Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I’ve heard iPhone sales are down(?) and was thinking, if Apple releases an “iPhone 11” that looks like the X/XS with the only difference being the camera. Would sales fall even more?

My iPhone X is working great (knock on wood). Battery life is fine, speed is great no slow downs, got plenty of storage for my needs, and since I use a case it looks great. No major cosmetic issues at all. Maybe a few hairline scratches on the screen that are not noticeable at all.

I would not upgrade unless the next iPhone is a major upgrade

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I read, maybe incorrectly, that the way Apple designs its' iphones the design is finalized about a year in advance. So by that reckoning the design was set last September and it will be what it will be.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I don't care either way. And it baffles me that anyone else would except stockholders or Apple employees. How many general public people care how many jets Boeing makes? Or tractors John Deer manufactures, or how many Toyota Corollas get sold or rolls of Charmin toilet paper get flushed down the toilet?
The list is endless: toothbrushes, cans of chicken noodle soup? Cotton tee shirts? iPhones?
Who freaking cares? It's not like  is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I’ve heard iPhone sales are down(?) and was thinking, if Apple releases an “iPhone 11” that looks like the X/XS with the only difference being the camera. Would sales fall even more?

My iPhone X is working great (knock on wood). Battery life is fine, speed is great no slow downs, got plenty of storage for my needs, and since I use a case it looks great. No major cosmetic issues at all. Maybe a few hairline scratches on the screen that are not noticeable at all.

I would not upgrade unless the next iPhone is a major upgrade

I don't care if sales dip slightly. Their stock is still up, they're still making money, which means they'll still make products I enjoy... especially the iPhone which I do update every single year.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Will they slip further? Most likely. Is it due to Apple keeping the design the same? I’m not sure to be honest. It’s more market saturation then anything to do with Apple.

You can go out tomorrow and buy and iPhone 6s or iPhone 7 and get the same experience you will get with the iPhone XS Max or the XR.

Same things goes for the Galaxy devices. The Note lineup, the Pixel’s... its just to that point. Sort of like the flip phone. Once Motorola released the Razr it was pretty much over. They brought the Krazr and different ones, but it never matched the Razr... were in a similar situation now.

Reactions: Oridus

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The smartphone market in developed nations is pretty saturated now, and any flagship phone made in the last 3 years is still fast and capable of doing just about everything. Until something truly revolutionary comes along, smartphone sales aren't going to be increasing for anyone.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I think sales are andiredt result of market saturation and the fact that phones are lasting longer. Add to that the cost of phones now and you have a trifecta.

I guess that's my long winded way of saying that I don't expect visual overhaul to really be a main deciding factor.

You make a good point. Prices are high. I think the "thousand dollar phone" everybody was talking about when X was released really made an impression in people's minds.

I wonder if Apple had instead priced it at $899 or even $949 if they had made more sales and overall more profits.

I'm sure a lot of people were saying at the time, "I'm not paying a thousand dollars for a phone!"

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
You make a good point. Prices are high. I think the "thousand dollar phone" everybody was talking about when X was released really made an impression in people's minds.

I wonder if Apple had instead priced it at $899 or even $949 if they had made more sales and overall more profits.

I'm sure a lot of people were saying at the time, "I'm not paying a thousand dollars for a phone!"
2 years later a lot of people are still saying this and I’m one of them;)

Hopefully sales drop further down and force Apple to release this rumored Asian phone worldwide

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

A $50 discount off $1000 phone is not going impact iPhone sales to be more successful, the only thing that matters, is smart phones are a commodity, consumers don’t want to spend a thousand dollars on a phone, when they literally all do the same thing from a year-to-year basis, just with some technological advancements.

Also, there are other markets such as China, their economy can’t support a $1000 phone, which is why Apple had to make adjustments over there and one of the main reasons why the XR was even created in the first place.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think the sales dip across the industry has anything to do with the look of the iPhone to be honest. If you think about it between 2008 and 2015 we had a technology race in the smartphone industry. Companies were trading blows with new exciting developments and this has ultimately sculpted what a consumer now expects out of a device. It’s an all too familiar product and there is no longer a need to be upgrading every 1 or 2 years in order to make huge gains or miss out on anything significant. People are keeping phones much longer than they used to and the fashion element of having the latest and greatest smartphone seems to have diminished significantly.

