If I buy a late 2013 8GB rMBP 15" today, will it be usable in 5 years?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by refllect, Jul 29, 2015.

1. refllect macrumors newbie

Or should I go for 16 GB or ram on a newer model?

In 5 Years, I want it to still be able to do the following:

Run a modern MMORPG in Parallels, on OSX run Skype, Microsoft office, 10 internet tabs and Bittorrent.

Will 8GB of ram be enough for all that in 5 years?

2. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

Do you also wonder how many of those items will even exist in five years? I wouldn't bet OS X will still exist, at least not in its current form. Five years ago OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was the hot new OS. Does it run today what you're asking for?

I don't have the answer, just more questions you should consider. But a five year look-back is a valuable tool when trying to predict five years into the future.

3. refllect thread starter macrumors newbie

They will all exist in some form or another. Basically the current (2020) version of Mac OS, Microsoft Office, a current MMORPG and voice chat program. The 2010 MBP still can run el Capitan so I'm sure the late 2013 rMBP will be able to run whatever OS is there for 2020

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

If you're "looking ahead" five years, I'd get the newest model I could buy -today- ....

5. snipper macrumors regular

snipper

I bought a Mac Pro in 2008, 8 GB. It's snappier then ever, mostly thanks to an SSD I put in this year. Upgraded the video card using a € 75 second hand PC card in order to use a 40' 4K monitor.

Also have a 15' rMBP late 2013, 16 GB. Being a 20+ years Mac user, I think this is an interesting thought experiment.

Running Skype, MS Office, 10 internet tabs and bittorrent will not be a problem on El Captain and it's very likely this will also be no problem on the OS that comes after that. The use of Office may shift to cloud more, but undoubtedly many users will still demand a version that at least also works offline.

Also, you don't mention that you want to run the latest OS so basically you could stick with 10.11.

I don't play MMORPGs, let alone in Parallels, so this I can't judge. I think virtualization is not very suitable *TODAY* for many games, then again, MMORPGs may be quite light and Parallels Desktop runs more smooth than ever on the 2013 rMBP. If you want this, my opinion is that 8 GB might not be enough in 5 years. On the other hand: If it works speedy enough for you now and you stick with El Capitan, you could keep using that.

Personally, I'd always go for 16 GB, because like you, I intend to use my machines for as long as possible and more RAM is one of the keys to make that happen.

Realistically: Laptops are more vulnerable, less sturdy build then desktops. I'd be more worried about whether your laptop will last 5 years of intensive usage than whether it will still run what you want it to now. In 5 years your software needs will probably be different.

6. Thor774 macrumors regular

Thor774

I have a MBP from 2011 with 16mb RAM and a 750GB SSD. It runs perfectly well everything I throw into it but games. It was a machine not designed for gaming even been new so this have never bothered me.
    I believe you will be perfectly fine. What you need to do is find the biggest storage option you can (SSD) and definitely 16GB RAM.
    I have still not been inclined to change my MBP because upgrading the SSD on a new one is almost impossible. Mine has already gone though 2 SSD upgrades since I bought it.

7. jradomski macrumors newbie

Ask people who own macpro 1.1 or 2.1 Apple abandoned them even though the hardware is more than capable.. if you want to stay legit the answer is your SOL, but if you decide to join the hacking community that usually gets OS X working on a PC (usually faster and cheaper)you can get a simple hack a cheap $40 video card

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I'm on a Late 2013 15" base model it runs everything I throw it. I can have AutoCAD, Safari, BusyCal, and several photo apps open at the same time and I don't even dent the RAM. 8GB is more than enough. For your uses, you would be find with 4GB of RAM. I think too much emphasis these days are placed on RAM.