If Apple releases a 16" MacBook Pro later this year, how much money do you think it will cost?

If Apple releases a 16" MacBook Pro, how much do you guess the base model will cost?

• Around $3,000

• Around $3,500

• Around $4,000

• More than $4,000

• Less than $3,000

Results are only viewable after voting.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
If it effectively slots into the lineup as a third stock tier 15" model, then you're probably talking:
  1. i9 processor
  2. Vega 16 or even 20
  3. 1TB SSD
The current model equipped with those specs is $3,449+ and I can't imagine it's going to be cheaper, so I am guessing it will start from $3,499. Of course at this point there are still a lot of unknowns, it could be a new design to debut the ARM transition, it could be an iMac Pro made mobile (mobile Xeon, ECC memory, enterprise grade storage, etc) - the latter would probably mean a starting price of $3,999 or even $4,999.

Reactions: duderman67

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Yeah who knows it could very well be like the IMac Pro that costs a bunch. Like a super heavy duty device that starts at 5000. Who knows.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It certainly will be more money then the 15". Given how apple is asking a thousand dollars for a monitor stand I'm guessing the price will be very high
I think they lost their collective minds on that one. They probably figured most people wouldn't want the stand, then figured their typical margins into something with a low production run. I don't see much that improves the ergonomics or ability to adjust position. It's just a stand that's heft enough to support a very large display. While that may have taken some work, other firms have done the same thing.

Webster's Mac

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Man I'd love it if the 16" model has improved thermals, a more easy to replace battery, and different keyboard (with function and physical escape keys + Touch Bar)!

Reactions: dmi

Queen6

macrumors 604
Too much, right now Apple seems intent on milking the Mac community for all it's worth while the going is good. The bigger question is will the new MBP actually be of value? As the current one most certainly isn't. Right design, right spec price wont be an issue to professional's, equally another four years of garbage, who will care barring the college kids that want be seen a Kool...

Q-6

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'd guess a base model at $3,000. I paid about $2,700 for my MacBook Pro 17 in 2008 and I only added the WUXGA Matte screen. But I got ten years of use out of that beast. As much as I'd love a 17 or 16.5, I can't really justify it when my 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pros are sufficient for my needs. My approach on new Apple hardware will be to check out the quality issues for a year and then buy on the used or refurbished market. Apple doesn't get a blind pass on QA anymore - they will have to earn it with me.
[doublepost=1561991238][/doublepost]
Too much, right now Apple seems intent on milking the Mac community for all it's worth while the going is good. The bigger question is will the new MBP actually be of value? As the current one most certainly isn't. Right design, right spec price wont be an issue to professional's, equally another four years of garbage, who will care barring the college kids that want be seen a Kool...

Q-6
Value is different for every buyer. If the QA isn't there, then it isn't of value to me. I value reliability. I don't want to waste my time bringing in hardware to the Apple Store and losing the system for a day or week while it is repaired. A 17 inch screen would be very nice but there are a lot of Windows 17.3 inch 4K options out there if I only cared about the display.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
My guess is it will be a direct replacement for the 15" and will slot in the same price point, although Apple price points are moving up quickly. Hopefully they will remove the touch bar (but still have a fingerprint reader, Air style) and reduce the cost (to Apple and the customers).

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
I'm not sure it will replace the 15.4... my guess is that this becomes the MBP-S (as stated by another poster). To follow the naming pattern of the iPhones?

My hypothesis, OLED (per that Samsung article earlier about Apple needing to buy more OLEDs)... so you're now talking Vega 16/20 minimum... you'll also need the latest i9.... probably 512GB minimum ....

It's going to be 4000 to get in the door...

It will be decided by the screen/display quality... if they go with what Razer did which was a 1080p on their 17", their price tag creeped near 3k... figuring the apple tax... 4k isn't going to suprise me.

tigres

macrumors 601
If it effectively slots into the lineup as a third stock tier 15" model, then you're probably talking:
  1. i9 processor
  2. Vega 16 or even 20
  3. 1TB SSD
The current model equipped with those specs is $3,449+ and I can't imagine it's going to be cheaper, so I am guessing it will start from $3,499. Of course at this point there are still a lot of unknowns, it could be a new design to debut the ARM transition, it could be an iMac Pro made mobile (mobile Xeon, ECC memory, enterprise grade storage, etc) - the latter would probably mean a starting price of $3,999 or even $4,999.
These specs on a 15” come to 4149.00
I9
Vega 20
32gb ram
1tb

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Q-6
I agree with the tone of your post, as I read it, but I do feel like my 15" was worth the money for me.

