If Best Buy activates my Verizon iPad for me, do I have to pay an activation fee?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ethana, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ethana macrumors 6502a

If Best Buy activates my Verizon iPad for me, do I have to pay an activation fee?

2. larock macrumors member

You shouldn't. But you never know what stuff BB eloyees might come up with.

This morning one was telling the crowd that buying the wifi only iPad with a mobile hotspot was a better deal than the 4G model, saying it cost $230 more for the 4G. I asked him to check his math, it should only be $130. He ran in the store and came out and corrected himself, but then went on to say your only data option is the $50 plan.....again I corrected him. I can only figure it was an attempt to lock people into a contract for a hotspot. They were aso trying to get people to buy the seagate wireless extrernal hard drive, citing it was a better value the upgrading from the 16 to the 32 or 64.

I was a little puzzled when I had to "active" my AT&T iPad in store, I didn't have to with my original iPad. Took over an hour. Didn't pay an activation fee. Once in the car I fired the iPad up and was able to transfer the balance of the originals data plan over (and keep the 2GB for $25 too). So I don't know what exactly all the activation in store was about, maybe another attempt to get a contract out of me. Others who were in line for the 4G model just picked up and walked out, maybe it was my punishment for questioning the BB guys knowledge.