If i bought my iPhone unlocked, is it ALWAYS unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AppleInLVX, Sep 13, 2012.

1. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2010
    Simple question, but I can't find an answer. So here's the situation:

I bought my 64GIG iPhone 4S from the Apple online store when it came out. It came unlocked. I went to Telus (my provider in Canada) and they sold me a SIM and away I went.

So, if I wanted to sell the phone now to upgrade, can I take the SIM out and still legitimately sell it as a factory unlocked phone, or has the fact that I've been using it for a year on the Telus network somehow changed that from when I bought it?

Thanks for any help...
  2. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    It should always be unlocked. However if Apple wanted to, they could remove your iPhone's unique number from the unlocked database and that would lock your phone to a carrier of their choice. Apple has never done this, but they agave the power to do so.
  3. AppleInLVX thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2010
    Thank you.

Well, I've never heard of Apple maintaining such a database, and what a weird power to have. In any case, if Apple has never done this, then I feel pretty secure that they won't for my little phone. It's a damned nice phone for anyone who would buy it. 10/10 condition, never jailbroken. Just loving used. :) If I can say it's unlocked, then I don't have to sell it to another Telus person, which I figure will up my odds of selling. If I can get 600 bones, I'll upgrade.