If Apple wants to cut down on jailbreaking, they have to allow theming...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr.stinki, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I know many people who jailbreak only for the sake of being able to theme. If Apple could allow people to make themes and have them on the App Store for download, I believe many people wouldn't want to jailbreak anymore.

What do you guys think?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I may be wrong but I think the reason Apple refuses to allow theming is because they don't want their revolutionary (is it anymore?) product seen with somebody's butt-ugly theme on the screen.

I don't see this ever being allowed. Continue on the JB path for any customizations.

3. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

If people Jailbrake just to put themes on I am wondering how mature these iPhone users really are...

I seriously, seriously doubt the target audience of the iPhone cares about themes.

4. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I agree that Apple is unlikely to allow theming - just look at Mac OS. They allowed themes (aka "skins") in OS9, but once OSX came around, it was Steve's way or get the hell out. Allowing users to customize their user interface is not likely to happen while Steve Jobs is around.

However, I disagree that people have no interest in themes. The iPhone is primarily a consumer device, and people like to personalize their belongings. What you think is tacky and ugly, other people think look awesome. And don't think this is a immature kids only club - look at the insane number of iPhone cases. Since that's really the only easily permitted "mod" people are able to do to their iPhones, the number of different designs and colors are all over the place. Really, the only people who aren't interested in personalization are probably the most devout Apple fanboys who insist on using their Apple products au naturel because that's the way Steve intended.

5. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Apple hardly allows theming in OS X. They aren't going to allow someone to ugly up the iPhone either. You might as well keep jailbreaking, because Apple won't be announcing theming in the 3.0 update. It would totally go against everything they've ever been about.

6. aok1975 macrumors 6502

the only thing that will stop jailbreaking is if apple put the features that are standard on a smartphone. copy and paste, A2DP, video camera, MMS etc

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Seriously?

From ringtones to full themes, from cases to charms, customization is a highly popular activity around the world. Heck, almost every phone sold nowadays comes with multiple themes.

Even the iPhone allows customizing the background lock image.

I think people do care. Whether Apple cares, is another thing. They're probably worried that someone will come up with a Blackberry, Pre or WinMo theme. :rolleyes: Fine, let them censor the themes like they do with apps.

Personally, I think the amount of money they can make on themes, will attract Apple sooner or later.

8. davyreins macrumors 6502

I think having themes would be pretty cool. I get bored of looking at the same interface after a while. Maybe in the future they will allow themes to be sold in the app store?

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't think you can say the "target audience" doesn't care about theming. I'm also not sure what the target audience is as no matter which group you break it down to not everybody cares about the same features.

Personally I like themes but to be more specific the winterboard app. Right now I have my stock icons but I do use a wallpaper for my background under icons. Even an old flip phone can do that. At a minimum I'd like to see that feature.

10. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I agree. Some of the themes I see on people's phones are uuuugly.

11. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I care about the features that my phone/device has. I couldn't care less about the theme. If that's the only thing you've got to worry about, I'd say you've got a pretty good device on your hands.

I would NEVER jailbreak just to change the theme. That's having too much time on your hands.

12. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Ive tried the themes, but there is never anything worthwhile for my jb 3G

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't think anyone's saying that theming is the only thing that's missing. On the contrary, it's just one item in a list of popular features that other phones have.

14. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

No, but the original poster here said that they would have to add the ability to create themes in order to get people to stop jailbreaking, and implying that everyone hates the same old theme, which is not true.

I agree there are several features missing. I don't have the iPhone yet, but when my contract runs out in June, I'm buying one whether those features are added or not. There are too many good features for me to not buy one because of the features it lacks. And I still would not be jailbreaking.

15. Turmoil macrumors regular

I don't think Apple cares a whole lot about jailbreaking. It's a small percentage of users. They'll have themes when they are ready.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

While I agree that 95% of the themes out there are butt ugly and I personally would not want to theme my iPhone, I firmly believe that the person who bought the iPhone owns it and they should be able to do anything they want with it. We are not renting these devices.

17. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Well, they tried sending a warning of making jailbreaking illegal/against the law. It shows that they do care, but it would hardly help in their fight because my friends knew about jailbreaking by that Apple threat and started to jailbreak their iPod Touches and iPhones.

I got sick of my jailbroken phone because it was lagging pretty bad.