what if a Mac Trojan was developed to do something similar..

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Watching an old series of '24'..
    I'm sure those who really wanna will still find another place to 'stuff' C4 :eek:

Thieves will receive an unexpected surprise?

24. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

*pulls out the ram*
    *sells the ram*
    *inserts new ram*

Oh dear! goodbye lojack.