If I believe that the US should be all english. Does this mean I am a racist?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hugh, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Am I a racist if I think the US should be one language and it should be english?

If you want to come the US you need to learn english. (noting that I'm a bad speller and my grammar is just as bad. :eek: )

I'm asking because, I was talking with some my friends and of course it turn to politics. Some of them were saying that, if you want to live here, you must learn (the best they can do) speak english. I used to totally agree with them, now I'm wondering if I am a racist?

Hugh

2. kds1 Suspended

kds1

No, I don't think so at all. If I moved to France, I'd be expected to learn French. In fact, I know I would in order to become a citizen. It's required. Although English isn't our official language de jure, it is our de facto standard. If you want to emigrate here, LEARN ENGLISH.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Doesn't make you a racist.

Just unrealistic.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No. Live in America and learn English. If you don't, don't expect special accommodation.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not racist at all. but unrealistic for sure.

here we have freedom of speech, and its not at all designated to any language.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

People should have the freedom to make things harder on themselves by not learning English.

As long as businesses are legally ONLY required to communicate in English. But money talks, so most businesses cater to consumers.

Now city, state, and govt catering to other languages, that's debatable.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A surprising number of people cannot make themselves understood in any language.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Well I am English lived in America for quite a few years and had to learn to speak and Spell American.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Even a squishy liberal like myself could see where the government, and anything the government is involved with use English language only. That might encourage private businesses to engage in translation services for various languages, and save the tax payers a few bucks.

But it's really not a big deal for me, and I suspect this is often just a wedge issue that feeds on people's fear and loathing of foreigners. So somebody doesn't speak English ... big whoop.

10. kds1 Suspended

kds1

It's not a requirement for citizenship in this country. It IS a requirment to learn the local language in other countries. If we made it a requirement, it wouldn't be unrealistic, they'd have to. But then some people will argue it's "Un-American". Whatever, but, it would go a long way to helping and encouraging people to ASSIMILATE.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You certainly wouldn't want to punish people for not speaking English.

That would be barbaric.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It seems unrealistic.

To begin with, how would one possibly enforce such a concept? I think our Constitution's First Amendment would pretty much protect people's right to speak in Spanish; Farsi; Mandarin; or Dothraki if they chose. And if someone wanted to open a restaurant where all the menus were printed in Thai or Portuguese - then its up to the laws of supply and demand as to whether or not he stays in business.

You could pass laws that said that Government documents had to be only in English. But doing so might end up proving counterproductive. If you want those pesky French and German tourists to stand behind the line at the immigration counter....

For a variety of reasons - political, social, historical, and economic (as well as practical linguistic ones) English is the de facto lingua franca of the modern world (see how I did that....) So the reality is that there is a massive worldwide incentive for pretty much everyone to learn and do business in English. And based on that record of uninterrupted victory in the Language Wars, I think we Anglophones ought to be secure enough to tolerate (celebrate even) a few of our neighbors nattering away in the foreign tongues.

13. kds1 Suspended

kds1

No, but we could deny them citizenship.

14. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

And we would never do that as a nation, it would discourage desirable* immigration.

*the current system is set up to entourage immigration only from those that are of a certain social and economic background.

15. kds1 Suspended

kds1

If you're talking about those "Citizenship for Sale" visas that the Chinese are eating up, I really don't find that desirable immigration at all.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

assimilate what? we are not the borg :p

17. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Do I really have to answer this?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

of course not, that is the beauty of being free.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I didn't realize English was a race. I thought it was a language that anyone interested can learn. My bizzle.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test
    To become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must pass the naturalization test. At your naturalization interview, you will be required to answer questions about your application and background. You will also take an English and civics test unless you qualify for an exemption or waiver.
    http://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test/study-materials-english-test
    The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. For the reading portion, you must read one out of three sentences correctly. For the writing test, you must write one out of three sentences correctly. Several study tools are available to help you prepare. To get started, see the materials below. Visit the U.S. Government Bookstore to purchase USCIS products and publications.
    Not a difficult test (33% correct), but still an English test.

21. kds1 Suspended

kds1

The problem is, there is a big difference between the immigrants of the early 20th century and now. Back then, when immigrants came to America, the really WANTED to be Americans. The wanted to learn English, even forbidding their children from speaking the language where the came from, and wanted them to ONLY speak in English. They wanted them to be American. They all wanted to be Americans.

Today, a lot of immigrants want to come to this country for the security, stability and better living standards it can provide, but want to continue to live as if they were back were they came from. They don't assimilate into American culture, and don't want to. Sound Familiar?

----------

That's hardly a requirement.

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Thanks for the evidence. I really didn't want to search it.;)

23. kds1 Suspended

kds1

It's so weak, it's hardly a test of proficiency in English. I mean, that's really a joke, actually.

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Have you ever tried to learn another language? Trust me, it's hard! And English is arguably one of the hardest, due to its incredibly inconsistent spelling (which you have to admit perplexes even us native speakers at times) and many grammatical exceptions.

Now I'm not saying immigrants shouldn't learn English. They definitely should. However it's still a good idea to supply translators and translations of important documents, so as to avoid any possible confusion.