If G5 towers are not updated by March 21st, I'm getting a Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
I am considering switching to PC specifically for Cinema 4d (render speed difference is INSANE).

I was all set to buy a Dual G5 three months ago, when a revision was due (according to Macrumors buyers guide).

It has been about 9 months since they were updated. I am extremely close to picking up a Dell for the same cost and almost twice the clock speed. I can only afford the lowest tier of the G5s, but if this next update only bumps up 300 mhz, I will switch and get a P4 with HT.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
This logic is ridiculous.

Really. If you need a P4 please go with one and stop whining. You apparently want a G5 so why not get it 9 months ago? if i had 4000 dollars to spend on a G5 guess what... i wouldn't wait. they are PLENTY fast now, and will run over any dell you are talking about. I don't understand why you would get a dell if they aren't updated then...

kyle

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Please save us all a bunch of whining and get a Dell.

It's obviously your preferred platform, plus you seem to want a specific app.

And it's not Apple's fault they haven't offered a speed bump in nearly a year, it's IBM's problems with yield and scaling the chip.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
PeterQVenkman said:
I will switch and get a P4 with HT.
HT is completely useless unless you are running a server OS. Although XP Pro will see the 2nd virtual device, it cannot use it properly.

Dumb thread btw, enjoy the Dell.

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says.....I just love these "if Apple doesn't....I am buying a Dell..." people......clock speed...right....I think it has been proven 1000 times over that clock speed is not equivalent to computer speed when comparing P4 to G5.....oh yeah!

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
edesignuk said:
HT is completely useless unless you are running a server OS. Although XP Pro will see the 2nd virtual device, it cannot use it properly.
I recently got a 3.2 GHz P4 at work running Windows XP Pro, it has HT but was not enabled by default. After about a week I realized this and went into the BIOS and turned it on. I didn't measure the times, but I would guestimate a 20-25% decrease in my compile times in Visual Studio .NET. It's not night and day, but it is a significant difference - easily noticable.

PeterQVenkman, it is obvious from your original post that you are irritated with Apple and believe the Dell hardware to be better. Based on what you have said, there is no reason not to get a Dell. Get it, enjoy your new computer.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
PeterQVenkman said:
I am considering switching to PC specifically for Cinema 4d (render speed difference is INSANE).

I was all set to buy a Dual G5 three months ago, when a revision was due (according to Macrumors buyers guide).

It has been about 9 months since they were updated. I am extremely close to picking up a Dell for the same cost and almost twice the clock speed. I can only afford the lowest tier of the G5s, but if this next update only bumps up 300 mhz, I will switch and get a P4 with HT.
Yeah. Me too.

Its not worth sticking with the rock solid, beautiful OS with a virus and trojan free environment. I dont want a system that "just works". I want more meaningless Mega Hurts. I want system crashes. Viruses. Pop ups. I want my system hacked into. I want to spend hours each week running addidional software to make sure that my computer isnt infected with god knows what.

Its worth it. Go with the Dell. :rolleyes:

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I think general consensus is, go ahead and get your Dell dude! No need to come on hear with threats, I'll let you in on a little secret...we don't care!!! ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
feakbeak said:
I recently got a 3.2 GHz P4 at work running Windows XP Pro, it has HT but was not enabled by default. After about a week I realized this and went into the BIOS and turned it on. I didn't measure the times, but I would guestimate a 20-25% decrease in my compile times in Visual Studio .NET. It's not night and day, but it is a significant difference - easily noticable.
Maybe they've changed something, because when I was on my HP server course the guy went through every architecture in GREAT (boring) detail and said that HT was only properly utilized by a server OS...meh

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I can't believe I'm bothering to read this thread and actually responding to it. :eek:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It's a troll, seems posting this once is not enough. :rolleyes:
Had this posted in another thread....

It has been about 9 months since they were updated. I am extremely close to picking up a Dell for the same cost and almost twice the clock speed.

:-(
Usually we can't expect these idiots to come back when they do a spam and run of a trollish post.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Since it's unlikely that the PowerMacs won't be updated by 21 March, I wish you luck with your new Dell now.

