If I bought a new MBP at a retail store 4 days ago...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kev1000000, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Kev1000000 macrumors member

Can I call Apple's 1-800 number for a possible exchange / price match? Or do I have to go to the store I bought it at?

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just take it back and exchange it for the new MBP.

TEG

3. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

That 15% restocking fee (200 dollars) is really preventing me from wanting to do that... :(

4. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

5. motorde macrumors newbie

I bought one last tuesday. I was able to get the restocking fee taken off. But I used an educator discount and I complained that the restocking fee is basically my educator discount. I spoke to a manager at an Apple Store.

I'm getting a call today when the MBPs come in to an even exchange.

6. bestthereis27 macrumors member

Should have a waited a few extra days...that sucks

7. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

I had to for school. Is there no chance for me to get that restocking fee waived?

8. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

I also used an education discount. Can you explain exactly what you said to the manager?

Thanks for the info!

9. motorde macrumors newbie

I said that if the update was not so large I wouldn't be complaining. I needed a computer last week, if they updated on tuesday or not. I said that basically every component in the MBP was updated and it was too large to ignore. The manager was nice and took my information and said they would waive the restocking fee and let me do an even exchange.

It would depend on your manager and their final decision I guess.

10. RatSalad macrumors member

I am in the same boat. I bought mine on Saturday . So I will see what happens tonight when I get there.

11. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good. Please let me know how it works out tonight.

12. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i agree with motorde about the decision being based on the manager in charge and unfortunately what kind of day they are having-- ask to speak to them and politely explain the issue...chances are they will respond better to that (plus...you don't know if they have been getting yelled at all day by customers who are in the same boat as you!)

13. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

Do you guys think I would have a better chance of getting the restocking fee waived if I went earlier or later this week?

I have an option to go tomorrow, but it is out of my way. I would rather go this friday, but if you think the managers would be sick of waiving restocking fees, I'll make the extra trip tomorrow.

Thoughts?

14. paenguin macrumors member

paenguin

i was told that since i used the educator discount already, i could not use it to waive the restocking fee? :(

any advice?

15. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

Damn, not a good sign.

I am thinking about bringing up the fact that a lot of people on here have gotten the restocking fee waived if they purchased the MBP online. Do you think that grants me any leverage?

16. motorde macrumors newbie

Hmm, that's strange.

I went tonight to the Northbrook, IL Apple Store. The manager (not the same one earlier in the day) on duty helped me out and everything was very smooth. No restocking fee and exchanging the computer was easier than when I first bought it on tuesday.

My point about the educator discount when I explained the situation to the manager is that the restocking fee is basically my discount, so I'm pretty much paying the normal price. and since you can only buy one computer a year with your discount, it goes to waste. Ask to speak to a manager or maybe call Apple Care.

17. RatSalad macrumors member

Well I went to the store and they have them in but not unpacked and it will be done tonight. So off I go in the morning. They way I am handling the restock fee if I have to pay is that if I look at the upgrades are they worth it? For me I think so. But I guess time will tell.

18. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Ok, I bought one a month ago and they said they only do exchanges on 14 days, but with a 10% restocking fee. I just sprung for the new one :)

19. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

Why don't you just keep it? why does everyone have to get the latest and greatest. truthfully, its really not that great of an upgrade. is it really worth the hassle and the money just for a little spec bump and multi-touch trackpad? Seriously, you have a good computer, just keep it. I bought mine about a month ago, and i really don't care about the update, and just laugh at all the people who waited so long for the update.

20. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

Because that extra 80 gigs of HD space is exactly what I need. And since the computer is only 4 days old, I feel pretty ripped off that everyone else gets a better computer for the same price... 4 days ago.

I honestly believe if Apple likes to run their business all hushy about updates, then they need to own up to the consequences of not giving their customers info of updated products to make informed decisions.

21. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

First of all, if you need more hd space, go buy an external. Secondly, its not apple's responsibility to tell you when the updates are. if you had been reading the forums, you might have waited till today. but truly apple doesnt owe you anything. The truth is that the MBP before the update is still a good a computer. But i can see how you feel ripped off. but are the minor spec bumps really going to make that big of a difference in the projects you do on it?

22. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Apple is know for giving people huge money back to keep their current model...

just call them up .. dont go in the store...

my friend did this with his last gen white iMac he bought right before the alum's came out..

they gave him over $450 to keep his white one

23. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

Most other companies give you release dates for products so consumers can make informed decisions about buying it. A $2k laptop is a big decision, and Apple apparently does not respect that. They would rather thrive on hype than giving consumers very valuable info.

Of course the internet was rumoring about an update... but it had been through rumors for about a month. No one knew what was being updated or when, which really leaves consumers in the dark about buying a big purchase such as a MBP.

I don't hate Apple for it, I just think they need to be a lot more lenient with restocking fees around refreshes.

24. Kev1000000 thread starter macrumors member

I bought it at a retail store though. Who do I call, the store or Apple's 1800 support number?

25. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a