Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If no new IPP is released at WDCC today, what will you do?

• Wait til September

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Wait til October

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Wait til the end of the year

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Wait as long as it takes or own device is broken

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Just go ahead and buy the one released last year this week

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Buy a Windows PC-tablet hybrid since there is also no new MBP

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have been waiting since January. I have used a 12.9" WiFi version for two months and returned it. I found the current one fairly good enough for my use but of course if a lighter, faster with longer battery life model is available, why not? One concern is that there is no telling if a new 12+" IPP will be released this year and whether or not it will have the ugly notch. Any news about the notch? If Apple will include an ugly notch, then perhaps just go ahead to buy the current one. Any good advice?

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I have been waiting since January. I have used a 12.9" WiFi version for two months and returned it. I found the current one fairly good enough for my use but of course if a lighter, faster with longer battery life model is available, why not? One concern is that there is no telling if a new 12+" IPP will be released this year and whether or not it will have the ugly notch. Any news about the notch? If Apple will include an ugly notch, then perhaps just go ahead to buy the current one. Any good advice?

Will wait until the next hen iPP is out.

No rush to spend $1,000 until it’s out.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I need to buy a new laptop and a tablet this month for work. Know any good Windows tablet that is on pair with the IPP 12.9" 2017?

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I need to buy a new laptop and a tablet this month for work. Know any good Windows tablet that is on pair with the IPP 12.9" 2017?
On par in what category? Pretty broad question here and you’re comparing and

Probably can’t go wrong with the latest Surface Pro. I use a thinkpad yoga 260 convertible mainly because of the keyboard. Probably used the tablet part 10 times and then gave up on it. Aspect ratio isn’t good. The tent or display mode is fantastic for movies. That I use all the time. Thinkpad X1 carbon yoga is also great.

Depends on your budget and needs really. I think HP has one that works as a clamshell and then the top rips off to become a tablet (Surface Book also does that)

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Been wanting to get rid of my 16Gb iPad Air 1 for a long time and as much as I want to, I don’t ‘need’ to replace it any time soon so, ya, I’m in it for the long run. I’m not going to go out and spend a thousand bucks unless it’s a Pro with the X treatment.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Been wanting to get rid of my 16Gb iPad Air 1 for a long time and as much as I want to, I don’t ‘need’ to replace it any time soon so, ya, I’m in it for the long run. I’m not going to go out and spend a thousand bucks unless it’s a Pro with the X treatment.
The 329 ipad with Pencil is an option for a year. Resale hit shouldn’t be too bad if you get a basic model. 4 months at least for a new iPad X, lets say 6 more months for manufacturing hitches to be sorted. That’s 10 months of a fairly decent basic iPad for about a hundred bucks (resale hit )

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I’m using a first ten 12.9/pencil for drawing/media consumption and feel no need to upgrade yet...unless apple pull something out the bag re: power/screen, I doubt I’ll need to upgrade for awhile yet....

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
There is nothing that comes even close to iPad Pro. So forget Windows.

The Pen of Surface Book 2 is not as good but quite good for the Yoga. The problem is in tablet mode, my fingers have to keep pressing those keys.
[doublepost=1528127276][/doublepost]
On par in what category? Pretty broad question here and you’re comparing and

Probably can’t go wrong with the latest Surface Pro. I use a thinkpad yoga 260 convertible mainly because of the keyboard. Probably used the tablet part 10 times and then gave up on it. Aspect ratio isn’t good. The tent or display mode is fantastic for movies. That I use all the time. Thinkpad X1 carbon yoga is also great.

Depends on your budget and needs really. I think HP has one that works as a clamshell and then the top rips off to become a tablet (Surface Book also does that)

In terms of pdf annotation, battery life and light weight. I recall trying out the Surface Book 2 but the cursor did not follow the tip of the pen exactly like the iPad PRO. Tried the Yoga. It has no such issue, just like an iPad PRO. Since I only used it for a few minutes, don't know how good the Yoga is for long term use. Just feeling uncomfortable to press my fingers against the keyboard in tablet mode.