Companies like Apple raised prices of phones to combat the shrinking of sales but the knock on effect of this is this will encourage people to keep iPhones longer still to get the value out of them. The long and short of it is the market as a whole has shrunk and going forward we can only really expect it to continue to tick along in a healthy way. The boom of 5 years ago is likely never to be repeated.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
It's not the design that sets them back. The design is still fresh and one of the best IMO.
It's the price to features ratio. Not only they're currently quite pricey, but Apple continues limiting some new features on iOS 13 to the newer iPhones (for example).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's not the design that sets them back. The design is still fresh and one of the best IMO.
It's the price to features ratio. Not only they're currently quite pricey, but Apple continues limiting some new features on iOS 13 to the newer iPhones (for example).
What features in the production release of ios 13 are being limited to newer phones?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't care either way. And it baffles me that anyone else would except stockholders or Apple employees. How many general public people care how many jets Boeing makes? Or tractors John Deer manufactures, or how many Toyota Corollas get sold or rolls of Charmin toilet paper get flushed down the toilet?
The list is endless: toothbrushes, cans of chicken noodle soup? Cotton tee shirts? iPhones?
Who freaking cares? It's not like  is on the verge of bankruptcy.
You wouldn't invite Boeing into your living room, yet some (maybe very many) have invited Apple into their homes (in a literal and metaphorical sense). Sales is an objective number and one way some opinion about the health of Apple can be measured, when discussing the many things Apple. That is the only reason for bringing it up if if one is not management or a shareholder or the board.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
To answer the thread, yes I think sales will fall, unless they do heavy promotions, like increasing trade in values again, like they did this year.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To answer the thread, yes I think sales will fall, unless they do heavy promotions, like increasing trade in values again, like they did this year.

Well, Apple has been doing ‘Promotions’, technically. I mean, they’re pushing the XR through trade-in/incentives, but there was an interview with Tim Cook back in January, where he said they were going to focus more on services moving forward, so I expect a decent part of the keynote to focus on what Apple will alter with trade-in/promotions.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I don't think 5G is gonna boost sales signicantly. Of course I wouldn't know, but my guess is that most people won't even benefit from it.

I mean, are people gonna start streaming 4K videos on the go???

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well, Apple has been doing ‘Promotions’, technically. I mean, they’re pushing the XR through trade-in/incentives, but there was an interview with Tim Cook back in January, where he said they were going to focus more on services moving forward, so I expect a decent part of the keynote to focus on what Apple will alter with trade-in/promotions.

Yeah I'm sure services will be discussed, as it should. But if there aren't any significant changes this year, just like last year they'll probably increase trade in values to get people to buy the newer iphones.

Apple knew this in advance hence why they do not announce sales anymore of iphones. The sales aren't growing year over year, which is fine because it's impossible to grow every quarter, every year.....

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
depends what other features are on phone. I don't care about design I care about function so if enough new functions sure.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
There are People that will buy it but the question is .... Why am I buying a similar model iPhone if 5G is coming next year?

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015

I think that Apple misinterpreted the success of the iPhone X. This phone was meant as a "special edition" premium iPhone for the 10th anniversary and the Apple fans with a premium price over $1000. The standard iPhone at that time was the iPhone 8 with a much lower price. After so many people bought the iPhone X Apple priced the nearly identical successor iPhone XS even higher although the iPhone X features are not that much special any more in 2018.

Only the iPhone XR has a lower price but that was a different phone and not a real successor to the iPhone 8...(although I like it...)

If Apple launches again a nearly identical iPhone 11 compared to the X for over $1000 they might get in real trouble....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think sales are andiredt result of market saturation and the fact that phones are lasting longer. Add to that the cost of phones now and you have a trifecta.

I guess that's my long winded way of saying that I don't expect visual overhaul to really be a main deciding factor.

I think you nailed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.