If Apple refuses to fix the signal issue, they can't keep selling the iP4 by law

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 0dev, Jun 30, 2010.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

There's a consumer protection law here (in the UK, though I'm sure the US and many other countries have similar laws) which states that items sold have to be fit for purpose. A phone that can't get a signal without an accessory isn't fit for purpose.

Ergo, unless Apple fix the problem which they're currently pretending dosen't exist, they're going to find themselves in trouble - they may even be forced to recall the affected products.

Telling customers to hold it different or buy a case won't do.

Point is, even if Apple denies it's an issue, disagreeing regulations could still force them to sort things out.

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Apple's lawyers will say otherwise.

3. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Some regulatory body is going to have to judge the iPhone 4 not fit for purpose. I suspect that may be difficult, however i'm fully for it. Burn Apple, burn.

4. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

but not always Apple could win. this time it's a matter. they chose wrong design to boost signal. but exterior antenna is not new, and many companies already tried that way before. why all suddenly they drew it? it's about health problem, and blocking so much. more likely interfere. I hope that Apple will have some serious public issue in this time.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

people are so dramatic. It really isnt that big of a deal. unless your sitting there looking for it to happen its not going to effect you. however apple will fix it im sure.

6. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

iPhone 4 has barely been out for a week and people need to be patient and allow them to fix it. And i know patience shouldn't be an issue for anyone since most people who didn't pre-order waited in a line for hours.

7. bababoey14 macrumors regular

i think a group of people or lawyers need to get on Apple if for nothing else to get them to acknowledge the problem and try and fix it. If Apple doesn't respond soon I hope we see some legal actions against them

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, so then they'll be forced to give people cases for free when they buy one.

Whooo. Exciting. :rolleyes:

9. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Will Apple go to jail? Will there be an episode of COPS where a shirtless and drunk Apple will be loaded into the backseat of a police car?

Visual: person in a big apple costume, only leags and arms sticking out, cussing and staggering, cop's hand on it's "head" when being shoved in the car.

10. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Total BS! It's a MAJOR issue and I've had the iPhone 4 since 9.30am launch day.

I really hope the UK laws that protect customers can stop Apple from saddling iP4 owners with dramatic signal loss to where calls fail and no data can be downloaded. A case makes a difference, but the issues persist even with one in lots of areas, instead of no data or "call failed" you'll just be slowed down in good reception areas but still disconnected in weaker signal areas, which like I have experienced can be just a few meters apart. It's a real pain in the neck, especially when you have to make a call and are worried about how you're holding the phone.

Apple have chosen to not allow people to replace their phones over this issue and they won't even offer a free case to help mitigate it. That's wrong and I'm ashamed of Apple. Last Friday a level 2 technician at Apple told me they would replace the phone if they couldn't fix it. This week the same guy tells me that they won't replace it. He spouted out almost word for word the talking points in that leaked memo to Apple employees. I have always had good service from Apple and last Friday I thought that it was continuing, this week everything has changed and Apple has betrayed those, like me, who have always put their trust in them.

11. chembox macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, Apple needs to recognize that there is a problem with their product and stop denying the truth, and if this isn't fixed in a week or two, consumers are going to be very angry.

12. Sinfire macrumors regular

The key is not everybody is having a problem. I have no issues at all with my phone. I did have an issue with my phone in a death grip and holding it that way for about 5 mins, and the signal bars would go to 1 bar, but that was fixed last night when I was playing around with my sim card.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What are you talking about? Don't they have a 30 day return policy?

They're ignoring their own policy? Do you have any sources or links to stories claiming that?

14. Sinfire macrumors regular

There is nothing stopping you from returning your phone. I thought Apple gives you a 30 day period, but if you bought it from a 3rd party vendor, then you have to abide by their rules.

15. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I think he wants a return without the restocking fee. :rolleyes:

16. diabolic macrumors 68000

That might be a slight exaggeration.

Do you mean like they have with iPad wifi connection issue?

17. UofM Canes! macrumors newbie

I don't mind waiting for a solution...I just want :apple: to acknowledge there is a problem and that they will fix it. As it stand, I have a phone that drops the cellular connection regularly because of normal use.

I just want the issue addressed publicly, so I know I won't be on the hook for a device that doesn't work well after my window for a return has expired.

I don't think that is unreasonable.

18. faith4more macrumors regular

What signal issue. I have dropped one call in a week. The 3g I dropped every other call after 5 minutes.

I can make 4 bars go down like many others. But my overall experience with this phone is fantastic and much better reception than before.

I was going to get an ATT micro-cell but my reception is so good now I do not need it unless I stand on my head, hold my mouth just so and cup phone in my left hand.

iphone 4 is a killer phone and is much improved.

19. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This is good.

20. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Returning the phone is very different from having the phone replaced.

21. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Sorry people, I've just seen that I wrote returned when I meant to write replace. I'll edit the post.

22. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

No it isn't. The primary function of any phone is to make phone calls. You cannot do this if said phone refuses to get signal when you hold it. Therefore, it is not fit for purpose.

At least they've acknowledged there's a problem and said they're working on a software fix for that. And a slightly weak WiFi signal can't be compared to a mobile phone which won't get a cellular signal when you hold it naturally.

23. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Sorry, I meant to write repace not return. I've edited the post.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

EDIT:
    Ah, gotcha.