If I buy a Mac Pro can I take my 8800GT out of my PC and use it in the Mac Pro? (NT)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by boyorion, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have to flash the bootloader to EFI64. Not all 8800 GT cards have enough room for this data.

2. boyorion thread starter macrumors newbie

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The quick answer is no you can't.

The longer answer is a shaky maybe, but for starters it involves getting a ROM dump from a Mac 8800 and flashing your PC card. The first problem is finding the Mac ROM image. Then you have to flash the card in Windows, and as the poster above mentioned, your particular 8800 has to have enough room for the EFI64 firmware. Doing so, you're always taking the risk of bricking your 8800 should something go wrong.

Beyond this, the power cable on your PC 8800 may not match the Mac Pros motherboard connectors. You may have to splice some cables.

If this sounds like a royal pain in the a** it is. People have migrated their PC 8800s over to their Mac Pro and have posted their results here. You can do a forum search for the results. IMHO, it's better to just spend the $200 for a bona fide Mac 8800.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, you can. Search here for "8800 GT EFI64 ROM" There is a list of all of the cards that will always work and a list of the ones that do depending on the PCB.

If yours falls into one of these lists, you can do it.

5. boyorion thread starter macrumors newbie

Lovely, thanks to both of you.

For me, I was wanting to just drop it in. I'll actually probably be selling both my Powermac and my gaming PC to mostly pay for a new Mac Pro so I'll probably mostly make the money back from the sale of the systems. I don't want to have to hack my video card if I can help it. Thx again.

6. siorai macrumors 6502

Actually the quick answer is yes you can, possibly.

The only royal pain part is the power cable. Personally I found it a fun ultra-mini project. The flashing took mere moments once you do your research and get the proper tools/files in order.

I went the flashing a PC card route because when the Mac 8800GT first came out it was insanely expensive in comparison to a PC version. In fact, it's still $279 from apple.ca compared to $149 for the PC card at a retailer. I realize many people are more than willing to just bend over and empty their wallets into Apple's coffers, but I am not.

7. boyorion thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually it's only $138 from Apple with my discount

And only $150 without it. Negligible and less than what I paid for the stand alone card a month ago. Besides, I've already ordered the Mac Pro and, God willing, it'll be here in a week. This is in the states of course. $279 is a big difference. If it cost me that I would probably try it out but as is I'd rather not do that. Thanks a ton though guys.