If Apple sold Siri for iPhone 4, iPad 2, would you buy?

Would you buy Siri for your iPhone 4 / iPad 2?

• Yes

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Since iOS 6 will not activate Siri on iPhone 4 free, would you be willing to buy it?

Siri worked on iPhone 4 before Apple bought it and made it exclusive to iPhone 4S.

True the 4S SoaC has advanced audio processors, but that did not stop Siri on older phones. iPad 2 uses same SoaC as iPhone 4, so likely can manage just as well.

I would buy Siri if Apple sells.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I wouldn't buy it because I don't care for Siri. The only thing I like is the "Take me home" command in the new iMaps.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hells no.

Siri is a fun toy but at the moment it's nothing more than that.

I won't pay for something that is essentially still a beta product.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Siri is very useful to me, but even on my 4S, she has a tendency to mishear me frequently. I can't imagine how poorly she would hear on a 4. Example: "Remind me to find my Giant Eagle card when I get home." I get this.

Attachments

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Absolutely NOT for my other iPad 2's.

Reason: iPhone 4S is basically the same spec as the iPad 2. If the 4S can run siri, WTF can't the iPad 2? Now that the iPad 3 is out, it's also the same CPU as the iPhone 4S and it too can run SIRI, but how come my iPad 2's can't?

PURELY MARKETING MOVE to get more iPad 3/iphone 4S' sold.

No other reasons.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Absolutely NOT for my other iPad 2's.

Reason: iPhone 4S is basically the same spec as the iPad 2. If the 4S can run siri, WTF can't the iPad 2? Now that the iPad 3 is out, it's also the same CPU as the iPhone 4S and it too can run SIRI, but how come my iPad 2's can't?

PURELY MARKETING MOVE to get more iPad 3/iphone 4S' sold.

No other reasons.
Don't the iPads have only one mic? So a better audio processing codec would inherently be needed (vs the twin mics of the iPhones, that allow for easy noice cancelation).

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I have a 4S and not a 4. But I wouldn't pay over 10 bucks for it. Anything below that I would consider buying it if I had a 4. But honestly, the feature should come free. It's not worth paying for, especially if it's a beta.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
i would buy it,
if apple offered to give us a paid build of iOS 6,
i would take it

iv used siri on my friends phone, and i think its fun

will it happen?
don't think so...

gpat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Apple makes a major profit from hardware and sells/gives away software as an added value. That's their policy.

If you want to run Siri on unsupported devices, though, you can jailbreak them and use a proxy. Which is paid or requires a PC to stay on 24/7.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Like a lot of people I expect, I got it when the 4S came out, used it quite a lot for a couple of weeks, then the novelty wore off, and I never used it again. It's a nice gimmick which looks good on the ads but worth nothing to me personally until the technology improves a great deal.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Like a lot of people I expect, I got it when the 4S came out, used it quite a lot for a couple of weeks, then the novelty wore off, and I never used it again. It's a nice gimmick which looks good on the ads but worth nothing to me personally until the technology improves a great deal.
My experience was very similar.

In fairness to Apple, and taking an open minded approach, I gave Siri a fair trial. But it slowed my workflow / digital lifestyle flow / too much.

It represents a significant shift in how one interacts with their smartphone. I think for the seniors that are retired, living at a slow pace, or for students or young people living at home with lots of free time, they will play with it. But it's true usefulness simply doesn't fit into a fast paced, no nonsense environment. I've got better things to do with my time than to spend time with a synthesized "personal assistant."

I have my entire personal digital Eco-System fully automated & very efficient. It was designed by me, for my needs, and excels at what I designed it to do... Automate and save me time.

That it does with great speed, reliability & efficiently.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
If it were free, I'd download it, but I'm not interested in it's ability to parrot sports scores, and other than phone conversations (usually in private) I have no interest in talking at my phone to try to get it to do things. I will, though, concede that it might be handy while driving to safely call up my favorite Bowie album, which my iPhone 4 sort of already can do.

Ahhh, I might go $.99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.