If I buy a new iPhone (3G?), do I have to do a new plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Quillz, May 10, 2008.

1. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I have an iPhone already. Suppose the 3G iPhone gets released and I want to buy it. Can I buy the new iPhone, plug in my old, already activated SIM card and just go? Or will I be forced into yet another two-year contract?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And the truth is, nobody knows what will happen at this point, because the 3G iPhone isn't even out yet. Nor have any details been released.

3. Quillz thread starter macrumors 65816

Quillz

Well, suppose I bought another iPhone, same model as the one I have now. If all I had to do for that was change the SIM card, it would have worked fine, right? I'm assuming it will be the same with a 3G iPhone. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the keynote to find out for sure.

4. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Im pretty certain that if you bought a new phone, you would have the pay the regular price of the Iphone. ATT is rumored to be subsidizing the iphone, to make it 199. So you wouldnt be able to get it at that price without a new 2 year contract. But you could buy it at the regular(I assume 399) price and swap your sim card.

5. rowensiv macrumors member

im pretty sure that with any att phone, you have to sign a new contract to 'upgrade'... it'd be really nice if they'd let you upgrade between iphones, but then people with other phones (like me :D) may want the same treatment...

right now, i have a motorola L9 (unlocked and not purchased from att)... i'd really like to upgrade to an iphone, but ive only had this phone for 6 months... i cant see att letting me upgrade to a 3g iphone... theyre great, but not that great

6. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I'm pretty sure that with att phones you DO NOT have to sign a new two year contract to switch phones (unless its an iPhone because the data plan requires it) The only thing you lose by not signing a new contract is the discount on the phone. Find any old or new att phone and you can swap your sim out and it will work fine (or at least has for me with the phones I've used)

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I remember when the 16GB model iphone came out people could upgrade without renewing their contract. I would think this would probably be the case with the 3g iPhone unless the data package you need changes.

7. Quillz thread starter macrumors 65816

Quillz

If you buy an unlocked phone, AT&T doesn't care. You just transfer over your old SIM card. This is how it's always been with AT&T, as I've done this several times.

I know the iPhone requires a data plan, but I've already created one. So, if I was to buy a new 3G iPhone, I should theoretically be able to just plug in my old SIM card. This is what most of you are speculating, correct?

Although, if this isn't the case, I can imagine AT&T getting a lot of angry complaints. And no, I don't mind paying full price for a phone.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Didn't we just do this topic not long ago? :)

The unknown factor is whether or not the 3G iPhone will require a normal (higher priced) 3G data plan, or if ATT will let people continue paying only $20 whether 3G or EDGE. (I don't imagine that other model 3G phone owners would be very happy with that.)

If it'll require a new plan, then the question will be if ATT wants a whole new contract, or just a change to the new plan. I know that Verizon lets you change plans on the fly without affecting the contract length... so does ATT do that as well?

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Except AT&T has a 20.00 3G plan, the 3G non-pda phones use it. So there's a precedent for it...

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Just supposing AT&T force the iPhone to be subsidized and there being no way to buy the handset full-out upfront? Maybe they're doing this to prevent unlocking... i get the feeling and i cant hide it...

11. pazreal macrumors regular

I'd imagine you only re-up the contract if you take advantage of the subsidized price as mentioned above.

12. udkl1298 macrumors newbie

Discount from AT&T

I guess you wil get a discount , or a plan shift from AT&T ..... that is why (I think) the iphone will be priced at 199$ for repeat customers .....