Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
32 GB Wifi+Cellular, seemingly good condition... I've owned quite a few iPads but I never push them to their limit, and I'm now thinking something cheap is right for me. Is this iPad a bad choice right now?

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
I know they are more expensive but if you could find an iPad air in your price range id say that's a much better choice. Simply because the weight and size is much much better for couch use. You'd be surprised the difference it makes.

Power wise though the iPad 4 would be fine for couch use for sure.

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
At that price I'd be tempted even if I didn't need one. But the screen size may be a little limiting for large PDFs.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Not too bad for $100, unless if you can find iPad Air for a bit more.
Try finding a (maybe) cheaper wifi only version. You probably won't need cellular based on your usage.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
iPad 4 is a fine device - we still have one in regular rotation as a kids/family device. I agree that an Air would be a better choice mostly for the form-factor which is much more comfortable to hold, but would guess they are probably still about double that price?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
iPad 4 is a fine device - we still have one in regular rotation as a kids/family device. I agree that an Air would be a better choice mostly for the form-factor which is much more comfortable to hold, but would guess they are probably still about double that price?
I agree. If the OP could get the Air for nearly (no more than $30 more than the 4) the same price, go with the Air, but as long as the 4 is in good condition it will still serve well.

My 4 is still in active service. My daughter uses it at college and it continues to work nearly as well as the day it was new. The 4 had the best battery life of any iPad I own and with 1GB RAM, it will continue to be useful for quite some time to come.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
32 GB Wifi+Cellular, seemingly good condition... I've owned quite a few iPads but I never push them to their limit, and I'm now thinking something cheap is right for me. Is this iPad a bad choice right now?

I wouldn't, with iOS 10 coming out now, that device is going to become noticably slow, go at least an air 1, which will be a more enjoyable experience for your couch and PDF surfing.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
Totally fine. I am on an iPad 4 and no issues aside from some occasional lagginess. Some pdf's dont work right in the normal web browser so i open them in Acrobat itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.