If I buy a macbook now can I return it if a new one comes out oct 14th

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BradClarke, Oct 1, 2008.

1. BradClarke macrumors member

If I buy a new macbook next week, and use it for internet and stuff, and lets say on oct 14th a new macbook really does come out, can I return my macbook, and get the new one?

I have an apple store 20mins form me, I was going to buy it form there with my education discount.

Anyways thanks for your help guys.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't return, but you can do an exchange.

3. BradClarke thread starter macrumors member

yeha thats what i meant sorry, like exchange it for the new macbook. I just dont want to be screwed and spend all this money and not have the latest thing available.

4. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

10% restock fee. Not worth it IMO, just wait.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

If this is your plan, why are you even THINKING of buying now?

6. BradClarke thread starter macrumors member

Im in College, and not having a laptop for another whole week slows my homework ability down, all the computers in school are always in use, so if i had a laptop for just week earlier i would be able to get my work done in college. Also I would be mad at myself for not buying it a week earliar if a new one doesnt come out.

So there will be no problems right if i just bring it back in the store and say i want the new version, if a new version comes out.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I suggest you wait. I mean, it's only 13 days from now till October 14. Not to mention October 14 is still just a rumored date.

I can't however make the decision for you. If you don't mind going through all the trouble of switching out your computer(ONLY IF a new one actually comes out) and paying a 10% restocking fee then go for it.

8. tingly macrumors 6502

If you're just typing papers and going on the net, it doesn't make much difference if you wait 2 weeks or buy one from 5 years ago. (That logic never worked on me, either.)

9. BradClarke thread starter macrumors member

they charge a 10% restocking fee? those bastards, that would be $100

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

but only if you open it (which you will). And you can only return it if it's a stock item, not BTO.

11. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

actually, I believe it's a 15% restocking fee. And why shouldn't they charge it? It's not apple's fault that your schools computers are occupied, etc. You buy it, open it, use it, return it; apple can no longer resell the item as new, and will have to refurbish it, discounting it significantly.

Your choices, as I see them: buy it now and be happy, wait 2 weeks and be happy, or pay $150 for the convenience of having a lappy for your schoolwork for the next few weeks.

12. BradClarke thread starter macrumors member

ok so let me get this straight there no restocking fee if you buy it and dont open it? Well apple will have to sell it as a refurb anyway because they wouldn't be selling the model anymore that im exchanging because there would be a new one out already, and if i wouldnt be exchanging it if tehre was no new one.

This is what im going todo, Since im terrible at saving money (seriously if i dont buy this laptop next week which i really need, im going to end up spending it on stupid ****) I think I will buy one, keep i but not open it until i find out on the 14th if there a press conference, and if apple releases new notebooks, I will just exchange it in the store un-opened for the new one, now there no restocking fee for something that is not open correct?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The first bit is correct. You only get charged if you open it.

The second bit is wrong in that they wouldn't have to sell it refurbished, but they would do that, anyway.

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You need to reread this whole thing. You make ZERO sense. The Apple Store is not - pay attention here - a Savings and Loan. You said you needed it a week early for school work - what are you going to do, write your work out on the box top? You're not gonna make it through college at this rate, and you won't be able to use the computer while you're super-sizing those fries.
    Buy now and keep it or wait until the 14th and see if something new comes out. You can't have it both ways.

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I have to agree. If the OP seriously cannot just give the money to somebody else to hold (or put it in a bank, or put it in an envelope or a million other alternatives) to avoid winding up "...spending it on stupid ****..." that is just sad.

Just wait and see- and if you wind up liking the old machines better that new (keeping in mind there is NO guarantee that is when they are going to appear) snatch one of them up at a discounted price right away after the new ones are introduced.

16. PhillyXJ macrumors newbie

I bought my macbook 13 days ago, got the "free" printer and the "free" ipod 16G nano... I am bringing it back tonight. I am not sure what to do with my rebate checks - are they going to refund me the total less rebate? who knows, I'll let you know tonight!

I also am returning a DVI cable that didn't work with my TV, I'll exchange spore since it needed a register key to install and my new macbook and you can't return software, only exchange, hopefully won't have to wait long, will be getting spore (kind of terrible), also my incase neoprene case will go back, and apple care... everything else is unopened - the printer and the ipod. According to my recipt, I'll eat a 139 dollar restocking fee, but it was worth the use i got out of it and the emergency computer i needed for schools first few weeks.

Hopefully I won't have to wait long to get the next macbook... but we all know I could be waiting as long as JANUARY.

17. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

And you don't see anything wrong with what you've done . . .

18. PhillyXJ macrumors newbie

nope - i have a legal contract with apple, as does EVERYONE who has bought a product with apple, to return the products within 14 days. By law, no I don't see anything wrong. Morally? Nope, just using my rights as a consumer.

They will sell my barely used mac as refurbished, using my 139 to do it, and they will STILL make a considerable margin. They will reshelve my printer and ipod (unopened) - they've lost nothing.

19. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, I'm happy for you.

20. claimed4all macrumors 6502

It will be interesting to see what happens to your rebate check. Seems like alot of hassle for something that may or may not be here in 1 1/2 weeks, but if you are ok with it, more power to you.

21. PhillyXJ macrumors newbie

Brought everything back, including my rebate checks and got my refund. The apple employee looked at me when I said I was gladly bringing my macbook back.. I told him, we all know the new ones are coming... he just said - yes we all do.

Got my refund... ready to get the new MB soon!!! :)

22. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Oh, so you returned everything?
    Basically started at scratch? Restocking fee?
    What was the point if you ended up returning the ipod, printer, mb, and checks?

23. Sista macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. It's my first post here.

I was headed off to buy my first macbook last week after months of saving (every time I had the money, it would have to be spent on something else 'more important'). Anyway, I finally have the spare cash to get one, then someone links me up to this website talking about all the rumors of a new macbook! I was pretty upset because I have already been waiting SOOO long to even get this far, then to read that something new MAY be coming out in two weeks is just torture.

The days are going by very slowly.

Anyway, some people have said why not just buy it if you need it right now. Well I can't speak on behalf of the OP but personally I'd like to wait and see if this new macbook has any specs that I need. If I don't need the new specs, I'm hoping I can buy a current macbook (still new though not 2nd hand) that has considerably dropped in price.

I was wondering though, if something new does come out Oct 14, does that mean all current macbooks will go in the refurbished section of the store? Cos I thought refurbished meant it's been fixed or had a touch up somehow? Can I ask for a 'refurbished' that's basically unopened, but just an older model?

(I'm so annoyed at how my whole post is based on speculation of a new release.)

Thanks.

24. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Why don't you just wait, save yourself the $100 or so, plus the agrevation. Just maybe in the next 8 days you'll grow up:rolleyes:

25. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Refurbs are sold only at the Apple on line store. I'd wait for the new one supposed to be sweet, thinner faster, better graphics,lower prices