I remember once when my parents wouldn't let me have a new toy, I became angry and said that I wouldn't play with my old toys--that showed them. :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
hardware wise, i am ok with most pc machines...i fix them for a living and the weak point is not the hardware, it's microsoft windows

i am sure besides the processor speed, you looked at bus speed, cache, ram, and hard drive speed...but don't overlook the operating system

since windows is such a target for hackers and virus writers, it's not really worth getting a dell, unless it runs os x ;)

in the long run, either way you go, you will get your work done...but at this point in time in the computing world, os x is the safest way to go

and if you get the chance, try out the g5 for a few hours...it's a great machine and could fulfill just about anyone's computing needs

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
DUDE, YOU'RE GETTIN A DELL!!

And since you have a silly reason for the switch - I fart in your general direction, to qoute a famous French person. Geez, is the current G5 THAT bad?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I wonder how much longer the mods will allow us to beat up another Dell troll.

It's faster so it's better.

I think this guy is running headfirst into trouble.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
PeterQVenkman said:

Dells suck, if you want a good powerhouse get a Alienware Aurora if Apple is pissing you off. 9 months between updates is nuts and only Apple seems to get away with that garbage. Dell uses Intel and i aint impressed, AMD64 Athlons are better then Intels P4 and better then the G5.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Dont Hurt Me said:
Dells suck, if you want a good powerhouse get a Alienware Aurora if Apple is pissing you off. 9 months between updates is nuts and only Apple seems to get away with that garbage. Dell uses Intel and i aint impressed, AMD64 Athlons are better then Intels P4 and better then the G5.
Alienware haha! they are built in some 3rd world country in sound america and their support is a complete joke ... lol if u want a hiddeous looking case and a whole lotta trouble then get Alienware!

So let me get this streight? Apple ... being a computer manufacturer has to have the same upgrade cycle as wintel's because in the past intel/amd have increased clock speeds every couple of months? <please correct me> to sell the latest and greatest?!?!

Now... lets see Intel have themselves admitted that they cannot go any higher with their current technology... can't be done! so now they have gone back and admitted that megahertz are a myth and that their new super dooper P4M's ala 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 ghz are the best chips out their (they are better than P4's).

So why should apple upgrade their machines every 6 months and ditch old stock and re-tool their production lines and ultimately cut down on QC to have a faster turn around time....

Personally i'd rather wait a bit and get a better overall machine.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
YO! WHATEVER! If the guy wants to GET A DELL THEN LET HIM GET A DELL! wtf if up with this forum thats all APPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLE?? Can it be possible that there are better computer makers out there? IS IT POSSIBLE THAT OTHER COMPANIES MAKE FASTER COMPUTERS?? Jesus... you people need to get over yourselves. Apple makes great OS and software, but PC makes will beat the pants of Apple in terms of Hardware. Dont give me this BS that the G5 processor cant be compared to the P4. THATS ALL BS THAT SOMEBODY TOLD U! If you need speed and great hardware get a PC. If you need a great OS get a Mac. End of Story.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Southbridge said:
YO! WHATEVER! If the guy wants to GET A DELL THEN LET HIM GET A DELL! wtf if up with this forum thats all APPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLE?? Can it be possible that there are better computer makers out there? IS IT POSSIBLE THAT OTHER COMPANIES MAKE FASTER COMPUTERS?? Jesus... you people need to get over yourselves. Apple makes great OS and software, but PC makes will beat the pants of Apple in terms of Hardware. Dont give me this BS that the G5 processor cant be compared to the P4. THATS ALL BS THAT SOMEBODY TOLD U! If you need speed and great hardware get a PC. If you need a great OS get a Mac. End of Story.
No, its because he wants a DELL vs. an Apple - I mean, if he wanted to get an Alienware PC that would at least be SMARTER - a DELL is the low-end, cheap PC and apple is the high end machine - its like "Fine! IF you don't give me french fries at the biggest and most famous steak house in the country then I will go to McDonalds - they have french fries!"

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Southbridge said:
wtf if up with this forum thats all APPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLEAPPLE??
You know, sometimes it's possible to go overboard on the irony ... I still can't work out if you're joking or not, and I thought I was pretty good at reading between the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.