If I buy a new iPhone in June, at full rate becuase I bought the 3gs, contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iansilv, May 9, 2010.

1. iansilv macrumors 65816

As in, would I be forced to Renew my contract or would the new iPhone just go on to my account with the existing year remaining?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Not necessarily correct. The "full" price is contract free. There are three levels of pricing: full, early-upgrade and upgrade eligible. The later two require a contract renewal.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Like Revelation78 mentioned, it depends.

If you pay full-price ($599/$699) for the iPhone in July (assuming they stay the same price as now), you won't need to renew your contract because AT&T didn't help you with the price.

If you do an early-upgrade in July ($399/$499), then yes, you will need to sign a new 2-year contract, because AT&T is giving you a $200 discount off the price of the phone, and you haven't even finished paying them back the $400 discount they gave you on the iPhone 3GS (assuming you bought it at $199/$299).

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

+1

5. montecarloss919 macrumors member

So I bought the 32GB 3GS when it came out, and paid $500 for it. Do you think i'll be eligible for the upgrade price? Idc about extending contract. I hope I wont have to shell out another 500 even though I sold it for $700 :)

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If you call AT&T, they will tell you when you are eligible for early and full upgrades.

7. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Not sure how it works over in the US, but if you are from the UK then yes you can just buy a new iphone on pay as you go and transfer your sim over to the new phone. thats what i did with my 3G to 3GS

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not wait until apple releases the new phone and then call your carrier, i.e., AT&T in the US?

Any answers here are pure speculation.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Did you buy the 3GS last June when the 3GS was released? If so, you can change your account so that your services total over $100 a month before taxes and extra charges are added in. That will make you eligible to upgrade after one year.

I did this only last month and my upgrade date has already changed to June 20, 2010 from an upgrade date of November 2010. I am paying an extra $35 a month till June to be able to upgrade early, well worth the price.