If I buy a iPhone 3g and then sell it am I still locked in at 69.99 a month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pointbreakd, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

See title. If I sell the iPhone 3g can I downgrade to just a voice plan? Or am I locked into the rate for 2 years?

2. timmypv15 macrumors regular

Just pay the first month, and then the early termination fee and you should be good.

3. zed2 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

your locked in. That's why the phone I'd cheap. They are recooperating the costs in the airtime contract.

---Zed

4. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Why would you want to do that..... i mean why buy it in the first place!

5. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

bc my girlfriend is not eligable and I am and I don't need an iphone.

6. WellRedd macrumors member

You'd be locked into the contract, buying out of the contract I'd say would be expensive, and if you don't pay, wave goodbye to future credit.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I'd call AT&T to confirm but I think you can drop the rate plan. Just call and explain that you aren't sure if you're going to use all the data, can you have the unlimited plan for one month and lower/drop it if you don't use it. They don't usually stop you from changing your plan AS LONG AS you remain with them for voice, etc.

8. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

See that's what I thought. That is how it works with blackberrys etc. IE when my blackberry broke they just cut my data plan and held me to the voice plan for 2 years...

9. wentwj macrumors regular

I'm sure you can drop the data plan, you are just locked into ATT for the two years.

Worst case, just call them a month later and say 'Oh noes! I lost my iPhone, but I don't want to buy another!' and then just get the phone plan. I'm sure ATT won't MAKE you buy a new iPhone to keep to the data plan if they think the phone has been lost, or otherwise destroyed.