If I bought a 4S on launch day....can I get an iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethereal45, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ethereal45 macrumors regular

I would imagine I'm in the same boat as a lot of people who bought a 4S on launchday and skipped the 5. Since my contract is not quite at 2 years yet (the 4S launched mid october) will I be able to upgrade?

I know Apple used to do early deals with ATT back when they were the exclusive carrier, but I haven't heard as much talk about that lately.

Anyone hear any news on early upgrades?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes you can. AT&T can do an early upgrade since upgrades are usually available 18-20 months after initial contract.

I'm doing the same.

3. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

You might have to check with AT&T.. my upgrade was 18 months instead of a full 2 years.

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I think they'll bump your upgrade date up IF you buy it through AT&T and not Apple. That's just what I've heard. They won't do it if you go through Apple.

AT&T changed the upgrade eligibility to 24 months after the contract starts... aka when it's up. I'm not sure if that applies to all accounts or only new ones.

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

AT&T contracts are only 18 months. Technically you could've upgraded to the 5 in April.

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

good thing he waited.. or did not know. :)

But I'm wondering if they are still 18 months because of the new AT&T Next?

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I got the 4S on launch and they gave me the early upgrade eligibility in time for this launch. I did today's upgrade order online thru Apple Store. I think this time ATT won't waive the activation fee (which they have done in the past) but that's ok, i don't care, it was silk smooth doing the upgrade online, unlike all the other times when somehow I ended up having to do the whole upgrade with the ATT rep on the phone.

This was a great process for me today, took like 5 minutes and it was nice having a chat open with an Apple rep while checking one or two things with an ATT rep on phone before I committed the Apple Store transaction. I just wanted to make sure my grandfathered data plan would stick to my upgraded phone line. The handshaking between ATT and Apple on plan details was much better this time. I've had problems before with them not recognizing my eligibility because I was upgrading a line that did not "own" my plan, or refusing to do the upgrade because I live in a zipcode that is not served by ATT. Today, no problems like that. All I have to do when I get the phone is call ATT before trying to activate the thing, then they will make sure the unlim plan will attach to the new phone. So I'm a happy camper, hope your upgrade goes well too. :)