If I bought a RMBP today, what are the odds of ghosting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Title says it all. I really need a computer upgrade but not bad enough to risk having a bogus screen.

???????????????????

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It's impossible to say. Just return it if you get ghosting, but it appears it doesn't appear right away. MacRumors experiences cannot speak for the majority who have purchased the rMBP and will never post on MR.

3. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

I'd say about the same as buying a retina iPad that's too hot to hold.

4. Radiating macrumors 65816

0% 0% 0% 0%

These ridiculous posts need to stop. Apple has long fixed the issue. I've purchased 6 Retina MacBooks 2/3rds with the LG screen, and none of them had issues since Apple revised the LG display (all were tested).

Even BEFORE Apple fixed the issue I had one of the launch day Retina Macbooks, and it had noticable ghosting during tests but I NEVER once noticed the issue until I read about it on the internet and then tested my computer.

The ghosting issue is blown far far out of proportion, and on top of that the display was revised to reduce the issue by a factor of 1200, so it's an over reaction to something that doesn't exist in any meaningful form any more and hasn't for a long time. The rMBP was very heavily tested before it was released and none of the testers who's job it is to notice these flaws ever found anything wrong with it, even with the original display which had much more severe ghosting.

I actually obsessed about the issue to the point where I returned 3 computers to get a Samsung display. The Samsung display was actually slightly noticably worse than the LG display I returned it for due to slightly less even edge lighting.

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

You're setting yourself up for disappointment from the get go. Just buy the MacBook and enjoy it like anything else. Ghosting is covered by warranty.

If it makes you feel any better Apple's been using a new version of LG's panel (SJA2) that has been OK so far, at least from evidence here on this forum.

6. iPersian macrumors regular

what are you talking about??? how do you know for a fact that it was revised and were do you get the 1200 from??

the problem is not blow out of proportions. ive had three macs all with ghosting issues. hows that for a statistics? whats the chance to get three faulty ones? weeks difference between them and different configurations?

however so far at the SAJ2s or whatever the "revision" is called has not shown ghosting so far. could be that its fixed or simply that ghosting takes longer time to appear.

Had apple put an official statement that it had been fixed or admitted that they know about it then it would be a different case.

now we CAN NOT claim that its been fixed. ghosting might appear in a years time on SJA2s.

we dont know anything about that.

the only thing we know that so far most SJA2s are running without ghosting so the chances are perhaps bigger to have a better screen now than it was in 2012.

7. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

Ghosting occurs on mine within 1-2 minutes and occurs in video lectures I watch. It is very aggravating. That being said, the screen with ghosting is far superior to the cMBP screen.

8. Radiating, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

Radiating macrumors 65816

Because the screens that are revised have a different model number and literally say they are the second revision in the model number of the screen and it is a confirmed fact.

Because I had a pre-revision LG screen, and 3 post-revision LG screens, and I tested them all extensivly for image retention. It took 1200 times more time for a black and white test pattern to cause a given amount of image retention time on the revised screen. Meaning instead of burning in for 2 minutes after 5 minutes, it would burn in for say 15 seconds after 8 hours (not precise figure).

So the original screens would burn in for around 2 minute after 5 minutes of exposure. Is that what you were experiencing with your 3 Macs? With revision 2 screens? (keep in mind some older screens were left over and sold long after the initial release)

You obviously do not know anything about how image retention works or how the physics of LCD displays work.

Image retention does NOT increase over time and the whole concept of image retention increasing over time flies in the face of basic physics.

Image retention is caused by ionic impurities in the actual matter that makes up the LCD. It happens because the material used in the screen is of low quality or purity (think 99.9% gold vs 97%, where the 97% material if used in manufacturing an LCD causes image retention). Over time the particles do not become more or less ionized. That is utterly absurd to consider unless you plan to take your laptop into the vacume of space with no radiation shield or inside nuclear reactors or nuclear explosions. If you're doing these things with your laptop you are probably going to die before you see any increase in IR.

Again image retention is caused by poor manufacturing quality. Apple has obviously tightened the tolerances of the materials they allow LG to select for the screen. The material is of a uniform quality and does not change in a given batch. It may change from batch to batch but it is very unlikley that Apple would allow quality standards to drop in this area.

If that's what's happening then you have one of the deffective screens and can have it replaced at an Apple store. Turn around time would be 24 hours. I've had it done to mine.

9. Bokes macrumors 6502

Apple will replace the screen if need be- so this really isn't a concern...is it?
    FWIW- my 13 in rMBP is perfect.
    Good luck

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

If you buy it today, maybe. Tomorrow, probably not.

Really, if I had €1 for every time someone creates a new thread with this question :rolleyes:

11. iPersian macrumors regular

all my macs were 2012 models. one from july the latest on the lottery game from november.

on all of them there were no IR until two weeks later.

plenty of people are reporting of increasing IR.

are your scientific tests based on 3 screens that you own? isnt that weird? not exactly scientific.

and am i understanding you correctly that you indeed were able to produce ghosting after some hours on the revised models?

having ghosting at all can mean that these new screens can get worse.

and again how can you claim that:
    "tightened the tolerances of the materials they allow LG to select for the screen"??

we dont know about internal procedures.

----------

what im saying in addition is that there is a great probability that the revised ones are better but how much is hard to tell until real testing by using them in a long time is done.

12. Radiating macrumors 65816

Well that sucks, 2/3rds of my 2012 rMBP 15's were fine. 1 wasn't.

That's how image retention works. It doesn't develop until you start using the screen for a little while. Image retention is a problem with the liquid crystal material having difficulty returning to it's relaxed state. When the computer hasn't been activly used it is much easier for the screen to bounce back to a relaxed state, but as you keep using and using it, that's when image retention pops up. However the maximum rate of image retention is set by the chemical makeup of the material. Meaning image retention won't suddenly appear if you have never had issues for weeks and use your computer regularly.

3 screen purchased at least a few months apart each that had the exact same performance. It would be quite a coincidence if these were all wild cards.

Yes you can reproduce literally seconds of extremely faint and barley noticable ghosting if you leave an image up for a day on the new LG screens. You can also do the same thing with Samsung screens.

Image retention won't suddenly appear if you have never had issues for weeks and use your computer regularly. That's not how it works, image retention is a physical property of the material used to make the product and it has consistent behavior.

I'm making an educated guess that LG didn't suddenly start using higher quality materials to build their displays. They were probably asked to use higher quality materials by Apple and there are tighter tolerances in place to maintain quality. These sorts of things aren't coincidence.

13. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I've bought about a dozen of these for the office staff. Not a issues with any of them so far. All bought since about November.

14. iPersian macrumors regular

ok hope your not ********ting here and your knowledge are hard facts ;-)

in that case im thankful for the comment and its does shed some light on the issue, even though ive also read number of comments about people seeing IR from day one.

in addition people have also reported on IR showing up after many many months. one user bought his/her MBPr in june/july and only recently did the IR show up.

15. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I definitely plan to, I'm just away at school right now (with no Apple store nearby). I'll probably take it in when I'm finished in about 2 weeks.

My main point, however, is that even if 100% had the ghosting, the screen is still far better than the screen in the classic MBP's (for the rMBP vs cMBP argument).

16. NowhereOutThere macrumors member

Just check the model of the display using the terminal command when you buy (before you leave the store). SJA-1 models are prone to IR (as mine was), but apparently the SJA-2 models do not have the image retention issue (I returned my SJA-1, and my second had the SJA-2 display with no IR thus far).

17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

As long as it is a 15" rMBP, on the 13 inch there is no way to tell if the screen is LG or Samsung.