If Apple released a 3G phone tomorrow, what would you do with your old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 30, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Has anyone thought about what they would do with their current iPhone if a 3G phone came out tomorrow?

Would there even be a market to sell the current phone, once 3G Phones are out? Yes yes yes I know that 3G is not everywhere... but still, MOST populated places are covered. And 3G phones also work on EDGE so if you get a 3G phone, you will be able to EDGE, and when 3G is avail in your area, the same phone would work.

So I find it hard to believe that anyone would buy a used current iPhone once 3G units are out.

Are these current iPhones destined to be the real "iPhone Bricks"?

2. ijohn3 macrumors member

well I love my current iPhone...most places I go does not have 3g so it is not a huge thing for me right now...If ATT does a drastic upgrade to have 3g almost everywhere then I might consider a 3g iphone..but I don't think I have to worry about that right now...

for now I am enjoying this wonderful device!

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I would continue to use the "old" phone. I would also sit back and enjoy reading the opposite of everything I read now in regards to 3G.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I wouldn't care.....I had a 3G phone from AT&T and I didn't get 3G anywhere I'd use it....and assuming the battery would be worse/the new iPhone would be thicker...I'd might fine

5. sanford macrumors 65816

Yeah, that. I don't care about 3G. If it were the standard here like in EU and Japan, and I had a smartphone specific to those regions, it would just be there. But I'm not seeking it.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Here in NYC, AT&T's 3G is pretty snappy from what I've seen. I'd probably ebay my phone. No, make that definitely.

7. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

But you think anyone would buy it?
    If someone is willing to pay $65/month for a plan, don't you think they would by a full featured phone for $399 (assuming the new phone is the same price as the old one)

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I would certainly expect to take a loss.

9. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Ok, lets clear up the 3G false info:
    1- 3G phones work on Edge too, so if you dont have 3G in your area the phone still works.
    2- 3G is considerably faster and available in most markets
    3- 3G allows you to talk on the phone WHILE you check your email or surf a web site (alot more useful than you think)
    4- You can still receive phone calls while using data, unlike our lame Edge phones.
    5- The current year is 2007...not 1984

Once you experience 3G you will wonder WTF Jobs was thinking...his excuses are lame. This phone is a cutting edge device that should be 3G capable.

As soon as a 3G phone is released, this one is gone!
    What will I do with it? I would love to shove it up Jobs a**, but I guess Ebay is more appropriate.

10. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I barely even use edge...i have wifi most places i go...

so i guess i wouldnt sweat it.

11. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Excellent summary.
    Data/Phone use is a big deal. With my Treo on Sprint, web access is almost as snappy as wifi, and while surfing, I still can receive phone calls. With iPhone, if you are on EDGE, calls go straight to voice mail. Also, I can surf.. check something online, while on a call with someone. This is a BIG deal and 3G will bring this soon to iPhone.

So my question then is... what do you hope to get on Ebay for the old device?

12. Twinkie macrumors regular

I would keep my iPhone, because I don't particularly enjoy having to charge my phone every 18 hours.

Unless Apple hires magicians, nothing's going to fix device-to-tower latency, or Li-Ion batteries that can keep the device light and functional for days.

Having owned three different 3G phones, going back to EDGE was a blessing, rather than a curse.

13. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

time to put down the pipe Twinkie

14. Amblinman macrumors regular

Actually, if you run out and buy a brand new iPhone just a few months after purchasing your last one, I'd kinda say Jobs managed to shove the new one up *your* a**. ;)

I agree with your 3G assessment but I honestly haven't found the lack of 3G to be a deal breaker on the phone. And I'm coming from EV DO on Verizon, so yes, I do think the need for 3G is a little overstated. That, and as I've mentioned in another thread, 3G service when it finally comes will not be offered for only $20 a month.

15. Twinkie macrumors regular

Coming from someone who seems to have hit the ol' Kool Aid harder than the average AT&T employee...

16. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Only on Macrumors can you find fanatics actually say EDGE is better than 3G!

No wonder Apple stock does so well.

17. IxStyleZ macrumors newbie

edge is fine with me, i dont really get annoyed by the slowness.

but what i want to see is flash player on an iPhone.

18. Twinkie macrumors regular

Actually, you can find it on Howard Forums pretty frequently, as well.

I thought 3G would be the end-all-be-all, and hopped on the bandwagon as soon as I could. Frankly, unless you're living dead center of a major city and don't leave, it isn't all that great.

Yes, a 3G phone will run on EDGE. It will also poll for 3G service like mad, and kill your battery life.

Yes, the throughput on 3G is substantially faster than EDGE, but the latency between your handset, the tower, and its link to the net is still very much there.

Saying that 3G is inherently better than EDGE for everyone, everywhere, is blind fanaticism, as well.

19. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

20. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I think you would see very little difference in perfomace between the current iPhone and a G3 phone with the current set of applicaitons that are available.

21. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I would keep my old iPhone. I dont even need edge which is why I'm not surbscribed to it.

22. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Safari would be a major difference.
    And iTunes would run on 3G (doesn't on EDGE).

23. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

i wouldn't be bothered if v2 of the iPhone comes out I am more than happy with mine :)

24. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I'd get it. But I wouldn't use it much. I'm surrounded by wifi.
    Don't like 3g or edge.
    But I like having the latest iteration.

25. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor