If Apple made a Jailbreak "proof" phone, would you still say its the best?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jan 18, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Id be interested to hear this one.. If you could no longer jailbreak future iphones, would you continue buying them?

Personally id think about other phones at that point unless Apple added some of the same abilities with the firmware that you can do on jailbroken phones. Themes, privacy, background processes, calendar on home screen, etc etc... The list goes on.

I think if they took that away, Id probably just go to a different company that would allow me to do more with my phone.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, because that is impossible.

Nothing is hack-proof. ;)

Name one company that lets you do more!

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yup, I would continue to buy... Love my iPhone with and without a jailbreak.

4. doobi18 macrumors 6502

1) Yes, even without j/b, the iPhone would still be miles ahead of any other phone on the market for me

2) THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY. Keep in mind, "Jailbreak Proof" is nothing more than a hypothetical. As far as Apple is concerned, each new model is indeed Jaibreak Proof, but people with the right skills and enough time can always crack it!

//doobi18

5. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

+1 to that!
    I love my iPhone not jailbroken.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

In my opinion, when the app store was released Jailbreaking took a huge leap to the back seat. I still have mine Jailbroken for quick access to Bluetooth but I could definitely live without it. The app store offers plenty for me.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't care about the jailbreaking, so in my case it isn't a factor. I don't think it would affect sales much outside the geek market.

8. Cask Guest

Well I have never jailbroken my iPhone 3G that I got since launch day, I just had no need to. Like others have said, the app store pretty much replaced the need to jailbreak. I used to have my 1st gen jailbroken and applied themes and all, but always went back to the default. It just looks much better. Jailbreaking for me was nice when there was no other way to get 3rd party apps to the iphone, but now, I in particular don't need it.

9. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

JB'ing sucks the big one.

It's overated hype pushed along IMHO by "cool wannabes".

10. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

The functionality and ease of use would plummet for me without Jailbreaking. It's the only reason I have kept mine.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... we just "wannabe" using our phones to record video, have background applications, and cover the holes that Apple has left.

"See, that was a little play on words there. That, that was... it was, there..."

12. spring macrumors regular

^ How do i run background apps with my j/b'ed phone??

13. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Thank you. There is nothing wannabe about jailbreaking, except for wanting extra functionality

14. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

With "Backgrounder" it's on Cydia

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get Backgrounder from Cydia.

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's funny, because to this day I'l never understand why someone won't want to Jaibreak their phone. Usually it's because they don't know the actual rules about "voiding your warranty".

A better response would be that they would have no use for the extra customization.

17. TheMBC macrumors 6502

18. synagence macrumors 6502a

The current iphone / ipod touches are meant to be jailbreak proof.

Look at trouble the dev team has had with Redsn0w ... the new devices only want to boot an apple signed kernel ...

Yes they probabily will find a work-around but as Apple themselves have admitted, its a cat and mouse game.

But either way, i don't have a need of jailbreak so i don't care anyway

19. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

You can hack anything. Jailbreaking is just a simple way of doing it for non tech heads.

And jailbreaking expanded the range of what my itouch could do and forced Apple to start opening the device up. If the Ebook jailbreak app didn't come out, it's likely that the Stanza app wouldn't be out, or would have to be paid for if it was.

Homebrew forever.

20. deadsouls macrumors regular

the iphone is a piece of junk without jailbreaking.

21. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

I think JB'ing them makes them junk.

Unless you like a laggy phone that needs to be rebooted all the time and has crap battery life.

22. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You do realize that both of those problems aren't caused by jailbreaking, but rather by the software that some people install, right?

'cause otherwise you'd just be parroting FUD...

23. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

That's just semantics. You jailbreak your iPhone to PUT those programs on.

Winterboard is a lag culprit. The GREATER % of people who JB install Winterboard.

I'm just sick of people saying JB'ing doesn't produce lag when it does.

24. OverandOut macrumors member

I've had my iPhone 3G since it was released in July and I wouldn't care to jailbreak it, it's got everything I need on it now.

So yes, I would continue to buy...by that time, Apple may have added new software to accommodate that activity anyway, they haven't managed to stop anyone doing it so far. Can't beat them, join them :D

25. synagence macrumors 6502a

I ran my old ipod touch JB'd for ages but the day the appstore hit i switched back and now i can't see any compelling reason to jailbreak anymore

Video recording and MMS are the only 2 benefits as i see them and i don't need either