If I bought a new 16GB iPhone today, what would I have to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steven Jackson, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

As the thread title says, if I bought a new 16GB iPhone today, what would I have to do?

I currently have an iPhone and an O2 18 month contract. How would I replace my current phone with the 16GB version without starting a new contract and getting a new number?

If I sold my 8GB phone on eBay, what could the buyer do with it?

Steve.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

1. Buy a 16gb iphone;
    2. Replace the sim with your existing 8gb sim;
    3. Continue to use your new iPhone for the remainder of the 18mth contract;
    4. Sell or give away your old iPhone;
    5. New owner of your old iPhone buys a £4.99 sim from O2 and activates or jailbreaks etc.

Check on the O2 website. The info is there. Also another thread here on Macrumors.

V V V V
    BigAndy is correct - that would be the quicker route.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

you could also give the new owner the new sim with the old phone, so they have the option of the contract ;)

4. mrJnC macrumors regular

Even if you kept the original SIM, wouldn't the IMEI # still be associated with you since you bought the iPhone and registered it?

Could this scenario occur:
    You sell your iPhone sans SIM card.
    New owner of iPhone uses it for illegal activity that is traced. :mad:
    Since third party SIM is generic, the authorities go after who the IMEI # is registered with. :eek:
    You have to spend time and effort to clear your name... permitted the powers that be allow you to do so. :(

5. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I believe you want to register the new 16gig with the new Sim and then Cingular will back date it. I believe you want your Sim to match your iPhone but I could be mistaken.

6. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

I believe this is the case too.

7. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I just got a 16GB iPhone. I put the SIM from the 8GB phone in it, and activated it. I chose "I am an existing AT&T customer" and "Replace an existing phone." It then asked me for my mobile number, my zip code, social security number, and it said it was adding the $20.00 data plan to my account, which was odd, but whatever. It did no harm.

The phone activated.

I plugged the 8GB phone with the brand new SIM from the 16GB, into another Mac. iTunes said it's the wrong SIM for this phone. I restored the phone by holding down Menu and Sleep/Wake for several seconds until the apple appeared on the screen. Then the phone was like new. It didn't remember anything and it had a brand new SIM in it.

At first, in my online info of my account, it showed that my contract was now going to end two years from the day that I activated the 16GB phone, but a day later, it had backdated it, and it now says Contract End: September 2009.

So basically: Swap SIMs. Activate 16GB phone. Restore 8GB phone. :)

8. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks for all the info, people.

However, I've managed to overcome my greed and impatience and won't be buying the 16GB iPhone after all...

Cheers,

Steve.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Perhaps a bit late but here is some more info from O2:
    I contacted O2 and asked about the upgrade and the IMEI:

10. Craigy Boy macrumors member

Just a quick one guys.

I know iTunes backs up the iPhone everytime they sync, but I was just wondering what is exactly backed up? Is it just the address book and media files or is it literally everything?

i.e if I were to get a 16gb iPhone, would all my text messages, email settings, webclips be transported to my new phone or would I need to start over again?

Cheers

Craig