If I buy a iPhone today w/ 1.1.1, can I activate and use as iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shoelessone, Oct 12, 2007.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

I've made these threads before, with 1.02, but now I'm wondering if the activation process has been taken care of?

I'm seeing fewer and fewer people asking about using the iPhone as an iPod, but I still have an interest because of the camera, microphone, and external speaker.

So, can any body tell me what happens if I buy a iPhone today with 1.1.1, can I activate the 1.1.1 phone? (NOTE: I realize I can downgrade the phone to 1.02, but I'd like the features of 1.1.1 - also I don't care about installing 3rd party apps, just activation)

2. cazlar macrumors 6502

Yes, I think it is possible with 1.1.1, but not easy just yet.

As you will not have an AT&T activation, you will need to fake-activate it. And although I haven't done it personally, I think the current way to get that is to downgrade to 1.0.2, activate there, back up the activation, upgrade again, and switch some files around during the jailbreak.

So it's messy. Personally, I'd wait a day or two before attempting the activation (unless you want to jump in to work it all out!), as I'm sure tools like iNdependance will update to simplify the procedure. Also, hopefully by then a patched lockdownd file will be made, so that SIM card can be swapped on-the-fly without needing activation.

3. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Good answer :)

So, I wouldn't mind hacking, but I haven't actually purchased the phone yet, just waiting. I guess we'll see what happens with iNdependance!

4. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Another method would be to activate the phone with the 999 ss trick and cancel... The only problem is you have to fork over 50 bucks for that first month and than after that, you're set. It's pretty cool though, because you get to test out the phones functionality without being committed for 2 years.. Works for me.