If Apple revises the hardware, will you expect your current phone to be replaced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chwisch87, Jul 18, 2010.

?

If Apple updates the iPhone 4 hardware without the antenna issue ...

Poll closed Aug 2, 2010.
  1. I do not expect my hardware to be replaced.

41 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. I would wish to have my current phone replaced, Free of charge.

127 vote(s)
    65.1%
  3. I would be willing to pay a small fee (less than 50 to 75 dollars), to replace my current iPhone 4.

27 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

So essentially, the major concern a fair number of us iPhone owners is if Apple revises the hardware in say, September when free cases ceases, will our iPhones be replaced?

I mean this is a question Apple didn't answer clearly as to what they plan on doing it fix the issue going forward probably because they still are weighing all the options possible.

I don't want to return my iPhone, but I don't want to get stuck with something if apple produces something without the antenna issue (within reason of course, i am talking about outside the normal tick-tock cycle).

Being that many people on macrumors are of course choosing not return their phones and limp a long with older hardware for a few months ... lets take a poll.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple will revise the hardware and will gladly replace your defective phone at an upgrade fee come june 2011 when they release the new iPhone 5.

Apple is seeing this as a non issue because people are voting with their wallets, and at a 1.7% return rate, why fix whats not broken (in the eyes of Apple) so until that number gets higher, Apple won't do a thing.

Also, sept 30th is the end of the financial quarter for Apple, so financially they will have to re-access the issue in september and see if the media frenzy has calm down enough for them to continue to sell these bumpers at $30 fee, because in the end, Apple is a public company and has to make money for its shareholders.

3. 101AirAssault macrumors member

As poster ^ said, why fix what's not broken. He added in apple's eyes but I say in the majority of iPhone 4 users eyes. There is NOT a problem with the phone. Less than 1 call dropped per 100 calls over 3gs tells any person with common sense there isn't an issue. Like another said, people are voting with their wallets and apple is laughing all the way to the bank. Sorry but the numbers don't lie, there isn't a problem with the phone. Every one's reception varies.

4. Sinfire macrumors regular

Keep in mind products go thru several revisions thru-out their lifespan. This could be a reason why a full recall was not issued. If people have working phones, or have gotten around the signal issue by using a case, then there is no need to replace their phone, as they are able to use their phones on a day to day basis without any issues.

As phones break down, they can be replaced with the updated model that has the signal issue fixed. This is a much cheaper way of swapping out bad phones for good phones.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Nope. I don't get to trade out my computers or iPods when they revise them so don't see why I would be able with my phone.

6. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

then please explain to us that despite iphone 4's much better reception stance due to the new antenna, why is it dropping more calls than the 3gs??? anyone with common sense would know that this IS an issue.

7. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Noneless, if the iPhone 4 is dropping more calls than the 3GS when it was expected to have a far more superior antennae system, there is obviously something wrong here. This technology should be an improvement in what it was meant to do best (phone calls), and if nothing has improved, then it can't be dubbed an "improvement."

There will be some kind of revision, but we just don't know how soon it will be released. It could be a silent release, or it could be in the form of an "iPhone 4s" or even "iPhone 5."

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

8. gavinfabl macrumors regular

gavinfabl

If the phone is modified , yes of course, then we can hopefully not use a case. Also resale value would be affected and why should we have a second rate handset.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well I don't believe Apple's numbers for dropped calls. Had 4 replacements and they all drop calls in great AT&T 3G coverage area. And 3 different friends (2 in different large cities) have a similar experience. On top of that data rates are not really that good, even after 4.0.1

2 office collegues use the Bold 9700 and have never dropped a call and have great data rates...... just saying the IP4 is not the device Apple hoped it would be because of the antenna design. There's a reason they were the first to deploy an external antenna configuration.

10. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

If they make any changes and fix the issue within the Applecare warranty period then yes I would expect them to replace my unit with a new fixed unit.

The big issue I have with this whole situation is resale value. What is going to happen if Apple releases improved hardware? Those of us who have early hardware will be screwed when we go to sell them. That is my primary concern with this whole thing.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Early adopters = beta users. This is how the tech industry works. Version 2 always...ALWAYS....makes improvements on the design. And in the process often introduces NEW unintended consequences with THAT design, making the way for version 3. Its a cycle. Expecting anything you buy to be perfect in every way is a sure path to disappointment.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No. If I was that unhappy with my phone I would return it.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Having Apple replace all existing phones is an unrealistic expectation. If there were going to recall them they would have done so already. Waiting until the end of September (or beyond) to do it would be extremely costly for Apple since there will be so many iPhones in users' hands by then.

14. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The amount of more calls it drops as compared to the 3GS is negligible though. How can you be certain that the extra call of yours that's dropped for every 100 that you make has to do with a faulty antenna and not some other variable such as Jobs described with the cases? There are many variables.

And why are you certain that the new antenna system makes no improvements from the old system? The new design receives better reception, and some people in weak coverage areas are now getting reception where they wouldn't before with previous iPhones.

15. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Sorry thats now how it works with all industries and when that happens with most products, it's a new model or revision/version number. That's not the case with cell phones.

Now its not uncommon for manufacturers to tighten up manufacturing tolerances and subsequent batches feel better and have less defects. I had this happen with the BB Tour last July. RIM received many complaints of the feel of the trackball so they made improvements of the manufacturing of the trackball assembly within a week or two of release and people were allowed to switch for the new units.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For a fee to cover Apple's cost to replace is fair. All companies tweak designs during a model's life. Sometimes for better, other times w/ cheaper components than the original model. PS3 comes to mind there. Apple is giving cases out, that is our fix. After Sept. there may be a hardware fix, but we have the option now to return now w/o penalty and buy back then if that is a customers desire.

17. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

There will be no new hardware fix because then everyone would return it and ask for an exchange. The press would be on their arse. The Sept 30 is for financial reporting reasons. They cannot leave some open ended freebie would would interfere with budgeting. They will see how the next new phone is coming along, possibly looking to introduce it sooner than next June. But this is how the iPhone 4 will likely be until they refresh hardware. The timing of the refresh cycle will depend on the data - i.e., are sales slowing, return rates higher, etc. If there are all inline, then they will just proceed as usual. Also, they will force many to buy before Sept 30 who want a free case with the phone.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

So by that line of reasoning, every iPhone owner is a beta tester because a new one comes out every year. Sorry, I think that's letting Apple off too easy. And there's been 4 BTW.

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Honestly, at this point, given what they said at the press conferance, whether I'd want my iphone replaced or not, I would not expect that Apple would replace them (not practical for them and they will say they offered a case for previous phones). I would expect they will feel that they'll lose less money by just telling people with the "previous" model that the case should fix theirs and taking a bit of a PR hit rather than replacing the millions of phones they'd need to if they recalled (then again, maybe their marketers have numbers saying they'd really only have to return so many cause most likely only so many would take advantage. In that case, I could see Apple replacing the old iphones if people wanted).

Now, whether I'd want them to, honestly, I'll admit, it depends on what they did to change the design. I mean I wouldn't mind having a phone that has the issue fixed (whether it is to move the antenna where it is less likely to be covered or put a film over it). But... if they drastically changed the design and I liked the looks of my old one better (and hte new one doesn't add any new functionality besides addressing the antenna issue), I'll keep my old one cause I honestly will take it over a thicker phone or even one that has less ability to hold onto signal but when it can doesn't make me change my hold.

Honestly though, I have found several comfortable holds that keep that area open so it's not a huge deal. Which is why for me it woudl depend on if they make a fix that doesn't drastically change the looks/form or if they drastically change it (and for the worst except making the antenna less vulnerable).

20. Chwisch87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not necessarily..

This is how I think it went down. The conference was announced 20 days after the iPhone launch. That sounds to me like Steve Jobs gave his engineers 20 days to come up with something. They said to him they didn't have a software solution ready yet (if it was even possible), and that a hardware solution would take time as it would have to be approved with the FCC (even a software solution might as well).

They told him the best that could be done currently is a case. So a case it is. Its temporary in my view. Apple will fix this issue.

21. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Exactly!

My vote in the poll was having it replaced free of charge. However, I'd pay a small fee to have it replaced, too - I wouldn't be willing to pay the fee, but I'd do it.

But again, it's not going to happen. :)

22. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The 1 extra dropped call per 100 over the 3GS statistic is deceiving. For example, if the 3GS had .2 dropped calls per 100 then in reality your are seeing a 500% dropped call increase.

23. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The 500% is deceiving. You're only seeing 500% increase if the number is as tiny as .2 dropped calls. If the average number of dropped calls for 3GS users was 30, you are not going to see 500% more dropped calls on the iPhone 4. The large percentages only work on tiny numbers.

The <1 per 100 figure is much better.