If Apple Watch 2 is coming this year why haven't parts leaked ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ExcitedFutureWatchOwner, Aug 1, 2016.

1. ExcitedFutureWatchOwner macrumors newbie

like for the iPhone, the factories always leak the parts and we know what to expect already...

2. Simche macrumors member

Simche

True, and you also have the watchOS 3 preview page display, showing the text "Feels like a whole new watch". This means perhaps that there won't be a new Apple Watch this fall since the update lifts the watch quite a lot when it comes to performance speed.

http://www.apple.com/watchos-preview/

I'm currently on watchOS 3 beta 3 and can say that it's very snapy, apps opens instantly and work quite good.

3. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Because a: the iPhone is more important to stock price so all hands are on deck making the 7 the 'come back' kid, and b: os3 is trying to make the watch seem like it wasn't a poorly launched product that needs a hardware change to make it good

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

5. ExcitedFutureWatchOwner thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't wait a year

I also never buy gen 1 products

6. fischersd, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Because Apple is piloting a new technology with the suppliers and manufacturers of Apple Watch. They all have implants and if they even think of leaking any info, BOOM, their head explodes! (*sigh* Steve would have been SO proud.) :D

If successful, expect all other device production to also go dark...no more leaks bitches! :) (hmm...wasn't that a Pamper's slogan?) :)

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

LOL!

You have no choice but to wait!

Enjoy!

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Several members have brought up this point, but personally I wouldn't read too much into this. There have been too many incidents when they said they wouldn't do something only to do it later, or suggest something only to do the opposite. Saying they wouldn't do tablets only to come out with the iPad, etc.

9. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I'm betting that Apple will push the "Feels like a whole new watch" ad campaign after OS-3 is released to try and get a few more sales out of the AW1 during the holidays. They won't release the AW2 until 2017.

10. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not a good assumption. We got no "parts leaks" with the Hermes AW introduced in September, and it was well after the AW streeted.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...and we got very few and very late part leaks on the :apple:Watch. Also if I remember correctly most of the leaks were related to the bands which required lots of OEMs involvement.

Here are some possible reasons.

• There is high demand and incentives to 'risk' iPhone leaks, but not as much for :apple:Watch
    • iPhone has to be produced in the 10s of millions units before launch and the :apple:Watch is a much smaller number
    • iPhone must go into production sooner and OEM parts must be available much sooner giving more time for leaks
    • The :apple:Watch requires far fewer internal OEM sourced components - less OEM's involved the lower chance of leaks
    • Far fewer employees are used in the manufacture of the :apple:Watch meaning tighter controls
    • The parts in many cases may be so similar (and small) that they are not recognized as being different

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Most the Apple watches being sold now have dead batteries which tells me they are old stock and I am betting that Apple still has a butt load to sell. Sales have fallen way off and we will not even hear about the AW2 till late in the year if then.

14. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I think the only legitimate leak we got from watch 1 was half of a cad drawing of the side and it came very very close to the official launch.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I think people forget the watch doesn't need a yearly update cycle. It hands off tasks to the phone so will hold strong for much longer. In all honesty I don't think we will see an update next year either

16. JayLenochiniMac, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Which is normal because the AW had not yet begun production, really no different from the official debut of the original iPhone and iPad that happened 6 months before production and streeting.

The bigger point is the AW1 has been refreshed twice and we got very few leaks before these refreshes, i.e., no Hermes AW, new band/AW colors (the notable exception being the new pastel Sport band colors), etc. Based on this, it's not a good assumption to say there'll be no AW2 because we've gotten no parts leaks.

17. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

They make and sell at least 2 orders of magnitude more iPhones than they do Apple Watches. The sheer volume alone makes it far far far more likely that phone parts would leak. Further, phones have an absolutely enormous 3rd party ecosystem of cases and other accessories from scores of manufacturers, making specs like dimensions that much more likely to leak out for phones than for watches. Relatively speaking, there is zilch equivalent for the Watch (yes I know they do exist).

If/as Watch grows into a (much) larger business, I would expect leaks to become better.

