Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
I'm thinking about getting AppleCare+ for my new iPhone 7.

It says that Apple only charges $29 to replace a broken screen glass, which I think is a pretty good deal.

If Apple replaces the glass under AppleCare+ plan, will the phone still be waterproof afterwards? Do they replace whatever material is used to seal the phone to protect against water?

Thanks!

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

It says that Apple only charges $29 to replace a broken screen glass, which I think is a pretty good deal.

If Apple replaces the glass under AppleCare+ plan, will the phone still be waterproof afterwards? Do they replace whatever material is used to seal the phone to protect against water?

Thanks!

Well yes is will be as new.

Worth mentioning though that the iPhone 7 although 'waterproof' this feature is NOT covered by apples warrantee.

So I wouldn't shower with your iPhone 7!

Reactions: macTW

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009

Thanks!
The amount of water resistance will be the same after a screen replacement. The iPhone 7 is not waterproof. AppleCare+ does cover water damage. You have two incidences of accidental damage that are covered. Regular AppleCare, which is the standard, free warranty, does not cover accidental damage.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
by "waterproof" I mean it can survive being dunked in a glass of ice tea, no? (that's how I killed my last phone, a Nexus 6P)

No, you can't dunk it in anything. It is water resistant which means that if it gets splashed it should be okay but there are already people complaining that their phones have died due to being dropped in toilets etc... My advice? If you are concerned about water then get a case that will protect it.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
No, you can't dunk it in anything. It is water resistant which means that if it gets splashed it should be okay but there are already people complaining that their phones have died due to being dropped in toilets etc... My advice? If you are concerned about water then get a case that will protect it.
It is officially rated IP67, which if you want to get technical means "can withstand being submerged in 1m (about 3.3 feet) of static water for up to 30 mins" If it cant survive being dropped in a toilet or a small slip into the sink then their rating is trash.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
It is officially rated IP67, which if you want to get technical means "can withstand being submerged in 1m (about 3.3 feet) of static water for up to 30 mins" If it cant survive being dropped in a toilet or a small slip into the sink then their rating is trash.
But being submerged is not the same as dropping it onto a surface that is underwater. If the phone hits a hard object it is possible the force of the impact will compromise the water seals. Now, if the phone gets rained on and becomes water damaged then yeah, the rating is trash.

Reactions: Rina11 and daflake

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015

What I mean is that when Apple perform screen glass replacement, they will need to open the phone up, right? I assume that will yank off whatever water resistant material(seals, glues, etc) that was installed at the factory. When the Apple tech puts on the new screen glass, will a new water resistant material be installed as well? (to restore it to nearly the same water resistant level as before)

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
What I mean is that when Apple perform screen glass replacement, they will need to open the phone up, right? I assume that will yank off whatever water resistant material(seals, glues, etc) that was installed at the factory. When the Apple tech puts on the new screen glass, will a new water resistant material be installed as well? (to restore it to nearly the same water resistant level as before)

yes, their replacement display should have all new seals. it would be dumb if they didn't. they have to repair the phone and make sure it was as factory. or if something goes wrong they replace the whole device.

Reactions: Retired Cat

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

This is true, but...

But being submerged is not the same as dropping it onto a surface that is underwater. If the phone hits a hard object it is possible the force of the impact will compromise the water seals. Now, if the phone gets rained on and becomes water damaged then yeah, the rating is trash.

...this is also true. You could add at least one other variable that could affect IP67 performance in real life: temperature. I can almost guarantee that a device that survives 15 minutes at 1M at 20 degrees C would fail if submerged for 15 minutes at 1m at 40 degrees C. I don't *know* that about the iPhone, but I have been a watch fan for years and it is not unheard of to have owners of watches rated for 200, 300, 600m or more report failures when they wore the watch in a warm shower or (worse) a hot tub.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
This is true, but...

...this is also true. You could add at least one other variable that could affect IP67 performance in real life: temperature. I can almost guarantee that a device that survives 15 minutes at 1M at 20 degrees C would fail if submerged for 15 minutes at 1m at 40 degrees C. I don't *know* that about the iPhone, but I have been a watch fan for years and it is not unheard of to have owners of watches rated for 200, 300, 600m or more report failures when they wore the watch in a warm shower or (worse) a hot tub.
now you're just throwing out numbers with no evidence. please stop. unless you have facts to back up that claim then go ahead and post them, not just "i had friends that....." you really don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
How water resistant the iPhone is after repairing, really depends on the person who repaired it. He may use a sealant and then he may not.
Yeah this concerns me slightly .. my iPhone 7 has been sent off to Apple for power issues (standby drain), due to hardware fault. Now they will either fix the problem and send it back or send a replacement phone. I would ideally prefer a replacement since it was faulty from the factory new and If I get the same phone back repaired it may not still have an IP67 rating if the seals aren't replaced after repair.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
This is something I've voiced my concerns and apprehensiveness about numerous times. Wish there was something official stated about this.

I do feel like when they replace screen assembly under AC+ it would come with new seals, but is that all their is to water resisting phone? Factory where made didn't require some special procedures to set glue etc that Apple Store can not provide...?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
now you're just throwing out numbers with no evidence. please stop. unless you have facts to back up that claim then go ahead and post them, not just "i had friends that....." you really don't know what you're talking about.

I've got a great idea for you. Boil your iPhone 7 in 6" of water for 15 minutes and get back to us on the results.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
yes, their replacement display should have all new seals. it would be dumb if they didn't. they have to repair the phone and make sure it was as factory. or if something goes wrong they replace the whole device.

This.

People should keep in mind that Apple will have trained their repair employees at the store on the specifics of each device and the repair procedure. It's extremely unlikely (realistically I think probably 0% chance) that Apple would omit waterproofing seals from the list of components required to be checked/replaced during a display repair.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

It doesn't exactly mean that. It means that the sample group, under strictly controlled circumstances, achieved this. A water resistance rating is not a guarantee that any particular rated product would survive the test. That said, I have heard that Apple qualified for a higher water resistance rating and decided to voluntarily forego that rating because of the risk of customer confusion. If that's accurate, more iPhones would survive the rated submersion than is typically the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.