If all is true then this is the biggest upgrade since the original iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Ya I admit it..no am one of th complainer about screen size, and even the new screen size of 4" I feel could be a lot better. Anyway a lot seem to be complaining about the "5" in general...but realisticly this is the biggest upgrade since the iPhone was originally released..

4G LTE- huge upgrade, whether you agree you need it or not. Once you have it and have used for awhile you will agree. Even for just basic web stuff it is a huge improvement. I switched over to a couple galaxy devices for a short time and 4g LTE is magical as apple would say.

Screen size- ya it's not as a big as everyone really thought it would be, and apple threw everyone off by only increasing th length. But oh we'll...in end it's a bigger screen and it should make almost all happy. Knowing apple they will have some reason which seams valid and makes sense to us all why anything bigger than 4" is not needed.

NFC - it is the future, no more carrying around your wallet or MURSE.

iOS 6 - meh...not much to mention at this point other than passbook. Let's see what specific i5 features are introduced. I would expect at last one is going to be a killer feature that we don't know of yet. (lyrics streaming built into iPod??)

Anyway the point is...screen size increase, 4g LTE , and NFC alone are HUGE. Increases by themselves. Usually hardware wise it is only a processor upgrade,gpu upgrade or a memory upgrade every other cycle. Ese things are surely to be upgraded again for th i5 which is yet another hardware upgrade among e other big 3 I mentioned.

Hey if the thread sucks it sucks...something to bitch and complain about though :D

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I highly doubt it will have NFC, but yes I agree. This is a huge upgrade, whether some want to admit it or not.

3. Shockwave78 thread starter macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Whoa...just retread my OP..if some stuff doesn't make sense then blame it on the iPad and vodka spelling errors/auto correct :)

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Just curious, what has to change for you to consider the iPhone having a new form factor? Unibody construction and a bigger screen screams "new form factor" to me. Would a wider screen have made the difference? What exactly do you want to change?

The box shape with outer antenna is a fantastic design. It's not going anywhere.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

NFC is not happening. Where have u been?..seriously. Not being a jerk, but if you've been even remotely following the rumors, you'd know that any hopes of NFC have been squashed.

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I asked a question like that in another thread. For all of the critics moaning about the lack of a major change in design, i still have not really seen anyone come up with what that would be.

8. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

If the rumors are true, this is not a 4/4S form factor. Just because it is the same shape (only longer) does not mean that this wouldn't be a big change in design. I think it goes to show how big of a change the 4 was versus the 3G/3GS. We will have to wait and see how many of the rumors are true and what it looks like exactly but this looks like a pretty good upgrade to me.

9. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

I'm happy they didn't move too far away from the core design of the 4/4S. In my opinion it's one of the most elegant designs I've seen on a smartphone. Apple probably thinks so too, which is why they've chosen to refine it rather than completely overhaul it.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'd be very happy to see an iPhone styled somewhat like an iPad.

Frankly anything other than board flat front & rear. I'm not saying the current design is bad, it's just not Apples best. Look at the beautiful shapes of the various Apple products.

People that get so angry when an opinion contrary to theirs is posted, prove how narrow minded they are. It's just a discussion, not a disaster :)

11. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

LTE alone is making me upgrade. Can't wait to drool.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Knowing that profit is Apples highest priority. It's a cheap phone to build. Flat slabs of glass or a flat back made of other material is extremely inexpensive.

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Unibody design... cheap to make. Right. :rolleyes:

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Adding nothing more than a few millimeters in length doesn't qualify as a new form factor. Yet I'm not here to argue with you.

I'm actually here to thank you for being so easy to please.

The millions of customers that agree with every move Apple makes, have caused the stock I bought at $20 per share, to skyrocket to an amount beyond my wildest dreams.

15. cynics macrumors G3

I think its not a big deal because people have been using those features for over a year and a half with the competition. Could you imagine going nearly the entire length of a 2 year contract and Apples latest offering is JUST getting a feature your bored with?

I feel the upgrades are necessary just to keep pace with the competition. I'm still sticking with my 4S but I see peoples point about not being blown away....

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted

Up to this point the CPU & gpu have been the big upgrades, along with retina display. Early iPhones had pitiful hardware specs and that made itself know with poor performance as the OS upgrades came.

It seems with the 4s that we now have sufficient performance overhead that the issue isn't as big as it used to be.

17. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

This will be more of an upgrade than the 4S was. I think some people here have forgotten what a disappointment that event was, and yet, millions bought it. The phone looked exactly like the 4, and there were about three selling points on it (Siri, Better Camera, Improved CPU). But yet it was the highest selling iPhone yet. What do you thinks going to happen this round, when Apple actually introduces an iPhone that is somewhat redesigned, has LTE, has a new faster dock connector, improved camera probably, faster CPU (maybe GPU), more RAM, and certain software features that we don't even know about yet. I don't see what everyone is getting upset about...what did you expect? A 4.5" iPhone that is a whole new design? Keep dreaming...Apple has found the design they like and think is iconic. Now they will just refine it, and that is fine with me. There are more important things to me than just "Does it look totally different?" and "Is the screen bigger!?". I am excited to see what features it will have that we wont have any idea about until Apple unveils it. Siri will undoubtedly get improvements, which will be stellar. Coming from a two year old iPhone 4, I am so ready to get this new iPhone. :cool:

Oh yea, I forgot to mention battery life. I bet we will see a higher battery life this time around.

18. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Man I totally forgot about those rumors. They must all be true.

19. TimothWinter macrumors newbie

This is a huge upgrade, whether some want to admit it or not[​IMG]

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My SGS III has lots of nice features & functionality that my 4S doesn't.

Yet that doesn't cause me to be unhappy with my iPhone, nor am I bored with it. In fact that's what makes it easy to pass on iPhone5. The 4S does everything I need.

They're two different platforms I have no desire to compare. I own them both because I like variety. Not to pick a winner.

----------

Got a link to that ?

:D

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I don't see that any hope of NFC has been squashed at all. No one has any concrete information, and nothing in the leaked rumored photographs excludes the possibility.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

J.Dalrymple's "yep" following Anandtech's post was enough for me. I won't be betting on NFC. I'd be happy if it's there, I'll even try again to use it after generally giving up on PayPass (noticed a new terminal at Wallgreens that APPEARS to work), but not counting on it.

I would like to point out that while we have a good idea which Qualcomm chip we'll see, we have no clue what SOC we'll see. So many things rest on this. In past years we would see the SOC by now. The closest thing we have is a photo by Mr Blurrycam.

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Retread? Maybe you're just tired. :cool:

24. swy05 macrumors 6502

In apple's world, yes, it's a big upgrade.

In the technology world, it's a laughable upgrade.

25. acosmichippo macrumors regular

"If all is true..."

Don't worry, it never is.