If all I want is PDF and couch-browsing, is an iPad 4 for $100 an okay choice?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by James.K.Polk, Sep 5, 2016.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

32 GB Wifi+Cellular, seemingly good condition... I've owned quite a few iPads but I never push them to their limit, and I'm now thinking something cheap is right for me. Is this iPad a bad choice right now?

2. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

For 100 dollars, it is a steal. Go for it as long as it really works and isn't activation locked.

3. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

I know they are more expensive but if you could find an iPad air in your price range id say that's a much better choice. Simply because the weight and size is much much better for couch use. You'd be surprised the difference it makes.

Power wise though the iPad 4 would be fine for couch use for sure.

4. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

At that price I'd be tempted even if I didn't need one. But the screen size may be a little limiting for large PDFs.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Not too bad for $100, unless if you can find iPad Air for a bit more.
    Try finding a (maybe) cheaper wifi only version. You probably won't need cellular based on your usage.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

iPad 4 is a fine device - we still have one in regular rotation as a kids/family device. I agree that an Air would be a better choice mostly for the form-factor which is much more comfortable to hold, but would guess they are probably still about double that price?

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I agree. If the OP could get the Air for nearly (no more than $30 more than the 4) the same price, go with the Air, but as long as the 4 is in good condition it will still serve well.

My 4 is still in active service. My daughter uses it at college and it continues to work nearly as well as the day it was new. The 4 had the best battery life of any iPad I own and with 1GB RAM, it will continue to be useful for quite some time to come.

8. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

I wouldn't, with iOS 10 coming out now, that device is going to become noticably slow, go at least an air 1, which will be a more enjoyable experience for your couch and PDF surfing.

9. aypues macrumors regular

Totally fine. I am on an iPad 4 and no issues aside from some occasional lagginess. Some pdf's dont work right in the normal web browser so i open them in Acrobat itself.

10. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

Surprisingly the 4 runs great on iOS 10, no speed loss. I've run the iOS 10 beta from first to GM.