Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Fairly simple/stupid question I guess, but I'm buying my first Mac this week, will order online (through my employer, gives up to 17% discount) and picking up in the store.

But will it have Mountain Lion installed already if I do it this week? Say, order it tomorrow and pick up Friday?

Thanks all

Obviously i can download it from the App store, but that isn't my question. Thanks again

Last edited:

Mark D

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Absolutely, any Mac you buy from now on that isn't refurbished will have Mountain Lion installed.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Absolutely, any Mac you buy from now on that isn't refurbished will have Mountain Lion installed.

From Apple at least.

My parents got a new 2011 iMac from Best Buy last year - September - and it still had Snow Leopard.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
On 8/2/12, I submitted this question to Apple via its chat line asking if I purchased a MacBook Pro Retina on that date, would it come with ML pre-installed. The response was, I believe it will but I cannot guarantee it. A hot seller like the rMBP would probably come with ML if ordered today, where as any other Mac might still come with lion. :)

slowtrain

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
New England
So I went to the Mac store the other day to get a case and asked the cashier about my employer's discount. She looked up my company and gave me the online discount price in store. She said nowadays as long as you have proof of employment they can can honor most discounts in store. Just talk to a cashier to verify.

ravenpen

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I just helped my sister and brother-in-law order a Mini and when you look at it through Apple's online store it actually lists ML as one of the features, but after looking at the other Mac models it appears to be the only one that has it explicitly stated as part of the description.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Cool, thanks for the responses. I'm ordering one for my mom as well, thus the question, as I'll have hers shipped directly to her and didn't want her to have to download a new OS right out of the box.

TonsOfFun420

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
I can't really comment as to what they are doing this year, but when I bought my iMac in September-ish 2011 it came with Snow Leopard even though Lion was out already, they downloaded and installed Lion there in the store. That computer had a problem so I took it back the next day, and asked if they had any that came with Lion on it already, they went and looked and came back with an iMac with Lion, it had a different design on the box too (different wallpaper on the picture of the iMac on the box). So it seems like they had a stock of older computers with Snow Leopard (same computer, just manufactured a bit earlier I suppose) and they were trying to get rid of them; to sum it up, just ask!

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
I ordered my iMac the Friday before last, and it was delivered last Wednesday (rather than picked up in store). It came with Mountain Lion installed.

Mark D

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Get this - I just received a refurbished iMac with Mountain Lion today! I didn't expect any refurbs would be updated yet.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
I am in the Milwaukee, WI area looking to purchase a MacBook Pro for my daughter for college. A week after ML came out they still had Lion on them and the sales person said that it would be a couple weeks but it would be eligible for the up to date program. A week later I called and they said it still would be a week or two before the computers they sold were preinstalled with ML. So, my guess is that they have to sell their inventory before you start seeing ML preinstalled, that is, they are not opening the boxes in inventory to install ML. Sure I can do the upgrade and have not had problems in the past, I just felt that she should get a clean machine with the new operating system rather than having to spend time upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.