if I buy 3GS at an apple store, do I have to return it to an apple store??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jena55, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jena55 macrumors member

I am going to Chicago area this weekend (i live in central IL) and was thinking about picking up a 3gs at one of the stores up there since they supposedly have them in stock. However, if I decide I dont like ATT service or I need to return for some reason, can I return it by mail or do I have to go back to an Apple store?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Somebody correct me if I'm not right, but I believe you can cancel your contract with AT&T and keep your iPhone as an iPod touch. :)

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

What planet's this deal on?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only after 30 days. Otherwise you will need to return the phone when you cancel the contract

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Suggest OP

does some research and reads AT&T policies since you are the one signing the contract you should understand the policies, And not trust people you don't know giving you advice since they might be right or wrong not pointing finger at post #2 Yes I know it's boring! ;)

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well if this thread's going to go off on a tangent, I'll ask the reverse question. If you buy your iPhone at an AT&T store, can you go to an Apple store to see a Genius? I thought you could, but I'm asking anyway. I've never had any issues with my 3G, which is why I don't know for sure.

8. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

I am really wondering if you can mail it back to apple. I live a few hours from an apple store. Thanks.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

IF you are going to buy ANYTHING you think you might want to return, buy it where you can return it easily (AT&T Store, Best Buy, Apple Store...). But do your OWN research about each outlet's return polity and AT&T'cs cancellation policy.

Do your research FIRST. Then buy. Prevents regret LATER.

10. nozebleed macrumors 6502

if you buy your iphone at the apple store or the att store, it doesnt matter, you have to take it back to the apple store. or call 1800aplcare and do it yourself if you have a applecare issue. if you dont like the service.....well....not so easy