If Google were smart, they'd create a Android 3.0 iPad port. Would you flash it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Calidude, Mar 2, 2011.

?

Would you flash a perfect port of Android 3.0 onto your iPad?

1. No way.

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. I would at least try it.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. I want Android 3.0 but with Apple hardware and price point. I would flash it and run it full time.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Think about it:

Google doesn't give a rat's ASS if people buy hardware.

They just want people to use Honeycomb, because it would mean that people would be VERY likely to use the cloud, and thus make people into walking targets of datamining since they would sync, write Gmails, use Google services, etc.

I mean that's why they churn out all this free open-source software right? So they can get as many people into their privately owned cloud as possible and have them sign every aspect of their daily life away to Google, right?

Now, couldn't Google just release the OS in a form that is compatible with the iPad, even compatible with the iPhone, for people to freely download from Google and to flash it onto iDevices with the help of intrepid underground jailbreakers?

After all, there's only 2 devices to target, and Google couldn't be held accountable as to what Apple users do with the port, right? I'm sure there's hardware restrictions, but if Google were to just create a port, wouldn't the jailbreaking community simply only need to pave the way?

Now, the question is, if you could boot into Android 3.0 and update to 3.1, 3.2, 4.0 and so on without any hassle, would you try it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple would sue Google faster then their homepage loads. The best you'll get is iDroid.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

4. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Google would not be developing a hack. They'd be developing a port. The hack would come from the community.

I'm pretty sure this port is coming someday. Not from Google, but definitely from the community.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

6. zenio macrumors 6502

Feeling OK?

Seems like a bizarre take on things.

But then again, that's what fear of competition does.

7. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Google doesn't care about hardware being sold or competing in a tablet market. They just want to saturate the market as much as they can by putting Android on everything they possibly can, including the iPad.

If they could distribute Android 3.0 for people to put on the iPad using a method similar to jailbreaking, without being sued to hell, they would. It's all about the software for them.

All they want is for your life to be put through that cloud of theirs.

8. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Too funny!

9. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

If google were smarter they would release their own tablet with google branding (not moto, hTC, lg, samsung). Consumers like the brand recognition, but more importantly having hardware and software from google assures further development and future support. Only android phone I would own is a nexus for this reason.

10. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yep, but like I said, they don't care about competing, they just want as many manufacturers to jump on board so they can forcefeed the public the Android OS.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Android "with google" isn't open source and google make money from the phone and tablet vendors directly. Base android is open source and that's why the cheap Chinese tablets don't support the google marketplace on their devices (I.e. They use the free version).
    If a manufacturer wants maps, gmail, marketplace, etc on their device then they have to pay cold, hard cash to google in licensing fees

12. vandal138 macrumors newbie

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I just dont get this obsession some folks here have with Android 3. I have honeycomb and still don't understand their compulsion. If you really want Android just buy an android device already. Accept that when you buy an iOS device that's what you get, if you don't like iOS or feel it an inferior operating system then simply avoid buying one.

Contrary to popular belief the grass is not always greener on the otherside.

14. zodqyv macrumors regular

15. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

16. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

how are they forcefeeding it to the public? Aren't you a human with a brain? You can make decisions. Those people happen to CHOOSE Android OVER iOS. No one is forcing them to chose Google over Apple. They just don't want Apple. Don't go into denial. There are people who could care less for Apple. They're not consumed by a fruit-themed logo on the back of their devices. :eek:

Google does care about competing, or else they wouldn't keep updating Android. In fact, Android has grown exponentially faster than iOS, within a shorter amount of time. Yes, Google is making money off Android or else they wouldn't be developing it. I guarantee Honeycomb issues will be fixed by May at the latest.

I'm no phandroid, yet a sensible consumer who doesn't blindly follow/worship a brand and have that consume me. Break free of those shackles, good man.
    :apple:

17. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Which is why they'd NEVER do this, the benefit is far outweighed by the costs. Think about it for a moment, if Google themselves developed this it'd find favour with a relatively small amount of geeks who'd still be paying Apple for the hardware. In return Apple would surely remove any Google services still on the device or at least default to something else. The loss in potential advertising revenue from defaulting Safari to Bing rather than Google alone would be far more than they'd ever make back from the Android installs.

18. amammad macrumors regular

Then go get it and go find an Android board to whine on.

Seriously. Just go! :rolleyes:

19. tekker macrumors regular

Yes. Then I would without a doubt buy an iPad 2. The main thing stopping me is lack of true multitasking, productivity, and notifications, and you'd get both app stores.

It also just happens that iPad is the cheapest quality tablet on the market.