If I am in a LTE area per coverage map...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Sep 29, 2012.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Should I always be in LTE? I'm on AT&T and I am fully blanketed by LTE in all directions. Why does the cellular keep switching back between 4g and lte?

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Cause the Coverage maps are not accurate ! Why not get a cellular amp and external antenna and fix your problems ?

3. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I think the coverage maps are a bit ambitious on the websites. I "should" have LTE all over where I live and during my commute. In reality, it comes in goes. Tower range varies etc.

5. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Here is the AT&T disclaimer for their coverage map.. (And I'm sure it's standard fare for all carriers)

"The AT&T's coverage viewer depicts a high-level approximation of wireless coverage. There are gaps in coverage that are not shown by this high-level approximation. Actual coverage may differ from map graphics and may be affected by terrain, weather, foliage, buildings and other construction, signal strength, high-usage periods, customer equipment and other factors. AT&T does not guarantee coverage and our coverage maps are not intended to show actual customer performance on the network, nor are they intended to show future network needs or build requirements inside or outside of AT&T's existing coverage areas. Coverage maps also may include areas served by unaffiliated carriers, and may depict licensed areas rather than an approximation of their coverage."

6. twowinns macrumors member

-What is a cellular amp?
    -Do you just plug it in the wall, or does it connect to something else?
    -Is it portable (in other words...can I also take it to work)?
    -How expensive are they?

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Coverage area varies a lot due to terrain and foliage in certain areas, even though the map shows coverage. Their online maps are more of a broad generalization of covered areas. More refined maps are capable of being run, but its not prudent for them to publish those.

A cellular amp, sometimes referred to as a BDA (bi-directional amplifier) is a device installed in buildings, usually, with an external antenna outside and another broadcast antenna indoors, which boosts the signal of a selected frequency band.
    I used one successfully for a Sprint air card for a while, and also have one at my office to boost a certain non-cellular signal in the basement.

8. twowinns macrumors member

Thanks.

Doesn't sound like I could set this up without my employer's permission or assistance. They have something like this for Verizon, since that's the carrier the Company uses for business phones. Unfortunately, for this situation, I'm with AT&T.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It shouldn't hurt to ask though. Maybe they'd consider the AT&T Microcell for the office. Are there many other AT&T users in your office?

10. twowinns macrumors member

Yes. I'll ask. Do you know how much they cost?

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It depends on the model, it's build quality and available frequency bands. They have a broad range in price too. I've seen them from as little as $150 up to over $1,000.

Choose wisely.