Is Thinkpad X1 carbon yoga the same as Thinkpad X1 carbon 6th gen?

Reactions: eVolcre

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
The Pen of Surface Book 2 is not as good but quite good for the Yoga. The problem is in tablet mode, my fingers have to keep pressing those keys.
Again, are you looking for a hybrid where the top rips off or a convertible like the Yoga?

The LENOVO ideapad and yoga series will have the annoying key issue. The THINKPAD yoga has retractable keys. So when you fold it over into tablet mode the keys go in and are flat.

It’s just not that good as a tablet to be honest. I thought I’d use it a lot for notes and annotations, I don’t.

Doesn’t matter to me, it’s a damned fine clamshell machine even if j never flip it around. Keyboard is amazing. Windows 10 isn’t that bad. I pretty much live in Office/browser/Kodi/email/onedrive. The underlying OS doesn’t bother me too much. I’ts been stable without viruses malware or any problems for 2 years now, that’s all I ask.
[doublepost=1528127466][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1528127276][/doublepost]

In terms of pdf annotation, battery life and light weight. I recall trying out the Surface Book 2 but the cursor did not follow the tip of the pen exactly like the iPad PRO. Tried the Yoga. It has no such issue, just like an iPad PRO. Since I only used it for a few minutes, don't know how good the Yoga is for long term use. Just feeling uncomfortable to press my fingers against the keyboard in tablet mode.

Is Thinkpad X1 carbon yoga the same as Thinkpad X1 carbon 6th gen?

You added more as I was posting. You must have tried the ideapad brand which, IMO, is horrible. Thinkpads are rock solid and at a whole another level. Like I said, the keys retract so you won’t have the issue.

X1 carbon yoga I believe is on 7th gen. A new one just came out. But yeah, it’ll be like the 6th gen, except it does the whole flippy thing.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Again, are you looking for a hybrid where the top rips off or a convertible like the Yoga?

The LENOVO ideapad and yoga series will have the annoying key issue. The THINKPAD yoga has retractable keys. So when you fold it over into tablet mode the keys go in and are flat.

It’s just not that good as a tablet to be honest. I thought I’d use it a lot for notes and annotations, I don’t.

Doesn’t matter to me, it’s a damned fine clamshell machine even if j never flip it around. Keyboard is amazing. Windows 10 isn’t that bad. I pretty much live in Office/browser/Kodi/email/onedrive. The underlying OS doesn’t bother me too much. I’ts been stable without viruses malware or any problems for 2 years now, that’s all I ask.

Thanks for sharing your experience. No preference whether the top could be ripped off or flipped to be a convertable.
Have you tried connecting it to an external 4K display?

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Thanks for sharing your experience. No preference whether the top could be ripped off or flipped to be a convertable.
Have you tried connecting it to an external 4K display?
Don’t have one to experiment. Don’t see why it shouldn’t work. I use a 24” 1080p Monitor. No adaptors needed just plug in the hdmi cable into the machine.

I’m pretty OS agnostic so my main home theater is my ancient MBa. I use a 6TB lacie thunderbolt drive. It’s formatted for my Mac but a 10 dollar software lets the thinkpad connect to it via usb 3.

I desperately needed a laptop aug 2016 and nothing from Apple ticked the boxes. Absolute main reason? The keyboards. They were all horrible. And then, a normal clamshell seemed a bit boring compared to all this flippy stuff the windows machines were doing :) granted I pretty much use it as a laptop but the movie mode is actually pretty awesome. Flipping through photos is great as well.

Price wasn’t a consideration. I make money off my machines and usually want the best but ... for way less than a MBP 13 I got a military spec thinkpad that does do double duty as a tablet when needed. I7, 512GB SSD, 16GB ram. Plenty of ports. 3 years ON SITE bumper to bumper warranty.

