If Apple extended to becoming a mobile phone carrier/network - Nice little poll!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DryEyez, Nov 12, 2011.

?

Would you sign up to Apple's phone network if they created one

1. Yes - Apple is the best :P

47 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. No - I would stick with my current carrier

36 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

If apple extended to become a mobile phone network, would you join their network or stick with your current carrier.

I added a nice little poll to see if people would, also added a few top questions which might give people, such as myself an insight into why this would or wouldn't be a good idea or even viable.

PS I have been drinking the Apple kool aid.

1. Would this be possible/make logical sense?

2. What would the pros be?

3. What would the cons be?

4. Think it will ever happen?

I post this because I often wonder as I imagine many of us do what Apple's future endeavours will be...and the fact Apple do have complete control of their products, this is the one area where arguably they don't.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

a carrier standpoint is too much overhead if you think about it, millions of dollars in towers, or leasing them.

4. Brazzy macrumors regular

5. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

+1

Don't ever see it happening.

6. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

In what sense doesn't it fit the business model? It is not innovative or?

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

although I doubt it would happen I would. Even though it would cost a bundle I am kind of sick of the service and the way I am treated with my current carrier.

8. Pooshka macrumors 65816

A friend of mine told me the same thing when I wished for Apple-branded phones back in 2005. :rolleyes:

9. derickdub macrumors 6502

They're two completely different industries. You don't see carriers making phones do you?

10. BeardedOrc macrumors member

11. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

And it's certainly not innovative, considering the number of wireless carriers out there.

12. Pooshka macrumors 65816

How conformist of you. Way to go, brutha.

13. Mr D macrumors 6502

Would be an extremely risky venture, and they'd have to start extremely small... but imagine iPhones only on Apple's network.

14. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I would so go to it because I'm sick of these other carriers.

Cons: It would probably be overpriced

15. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

apple mobile is the best , but always has issue ,.and never perfect 100 %

16. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Absolutely. And I would subscribe to an Apple ISP, cable service, and land line telephone.

I would buy an Apple fridge, washer, dryer, dishwasher, car, microwave stove, lamps, and beds.

I would buy Apple insurance, go to an Apple hospital, get an Apple credit card, and go to the Apple store.

I would happily contribute my income and sales tax to Apple so they can build and maintain the roads and sidewalks I use every day.

If it could happen, I wish the universe were Apple.

17. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally, I would be glad to pay the little extra...I don't know what it's like in the US but my personal opinion of the UK is pretty crap customer service. I buy my apple stuff for two reasons.

1. They're great.
    2. I know I will receive good customer service.

I would switch to an Apple network in a heartbeat, purely for the customer service. 3 (UK) sucks ass...

18. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I think you misunderstood the OP. It's a hypothetical question. There is no current "apple mobile".

19. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Would be pretty interesting I would try it out

20. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

No it probably would not happen from the business and practical standpoint.

1. The carriers have to subsidize the phone out of their own pockets and if Apple start a mobile carrier they would have to subsidize it too to be competitive. This is less profit.

2. They would have to compete with the carriers they are selling their phones to which will cause more tension.

3. Their network will only support iPhones or other phones as well will be unknown.

4. If they just made their phones available on all major carriers then they are reaching a bigger customer base. They won't have to worry about managing a celluar network and infrastructure on the side.

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Yes it does. Their business model is "sell more hardware." Being a carrier would lead to more hardware sales. They don't make much money at the iTMS alone, but it helps them sell a boatload of devices. Apple is the end to end experience company. This is the next logical evolution.

Plus, with some $80+ billion in the bank, they could easily buy Sprint, Clearwire and Lightsquared, then expand and improve the network. Ask Verizon if carriers are a profitable business.

22. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

This was my same line of thinking when I created the thread. I know some people also commented it's not the industry that Apples in, but neither really was music to begin with or phones. Apple does what Apple chooses and always does a great job of it.

23. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

No thanks. Would be goddamn expensive. I'm happy enough with the prices we have in the UK at the moment.

24. takeshi74, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

No.

When in the past have they made such massive investments in infrastructure on the scale that would be required for them to operate as a brand new carrier?

No, it doesn't. They've never been an infrastructure company. What infrastructure have they acquired for the development of their existing products?

How, exactly? Where are these iPhone buyers that you imagine coming out of nowhere? Where are the numbers to back up your assertion that there are buyers that aren't buying the iPhone because Apple isn't a carrier? It would mostly shift sales from existing carriers to this hypothetical Apple carrier.