Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I know they keep releasing updates; iOS 7.1, 7.2 etc. Can I hold off on downloading iOS 7 so I can keep my jailbreak until they release the jailbreak for iOS 7 or will the version that's out then not be jailbreakable?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Edit: what jailbreak are they working on now?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I believe seeing tweets from the dev team that 7.0.4 is safe for JB.

My 4S is so much faster when updated it to iOS 7

Are they gonna keep updating past iOS 7.04?

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Are they gonna keep updating past iOS 7.04?

Who are they?

Apple will obviously keep updating iOS version.

Dev team won't know if the JB tool they are working will work with future iOS version because it's not even release yet.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Who are they?

Apple will obviously keep updating iOS version.

Dev team won't know if the JB tool they are working will work with future iOS version because it's not even release yet.
Gotcha. Let me ask you this - will it be a lot easier to "update" or rework the 7.x jailbreak once it is released for the latest version of 7.x when it comes out than it is to build it from scratch like they are now?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Gotcha. Let me ask you this - will it be a lot easier to "update" or rework the 7.x jailbreak once it is released for the latest version of 7.x when it comes out than it is to build it from scratch like they are now?

Jailbreaks are done using "exploits" found by trial and error probing of firmware releases.
Exploits that were known in iOS6 (not used but saved - thus never revealed to Apple) may still be present in iOS7 or they may have been fixed or closed unintentionally by Apple.

New exploits will be found in iOS7 in the same manner.

Once the hackers have sufficient exploits (if they can find enough of them), they can engineer a jailbreak of the new firmware suitable for public release.

There is no such thing as "reworking or updating" an old jailbreak to fit new family of firmware.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Jailbreaks are done using "exploits" found by trial and error probing of firmware releases.
Exploits that were known in iOS6 (not used but saved - thus never revealed to Apple) may still be present in iOS7 or they may have been fixed or closed unintentionally by Apple.

Once the hackers have sufficient exploits (if they can find enough of them), they can engineer a jailbreak of the new firmware suitable for public release.

There is no such thing as "reworking or updating" an old jailbreak to fit new family of firmware.
I guess what I'm asking is - once the iOS 7 jb is dropped, what if the most current version of iOS 7 is different than the jailbreak? Will I be screwed?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I guess what I'm asking is - once the iOS 7 jb is dropped, what if the most current version of iOS 7 is different than the jailbreak? Will I be screwed?

Yes, if that should be the case. but musclenerd has said 7.0.4 is fine to update to

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, if that should be the case. but musclenerd has said 7.0.4 is fine to update to

Gotcha. So I basically can't wait for the jailbreak to update to iOS 7.x? I want to stay consistently jailbroken, I can't give up these shortcuts.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca

you at 7.0.4?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Gotcha. So I basically can't wait for the jailbreak to update to iOS 7.x? I want to stay consistently jailbroken, I can't give up these shortcuts.

What do you mean by this? I am confused with the way how you worded it

What version are you currently on?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
What do you mean by this? I am confused with the way how you worded it

What version are you currently on?

I'm saying to be able to jailbreak when it gets released, do I have to upgrade now and lose my jailbreak or can I wait?

I have 5.01

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'm saying to be able to jailbreak when it gets released, do I have to upgrade now and lose my jailbreak or can I wait?

I have 5.01

Generally speaking, you should be okay to update later. But don't hold me on that

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Generally speaking, you should be okay to update later. But don't hold me on that

Ok cool thx. Why is that, do they usually release a second jailbreak for the most current version of iOS shortly after the first?

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
Usually a jailbreak is released for the newest available firmware. Once the jailbreak is released, you should have at least a few days before Apple releases the next firmware and thus breaking the jailbreak. As someone said, I don't think there's been a jailbreak released that didn't support the latest firmware.
You've said you want to stay consistently jailbroken, so you should be able to stay where you are now, and when the jailbreak is released, update then and then jailbreak.
This is how it's been in the past, and I guess it's possible to change for this one but unlikely. Nobody can really give a set in stone answer to this right now.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Usually a jailbreak is released for the newest available firmware. Once the jailbreak is released, you should have at least a few days before Apple releases the next firmware and thus breaking the jailbreak. As someone said, I don't think there's been a jailbreak released that didn't support the latest firmware.
You've said you want to stay consistently jailbroken, so you should be able to stay where you are now, and when the jailbreak is released, update then and then jailbreak.
This is how it's been in the past, and I guess it's possible to change for this one but unlikely. Nobody can really give a set in stone answer to this right now.

Ok cool thx. It really pisses me off that Apple so aggressively tries to fight jailbreaking. If they would design better software that gave us those shortcuts/features in the first place we wouldn't have to!

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Ok cool thx. It really pisses me off that Apple so aggressively tries to fight jailbreaking. If they would design better software that gave us those shortcuts/features in the first place we wouldn't have to!

Well, if they didn't, there'd be a much bigger problem with malware on iOS. Just look how riddled with malware Android is for the problems with such an open operating system.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Well, if they didn't, there'd be a much bigger problem with malware on iOS. Just look how riddled with malware Android is for the problems with such an open operating system.

Oh really? I didn't realize that. In that case I understand.

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
No mention of Tiny Umbrella yet.

No expert in the JB scene, but isn't it good form to keep up with the blob saves for your iDevices?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

Is that really what they're worried about though or do they just want to be in control? That's how it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.