If Hillary gets the nomination, will you vote for her?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 9, 2008.

?

If Hillary gets the nomination, will you vote for her?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    51.8%
  3. Unsure

13 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Liberals/Democrats/progressives/independents only, please. We already know conservatives won't vote for her. I'm interested in how people predisposed to vote for the Democratic nominee feel.

At the moment I say no. I figure if Obama is out of the race, one crook is as bad as the other. So I'll probably stay home.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think that for the vast majority of the democrats saying they won't vote for x, it's bravado and emotion. Come election time, they'll rejoin the fold. However, the 1-5% that actually will follow through on their threats plus the independents could well decide the election.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not sure....I'd probably vote for her, but I wouldn't actively support her and won't donate a single dime to her campaign.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm unsure of what i'll do to be honest. she'd have to do something to win me back, but i'm also not sure that i'd be able to hold my nose and vote for her in any event.

i might just stay home, i know not the most patriotic thing, but at least in this manner i'm not hurting her by voting for someone else, nor am i actively supporting her. so i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I can't understand not voting for her. Didn't you people live through 7+ years of the Bush administration? Do you seriously think that she's worse than or no better than McCain?

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd do a write in for Dr. Paul

It's not a vote for her, but it won't hurt her. My way of "staying home" while still supporting a candidate I like :)

As an aside, I was proud that almost 25% of the republicans in my state (pa) voted for Ron Paul instead of McCain. For me, he was also "change" from the typical dem/gop president. I also think that, of those 25%, at least some would cross party lines to vote Obama if he gets the nomination.

P.S. I know this is a lot hijacking, but what are your thoughts on an Obama/Paul duo for 08?

7. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I'm as yet undecided, but my vote goes heavily democratic if Hillary wins, and heavily republican if Obama wins.

I'm not necessarily eager to have another 4 (or more) years of a republican executive branch, but neither am I eager to have a president who goes advertising who he is and isn't going to invade. Obama is just too inexperienced for me. And yes, this whole rev. Wright thing has not done anything to improve my opinion of him either.

While I don't necessarily agree with all of Hillary's stances, she strikes me as very competent.

On the other hand, McCain was the best person that the republicans could have possibly have put out there. Part of my decision will be based on who he chooses as a running mate (no way am I going to be cool with another Cheney).

The race I really want to see to make it actually a really tough choice for me is Hillary vs. McCain.

p.s. I'm an independent and consider myself moderate on the basis that some issues I lean liberal on, others I lean conservative on.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'm voting against McCain. I don't think we can afford BushLite.

9. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

A) 99.99999% chance it won't happen.
    B) Never, ever, ever, in life, would I vote for Ron Paul.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

pretty much agree with this........there will be some that wouldn't, just as there are going to be some repubs who wont be able to bring themselves to vote for McCain

11. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, Ron Paul doesn't isn't viable as a political candidate. He has a few interesting ideas but in the end libertarianism just doesn't work. There would have to be an event on the scale of a revolution for it to take hold.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I voted "no", though I am technically somewhere between "no" and "unsure".

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm completely unsure of what I'd do if it's Clinton v. McCain.

I liked McCain in 2000, but he's either pandering to get the base, gone senile, or revealed his true colors and just thought a more moderate message would win in 2000. I'm not sure if either of those prospects comforts me about his ideological shift.

My bet is that I'd end up voting for Clinton although it would pain me to do so, just because I don't want McCain to be the one to decide Steven's replacement on the Supreme Court and I don't think Steven's is going to make it four more years.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

15. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

plain simple no. I dont like how she has campaigned, and she has been caught in SEVERAL lies, therefore I have zero trust for her. I will not vote for Mccain either.

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

anything to avoid another 4-8 years of republicans in charge.
    they did enough damage.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nevermind the fact that Hillary has less legislative experience than Obama. I don't know why people never get that.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'm a fairly liberal democrat, and there's no way in hell I'm going to vote for her. I'd probably just write in Barack Obama.

Not that it will matter anyways, because Massachusetts will always end up being democrat. There's just no way I'm ever going to vote for her after all of the lies she's been caught in and all of the **** she's pulled/tried to pull during this campaign.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Label me as mostly a fiscal-conservative independent, not a Republican.

Sen. Clinton's views on economics and taxation strike me as extremely unwise, and are more likely to bring about the opposite of what she says she thinks would be accomplished. That's bad for everybody, regardless of party. Further, she is too authoritarian, too set in her notion that she and only she (and her inner cicle of advisors) possess Truth. That's scary.

So, a nose-holding vote for McCain, only in the hope that the worst-impact legislation from Congress might get vetoed.

'Rat

20. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

vote? yes.

volunteer? donate? campaign? defend? not sure, but as of right now, no.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It depends.

Will she get the nomination honestly without bending any rules? Yeah, I will vote for her. I won't be happy about it, but I will.

Will she get the nomination by force, breaking the rules (getting FL and MI) and whining? No, I will not vote for her.

So I voted unsure in the poll.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080509...orsement_17;_ylt=AhAZjryuuBtQxgchzc6lA_ypg9IF

Looks more and more like this discussion is academic. Obama picked up 9 superdelegates today.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think I am go with all the candidates suck this year. I do not lik,e Obama and I will not vote for him. His campain is way to much talk for me. It all about hope but no action. Sorry he just bothers me and I refuse to vote for him.

The other 2 just suck so it is any better.

All I know is Obama is the lowest on my list of people I will vote for.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The current system is working wonders. :) Do show me, though, where a Libertarian system has been put in place and failed.

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I would if I was old enough to vote.

Unless the other choice was Ron Paul, then I'd vote for him.