Reason being:

1) I need a 15" laptop

2) I prefer MacOS

So of course I could've gotten an older model and been just fine, but I also wanted True Tone. I'm not sure which year they started with True Tone on the 15" MacBook Pro but I know it wasn't too long ago so my guess was the discount wouldn't have been all that great if I got it refurbished or used.

So that's why I went with the 2019 15" base model (6 core/2.6/16/256)

I would've been fine with Windows if I'm being 100% honest, and probably could've saved some cash for an equivalent or maybe even better (in someways) laptop...but meh. I've been using Mac for almost 6 years and I don't really want to go back to Windows.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
These specs on a 15” come to 4149.00
I9
Vega 20
32gb ram
1tb
I'm basing that on upgrading the graphics (to Vega 16) and the SSD to 1TB on the upgraded model as a minimum spec. This gives them room to charge even more for the better i9, Vega 20, 32GB and higher storage tiers while keeping the price from being too stratospheric. They might make it an even higher spec minimum for even more, but the way Apple prices things tends to be that the next step up is really tempting - so they will probably want to keep it starting from a price that you'd be eyeing it up if you're considering one of the current 15s.

Of course all that goes out the window anyway if they completely recalibrate the market it's aimed at and the pricing structure it follows. Maybe they will do it like the iPad line - pros go even more expensive and stop being the jack of all trades machines, while the 13" Air and a new 15" model fill in the general use market at more reasonable prices.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yeah who knows it could very well be like the IMac Pro that costs a bunch. Like a super heavy duty device that starts at 5000. Who knows.
Yep. It’ll finally be the suitable successor to the 17” Supermonster MacBook Pro, but it will cost the same price. :) ...adjusted for inflation. :( Sometimes I forget how expensive things actually were in years past.

In 1988, $3000 bought you a racing mountain bike that is essentially an artiste-built road bike with cyclocross tires by today’s standards. A new high end mountain bike today costs [as much as a Mac Pro] but has about 200x more technology in it than the old one, and adjusted for inflation, turns out to be an incredible deal for what you’re actually getting.

Reactions: Ries

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
$1999 16" 28w Icelake (Intel said they were reserved for premium keyboards from their partners), "normal" keyboard with faceid, one can dream.

Reactions: Sunshower

CocoaNut

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
Switzerland
I reckon a base MBP 16" would go for $2'999, with a quad-core i5, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD, and I wouldn't be surprised if a top-spec model with i9, 32GB, 2TB and Vega 20 topped $6'000.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I think it'll slot into the space of the 15". I think going edge to edge is just catching up with the competition and that the laptop might be slightly bigger to get better thermals for the new keyboard. I don't think apple is doing this just to have another tier of laptops.

Rather, I think the 16" and eventualy 14" is just apple's way of getting out from the butterfly switches but remain thin.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
My bet: the 16" will replace the 15" MBP with higher-end GPU and will have the same starting price (around $3,049.00). It will come with a i9 Coffee Lake R and an AMD Navi GPU + HBM2/3. Next year or soon thereafter the 15" will be then discontinued and the prices will go down to what the 15" costs now.

Reactions: richinaus

pallymore

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Boston, MA
My bet: the 16" will replace the 15" MBP with higher-end GPU and will have the same starting price (around $3,049.00). It will come with a i9 Coffee Lake R and an AMD Navi GPU + HBM2/3. Next year or soon thereafter the 15" will be then discontinued and the prices will go down to what the 15" costs now.
Nah, apple prices never go down.
It's definitely going to be (much) more expensive with the same configs as the 15 inch.

CE3

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
I see a potential 16" variant as the new redesign for MacBook Pro. The bezels will be reduced, so it'll have the same footprint as the current 15" models (perhaps a little lighter or smaller), and the keyboard will be redesigned.

I'm going to be optimistic and say the base model will be similarly priced as the current 15" models.. maybe 100-200 more.

Reactions: eattherich