If Comex charged for Jailbreakme 3.0 how much would you be willing to pay?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by db67fm, Jul 7, 2011.

?

How much would you be willing to pay for Jailbreakme 3.0?

1. Nothing, the jailbreak is great but I would never pay.

23 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. $1 or less

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. $5

29 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. $10

43 vote(s)
    30.7%
  5. $20 or more

30 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. Wha'ts a jailbreak?

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. db67fm, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

I understand that the ability to jailbreak your device should be free. But, I think that many of you (including myself) find that Jailbreakme 3.0 is so useful we would be happy to pay for it.

Just curious to see what you all would be willing to pay.

If you are interested in donating to Comex for this woulderful jailbreak, here is the link.

http://www.jailbreakme.com//#donate

2. iPhone 6 macrumors member

I don't agree with the fact that it should be free, because it's someone's hard work and they should be able to charge whatever they want from it. I would pay an upwards of ~$100, $120 is pushing it

3. db67fm, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

db67fm thread starter macrumors regular

db67fm

I think the ability should be free. But its not, we need skilled people like Comex to figure it out. He has the right to charge for his work.

4. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

As much as a good app. I'd pay around $10 I think.

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I think $5-$10 would be an acceptable price to pay for a jailbreak if the community ever decided to charge for it. There really is no reason for them to charge for it though since it's the only way to get access to Cydia and its app store. Without that the developers of apps in the Cydia store would never get their apps to the public to make money on the paid ones, or donations for the free ones.

6. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

this really goes against what 'hacking' should be.

hacking should free information to the public. it goes against the idea of jailbreaking completely, as well as creating a huge BLOCK to the devs who have apps in Cydia and earn money there as well.

there is nothing ever wrong with asking for donations. comex does, however, have the right to charge for the jailbreak, but then there would be piracy of course and i would probably support the pirates on this one.

7. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I think $10 is a reasonable price. Definitely not worth $20 or more for me, though.

8. mham93 macrumors newbie

nothing, i will never pay for something i dont need when it comes to electronics

9. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

How so? How does charging for a hack or jailbreak go against the idea of jailbreaking? I thought the idea of jailbreaking was to allow one root access to their phone and to all that that entails, that and that alone. :confused:

I am glad that comex does not charge and instead asks for donations (well deserved donations IMO) but i do not see how "it goes against the idea of jailbreaking" to charge for it.

10. Mac.World, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I believe comex and the dev team deserve compensation for their work. Hence a donation that I made.

I believe that anyone that feels this jailbreak has added to their iPad experience should donate. It could be any size donation that fits into your budget. From 1 cent to 1000 dollars. Whatever you think it's worth. :D

11. iThinman macrumors regular

Nothing.

The devs that are making $$ selling Cydia apps should pay him, they are the ones benefitting monetarily.

12. Jmouse macrumors 6502

If it start charging , then there is nothing being illegal about.

13. nealh macrumors 6502

I donated $10. I would pay for JB and I am surprised they don't charge the user and developer of apps and saurik/ Cydia. Without a JB the others don't exist.

How is it that people feel entitled to a JB? I will never used the idea I would support piracy if he charged for it.

Personally, I think he should charge for it. I bet feel developers donate to him or the JBers. Does saurik provide them some income?

Why shouldn't there work be rewarded.

14. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

maybe $5. It was hands down the BEST jailbreak I've ever done to my iPhone. I had to get mine replaced today for a faulty home button, and this made the customized process that much quicker and easier.

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I believe the dev team ever accept any donation. Who did you donate your money too?

16. The Bossman, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

The Bossman macrumors newbie

I was just thinking that very thing, Thinman. Cydia devs and anyone that makes cash from the apps on it should all be donating even more than we all do. Without Comex, none of this would even be happening.
    Now some douchebag is gonna post about being on Comex's jock or whatever, or that it would have somehow magically happened without him anyway.....but those kinda guys are just f#&@ing dicks anyway, so go ahead and Flame On from mommies basement!

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think charging for JB would drive many potential users away from it. In the end, many people just want to try it and paying upfront for something you may or may not like would be like buying a pig in a poke. There are also other JB methods (although none of them works for iPad 2 atm I think) which are free.

There could also be a legal issue preventing the sales of JBs.

18. nealh macrumors 6502

Being on the fence doesn't justify not acknowledging the work needed for a JB. The app dev get paid. Is their effort worth more?

Paying via donation is the way it would be done done necessarily advertised as for sale.

I just disagree with people saying it should get paid, it not the way of hackers etc. Then they condone piracy?

How would you feel doing this and seeing 1 million downloads and getting nothing. Then read a guy makes wif sync charges $ 10 and provides no support and sells 20,000 copies.

Comex will fix issues and stills gets nothing but people screaming it JB broke this, that etc. These paid nothing I bet but expect to fix what is broken and want it done yesterday.

JBers want it for free and yet complain or demand fixes be addressed immediately. I am amazed. If I was co ex now I would only provide the fix to donators? How's that?

19. farme macrumors member

As an iPad 2 3G user i wouldn't pay for it as of right now.
    Since the next restore (which can happen pretty fast with a jailbroken device when you're trying things out) after the baseband will have been updated will have me stuck with stock iOS, i'm not investing a dime right now into the Cydia ecosystem anyway.

20. TC25 macrumors 68020

This topic has been discussed to death and every person who starts a new thread about it thinks they are the first.

There are plenty of commercial interests whose very existence depends on a jailbreak being available, e.g., biteSMS, Cydia. They have talented programmers, just as talented as Comex, who could develop new jailbreaks. Why don't they? Two reasons;

Cost - Comex (and others) develop it for free. For all we know, they might be paying Comex via donations, although, given his lackadaisical attitude, I doubt it.

Fear - They'd be a nice target for Apple to go after. Save your altruistic and naive replies that jb was declared legal. It's irrelevant. Apple would sue them into bankruptcy.

The current model of jb development will not change until there's no longer a need for it. Apple has, and is accelerating with iOS5, features only previously available via jb apps, which is a much better way to 'fight' the jb community, i.e., assimilate them.

21. nealh macrumors 6502

Apple is moronic on JB issues. they could quietly(by pretending to look the other way) support this, allowing those who want to do it and enhance there product with no risk to the avg user who will never touch it.

1 million downloads(in a short time..not sure of the total at this point) shows Apple how important this is to the consumer. they could leave an opening allowing the community to freely and happily exist.

we only help promote how great the product is. there is no downside for Apple to do this way.

Again the avg user will never do it and those are the one you dont want to do it because they will have issues and no true support.

22. Chorx macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

I would be happy to pay $20-$25

23. TC25 macrumors 68020

This has nothing to do with the end user and never has. It has to do with the multi billion dollar app store where lots of companies and developers trust Apple to sell as well as protect their applications. So Apple can't pretend 'to look the other way.'

Big Development Company:
    "What are you doing to ensure our apps are not stolen?"
    Apple: "Because of the great advice we got on MacRumors, we are looking the other way."
    Big Development Company: "Interesting, we will either look somewhere else to sell our products and, we'll be suing you for breach of contract."

24. ethics101 macrumors regular

you bought an iPad...

25. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

I donated $5 but I would pay $10 if I had to.
    As Apple keeps adding all the features from the
    Jailbreak community with every revision of ios
    it will become less important to me to jailbreak.
    I do however think some of the best ideas came from
    the Jailbreak community.