Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you consider another brand of phone if the app stores/ecosystem were identical?

• No, I would stick with the iphone

Votes: 70 64.8%
  • Yes, I would consider another brand. I'm in it for the app store/ecosystem

Votes: 36 33.3%
  • I have another phone and I'm happy with it.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I think that if the apple app store wasn't so much better than the other options, I might consider a windows phone. But the app store is enough to keep me on apple for now.

Would you be an iPhone customer if the other app stores were identical? (and the apps ran as smoothly as on the iphone)

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I think that if the apple app store wasn't so much better than the other options, I might consider a windows phone. But the app store is enough to keep me on apple for now.

Would you be an iPhone customer if the other app stores were identical? (and the apps ran as smoothly as on the iphone)

Yes because I have too much money invested in the Apple App Store ecosystem.

silversun

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Although I love the iPhone...
But I would swap to another phone if it has the same appstore. Mostly because of the cheaper price :)
For now, I will still stick with iOS because of its un-rivaled appstore:p (Google Play is horrible )

mjn298

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Palisades, Washington, DC
I'd probably switch. I'm a little bored with the iOS interface and the 30-pin connector's ubiquity is now less of a benefit unless you want to carry an adapter around (which I don't).

App Store is the saving grace.. can find anything on it.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If the others could have done it, they would have done it.

If the time is measured in years to implementation then they get a vote of no confidence and I'll stick with the iPhone.

indianboynyc

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
im a loyal :apple: customer. macbooks, ipads, iphones, you name it! next on my list is appletv! #appleboy

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I'm sure we can all agree objectively that not all android phones are junk. Let's be a little real here.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
Its more than the apps, but the hardware is nowhere near as special as Apple fans imagine it is. Beautiful design. Brilliantly put together. Jewel-like. But the Galaxy S3 and Note are very interesting to me. I ordered the 5 so Apple has a year maybe 2 before I consider switching but most of the apps I want are already on both platforms. I'm staying because Android is almost there but not quite.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
i hate the android cheap plastic feel.. does my head in

That's mainly the Samsungs that have that cheap feel. HTC has some well built phones.

On topic I would still choose iPhone because even for the apps that the two stores share, the quality of the app on iOS is usually better than its Android counterpart. The Android version is often less polished, missing a couple of features, or crashes more often.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
I would LOVE to try out things like the S3 or Note and bragging about build quality or special metals does nothing for me since I never keep a phone more than 18mo. But I am 100% iOS so I'm stuck with whatever Apple offers.

So if given a choice of hardware and software then I'd likely NOT have iOS running on an iPhone.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
But also the service (mentality) in real stores would need to aligned; on Apples high level. Don't see that possible with too many other companies

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

I've been using a Galaxy S3 for the last 3 months and apps do run as smooth as the app store. Even more smooth in some cases.

I've given it a great deal of time and in the end I've found interaction and simplicity is the biggest factor.

I use all Macs at home, Mac at work, wife uses iPhone, kids have iPad, Apple TV, air print printer, etc.. I obviously like Apple products and Android or other devices simply don't interact with them as well. Speaking from a phone alone perspective. I could be happy with either.

My biggest thing I like with Android over iOS is the freedom. Beyond an open system, In the 3 months I've learned to flash cyanogenmod 9 and 10, root, flash leaked Jelly Bean roms, etc.. I see it sorta like iOS beta builds though. The same as I get tired of iOS looking the same. I'm getting tired of titanium backups and restores, waiting on stock jellybean to be released, etc.. At some point you just want to use the phone as is and despite the improvements it could use. iOS works best to me.

I am happy to say I've given android a very thorough test.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I wish it was just more customizable. The iOS has looked the same forever and the colors get stale after a while.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
And this kinda proves the point... the app store isn't even technically the same from one Android phone to the next. So it's almost impossible to imagine them being "the same" across all platforms.

Though, i like that people can choose. iOS not your thing? Android or windows phone are over there.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I'm sure we can all agree objectively that not all android phones are junk. Let's be a little real here.

The phones LOOK nice, but that OS.. oh my god. I'm in tech and it's a freakin' nightmare wrapped in a joke swimming in a sea of.... now where is that control panel again?

Love the closed system as well. Like to tinker instead of be productive? Yes, get Android.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
And this kinda proves the point... the app store isn't even technically the same from one Android phone to the next. So it's almost impossible to imagine them being "the same" across all platforms.

How so?

Some apps are missing simply due to the fact that they won't work on that specific device. Or because carrier restrictions (some tethering apps). Other than that, it's the same app store, no matter what Android device you have.

----------

now where is that control panel again?

Menu - Settings. Every phone.
And if you don't want to tinker with it, you don't have to. You can be productive without any tinkering. But you have options.

nickm81us

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Would stay with iphone. There are some cool-ass Android phones out there (SIII and HTC One X specificly), and I really dig some of the new Windows phones, but I'd go for stability and familiarity over tweaking and cool new shiny.

lordromanov01

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Why don't people just jailbreak if they want an open system?
I did it and my iPhone is twice the phone it used to be. Plus if you don't go over the top with adding new features, it's hardly slower either. It's especially not a problem on later, faster devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.