If abortion was illegal, what should the penalty be?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by matthewscott661, Aug 6, 2009.

1. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Stumbled upon this youtube video asking abortion protesters what we should do to women who get abortions if they are made illegal. Their reactions show that while their intentions are good, they really have not thought the whole situation through.

What are your thoughts on making abortion illegal and the penalty women should get for breaking the abortion law?

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

The penalty would be going to hell for an eternity because said person decided to kill a baby.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It shouldn't be illegal, and if it was, there shouldn't be a punishment for the woman, for the doctor perhaps, but not the woman.

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Let's think of some creative ones... like maybe forcing them to watch several 'miracle of birth' videos so they can fully appreciate what it means to take another human's life into your hands and destroy it because it was just... 'easier.'

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

oh crap. Here we go...

A point of clarification for the OP though - are we talking about penalties for the doctor/performer of the abortion or penalties for the woman?

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Cruel and unusual punishment! :eek:

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... $50 Fine and 2 1/2 hours of community service.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What if you're Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu/Rastafarian/etc.? Let's not bring religion into this.

I'm pro-choice, but if it abortion was illegal I would say the Dr. should pay a fine.

9. remmy macrumors 6502a

Wouldnt the length of the pregnancy and circumstances of the mother still need to be considered? Or go for a flat rate no matter what.

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu/Rastafarian/etc. would still go to Catholic hell in my opinion. But, for two offenses, one having an abortion, and, worshipping false gods. That's like going to hell forever times two.

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Make them stand in the corner, nose touching the wall and knees bent for one day so they can think about what they've done...
    Yeah, that will teach 'em.

/sarcasm

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thanks for the laugh, unfortunately while it was funny you're mindset also disturbs me.

13. matthewscott661 thread starter macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I would say both. I don't understand why there would be a penalty for the doctor and not the mother, they are both equally involved. Even though the doctor does the act of killing the fetus, the mother is at fault for conspiracy to kill.

The point is, why should we waste time making abortion illegal if there wouldn't be a penalty similar to the penalties for similar acts?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We shouldn't.

15. MTI macrumors 65816

Perhaps just examine the laws that existed when it was illegal, which wasn't that long ago.

16. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Well technically speaking it would be a premeditated murder and if a doctor did it, then whilst he killed the baby, she would be an accomplice I suppose.

Also isn't it like if a guy boots his missus down the stairs because he doesn't want the hassle of having kids and such - and she aborts - currently, would he would get done for murder of the baby?

Which seems strange, like if the lass has an abortion, it doesn't count as a murder (a freebie if you will), but if she wants to keep it and it dies as a result of someone else's actions, it is classed as a termination of a life?

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Ask Scott Peterson.

18. boast macrumors 65816

boast

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm just curious, do you people have these views towards those that get legal abortions done now? Or is your view only based on if its currently legal or not?

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Is a penalty going to make the fetus any less aborted?

Get serious people abortion has existed for far longer than most religions and legal institutions.

Even when the womans life is as stake , taking that risk is more preferable than carrying the fetus to term.
    maybe the question should be WHY women have them, and despite the pro-life propaganda , very few women make the choice lightly. Not everyone can be a good parent just because the are able to ****.

Women are still going to attempt/have abortion whether they are legal or not.
    Penalizing them , or threatening them is not goign to change that.
    and instead of losing one potential human being , most likely will lose the woman as well.

21. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Haha, for some reason that reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between an American and Muslim woman? An American woman gets stoned before committing adultery.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No doubt in my mind that both mother and doctor should receive the death penalty for taking a life.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What kind of twisted humor is this?:confused:

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure, I don't think abortion should be illegal so I never took the subject seriously.