I mean if you’re absolutely stuck with the Apple ecosystem it isn’t an option. If you’re not, there simply isn’t any comparison anymore. You get way more for your money with a PC and given my needs it really was a no brainer. Cloud, onedrive , Gmail etc makes it pretty easy. I was a blackberry guy until a few years ago so I’d already transitioned my contacts and calendar to gmail. Syncs perfectly with the thinkpad , my iPhone X, the media MBA.

Apple needs to step up their laptop game. For a desktop AIO the iMac is king. My watch and phone integration is brilliant so iOS it is. Tablet, iPad Pro will probably be my next mobile system. I’d love a Mac nano. But actual work LAPTOPS? The entire line is **** right now. Windows is fast becoming a credible alternative.

Reactions: Sensamic

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I will be replacing my Pro 9.7 but am in no hurry to do so. I'll wait until a new model is announced either for the new model itself or a price drop on the current Pro 10.5.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I gave up at 1hr 30min. No time left for hardware reveal.
But hey! We got Animoji with a tongue, memoji and “so cool” dark mode on the Mac. WTF. No dark mode on their OLeD phone. No always on display on the OLeD phone. This is nuts

Reactions: Jd3774life

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Newer hardware would have spiced up the keynote. So boring apart from the performance improvements and notifications for iOS
Macos looks decent actually. Problem is the only thing I would buy atm that runs OS X is an iMac and my travel doesn’t let me do that. No mini, laptops are bollocks. Ridiculous.

I’m now rethinking my entire strategy of going IPP for mobile and OSX at home. May look into the surface instead and just dock it for the big screen needs in the home office. Scrivener should be coming out soon is what I’ve heard and that with a decent movie maker and a Keyboard is pretttty much all I need from a mobile machine.

Reactions: Radon87000

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
But hey! We got Animoji with a tongue, memoji and “so cool” dark mode on the Mac. WTF. No dark mode on their OLeD phone. No always on display on the OLeD phone. This is nuts
Dark Mode will come with a redesigned homescreen in iOS 13. Now that its on Mac, its virtually certain to come to iOS.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Newer hardware would have spiced up the keynote. So boring apart from the performance improvements and notifications for iOS

On the stage, they showed iPhones with an notch and iPad without.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It would've been nice if they spent more than 30 seconds on those performance improvements. A minute or two worth of demos and benchmarks would've been better than the soccer mom on her exercise bike.

Also, loss of bonus multiplier for not having memojis automatically generate from the Face ID and front-facing cameras.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I’m still using my launch day iPad Air original. Owened almost every iPad up to this one.

It does everything I need and still has epic battery life. But it’s old, and it lags on 11.4.

I would just go out and buy the newest iPad Pro, but I don’t want that old stale look for another 4/5 years. As good as it is.

The freshness of the iPhone X is one of the main fun factors. So the next iPad will be the same. Fresh.

It’s worth waiting for.

Reactions: Codeseven

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Well, just put my credit card back into my wallet. <sigh> I had it out & ready just in case new ipad pros were announced. Didn’t expect them, but was hoping. So...let the guessing begin! When will they announce new ipad pros? September with the iphones? Oct/November before the holidays? Or...gasp...not until March of next year?!

My ipad mini 2 is definitely dying. The screen is cracked in numerous places. The physical home button doesn’t work anymore, and it’s definitely sloooower than it use to be. I wanna upgrade to an ipad pro for photo/video editing and for drawing with the apple pencil at the higher refresh rate. I can hold out a little longer, but hoping an update to the pros comes this year.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I’m still using my launch day iPad Air original. Owened almost every iPad up to this one.

It does everything I need and still has epic battery life. But it’s old, and it lags on 11.4.

I would just go out and buy the newest iPad Pro, but I don’t want that old stale look for another 4/5 years. As good as it is.

The freshness of the iPhone X is one of the main fun factors. So the next iPad will be the same. Fresh.

It’s worth waiting for.

I agree.

Same boat as you. Air 1 that still works ok and an unwillingness to trade it in for a, though very capable, what will amount to just an ‘ordinary’ Pro when the Pro X comes out.

Reactions: iapplelove
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.