Reading the tea leaves, you have to figure that Best Buy is by far the biggest 3rd party seller of Apple Watch. They have been extremely supply constrained over the last few months, more so as time wears on. I think some kind of refresh is coming, and I think it'll be more than just new bands. My $.02.

18. MxChino macrumors member

Possibly because it looks identical to the first gen watch. Probably not worth taking pictures of various new internal parts.

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Don't think that's a brilliant example - relatively, it was made in very small quantities, and the only visual difference was an etched 'Hermes' logo on the rear of the watch. Doesn't strike me as being a candidate for a lot of part leaks.

The lack of part leaks certainly is a bit puzzling if we're this close to the oft-mooted September announcement. Maybe it will just be an update to the internals, or we won't see one at all until 2017.

20. JayLenochiniMac, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, that's not the only visual difference. They could have leaked any of the Hermes bands but it didn't happen. Nobody could have missed the very visually different Double Tour and Cuff bands. They also didn't leak the new Modern and Classic Buckle band colors, especially yellow and jay blue, or even the nylons. The OEM bands in the new colors were most certainly made in significantly more quantity than the Hermes.

Not to mention the yellow gold/rose gold aluminum AW.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd have thought the Hermes bands themselves were less likely to leak, as I'd assume they aren't mass produced in a factory in Asia unlike the watch itself.

Fair point about the OEM bands, but if you believe Apple's spiel about the leather bands being made in 'a small Venetian factory' or whatever, I'd again think they're far less likely to have been leaked than the watch hardware. Is perhaps a bit strange we didn't see any nylon straps.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Of course I don't believe that as it's just marketing BS. They are most certainly mass produced just like any other Apple parts. The low-end nylon straps and yellow gold/rose gold aluminum AWs were most certainly made in greater quantity relative to the higher end models and they were available the day of the refresh, yet we got no real leaks on these.

23. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

It seems that a number of the SS and SB SS variants are out of stock on the Apple Store app. That makes me think that we must be coming up on a refresh, but still thinking it will be an "S"-type upgrade year for the AW.

24. Skylined69 macrumors regular

Skylined69

I'm still 50/50 on if they will or won't release a new Apple Watch based on a few points:

1. There might not be the consumer appetite to upgrade every year (I'm not upgrading this year if it's a spec bump which can't be ruled out).

2. The Hermes strap's are aesthetic and don't add any functionality to the watch worthy of justifying that much interest in early leaks coupled with the fact they're not produced on mass in Asia would further limit the chance of leaks.

3. The iPhone is a device that most owners rely on to a greater extent than the Apple Watch which would prompt the appetite to upgrade more often whereas the Apple Watch is more of an expensive extension/accessory to the iPhone.

4. At least in the UK a lot of upgrades are tied to carrier contracts expiring every 2 years. The vast majority of iPhones in the UK are contract whereas the watch is an outright purchase which would limit appeal based on upfront cost to upgrade every year unless your a die hard fanboy.

On the other hand:

1. It may be true that production wouldn't start till later in the year based on projected demand (which apple would have a better idea of now than they did before the launch of a whole new product line) as demand will almost certainly be lower than it is for the iPhone.

2. They do habitually update on a yearly cycle if you take the iPad for instance some would have said there was no need to upgrade on a yearly cycle but they did and this helped sales.

Anyone who is certain about what will happen better be an Apple exec or they're just taking pot shots in the dark.

25. GlobeZ, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016

GlobeZ macrumors member

GlobeZ

I was 50/50 too, until I saw a number of Apple Watch & Apple Watch Sport models now listed as 'Sold Out" both on the US and UK Apple site.... My feeling is its more like 70-80% chance of a refresh in the next couple of months.

I also think that Apple will keep the existing Sport unchanged (with a price reduction) in Space Grey and Silver as the base model watch and only release a Stainless Steel / New Material / Edition Apple Watch 2 (Similar to how they upgrade iPhones and iPads). I'm basing this on the fact that it is the Gold Sport models and more expensive Stainless Steel models which have now 'Sold Out'.

That's my 2p worth...