If I buy a used 5S now, can I get 2 years out of it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Nov 7, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I am interested in upgrading my iPhone 4S as the battery life is really bad even after I had the battery replaced, and I am wanting the cool new features like Touch ID and the improved camera. I am not yet eligble for an upgrade, but I still want to get it for my bday this December. So if I get an iPhone 5S from Swappa, can I get a good two years if use out of it?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm sure you can, it shouldn't be an issue. But on another note, why wouldn't you just go for the iPhone 6?

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Cause it is a lot more than a used 5S, a $250 difference. There are several mint condition 5Ss on Swappa for only $395.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So why not go with the used one?

EDIT: Gotcha, you are talking about a used 5S versus a new 6.

5. Woochifer, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I don't see why not. Just don't expect miracles with the battery life.

And the one potential issue with long-term durability with Touch ID is that it only works if the home button and processor have matching identifiers. Requiring the home button and motherboard to be a matched pair is a security measure that prevents someone from accessing your data by swapping the motherboard with another phone.

But, it also means that if the home button wears out, replacing it without also replacing the motherboard (as a matched pair) effectively disables the Touch ID feature. I've had to replace the home button on an iPod touch, and the home button on my wife's iPod touch has also become erratic. The home button on my 5s still seems to function like new (although I do try to reduce usage by pushing the power button instead of the home button when waking up from standby).

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I honestly don't see why you couldn't get two years out of a 5s. You may not see a drastic improvement in battery life coming from the 4s, but the faster processor will make a difference.

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

You will easily get 2 years out of it. The 5S is super fast. In fact, the A8 chip only has 25% more CPU performance than the A7, and 50% more GPU performance. Usually the A Series doubles performance but the A7 to A8 was more about low power consumption in a more efficient chip. So the iPhone 6 is not twice as fast as the iPhone 5S, it is just a little faster.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yes you will. There are people still rocking the iPhone 4!

9. Jase718 macrumors member

Jase718

Definitely!!! I would just recommend you to think twice before updating the iOS. For me, if it works leave it be. Also try to at least get a 32gb so that you won't have to worry about space as much.

10. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

You can also look for the newest used 5s to get the best battery. (like mine that I'll be selling, that was opened in August this year ;))

11. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I reckon so . It'll be showing its age by then though, like the 4S is now.

12. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

Of course you can get a good 2 yrs out of it. I just got my new 5S less than 2 weeks ago, also due to pricing. I am very happy with it.

13. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The 5s is still a great phone, If taken care of, I don't see a reason it wouldn't still be working in 2 years.

14. dragon671556 macrumors member

dragon671556

I just purchased a 5s in August and I'm very happy with it. It's only a 16GB though but I've got a Ipod Touch 5G that's 64GB for all my music, movies, and stuff.

15. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

I got a 64gig 5s off of Swappa a couple months ago. I upgraded from a 4s I had been using for a long time. My plan was to get 2 years out of it, and I see no reason why I wouldnt. I will no upgrade past iOS 8, which is key to my plan, imho.

seeing as the 6 and 6+ got the shaft with 1 gig of ram, Apple will make sure 1gig will work just fine on the phones for that long.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I think it might be stretching it a little bit since it is already a year old.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My mom's 5S runs smoother than my 6 Plus. Both are on 8.1. I am not worried that the 5S will feel any worse than the 6 Plus in two years, sadly.

18. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for the advice, guys! as far as battery, I get like seriously around 3.5 hours of use on my 4S, and the battery is new! Surely the battery will be better on the 5S, right!

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

5S is still a great phone. I would totally use one next to my 6 and not be worried about it aging too fast.

20. nox5 macrumors 6502

Battery on 5s is better than on 4s and better than on 5. If the 5s is used check how many battery cycles it has been recharged. If it is under 300 it will still last long time.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1578418

21. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I upgraded to a 5S from a 4, about 2 weeks ago. And although the 4 was still perfectly usable, the difference is astounding.

I had to upgrade because I wanted iOS 8. I can picture myself keeping this phone until Apple discontinues support as well. Can't believe I got 5 years out of a 4.

OP, you'd definitely get at least 2 years. 3, 4, if you're really patient and don't mind not having the latest and greatest.

22. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

my mom used a 4 for about 32 months.... then i gave her my old 5, which was actually replaced by apple car so it was only about 3 months old, but now, almost a year since she got it, still works....

i just gave her my old 5s, which will be a year old come December, and it works like a top. Battery was still at about 95% or so after 500+ cycles...

23. Delmar macrumors 6502

Yes, the battery in the 5s is noticeably better than the battery in the 4s. I notice a difference in the battery life on my 5s compared to my old 5.

24. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Don't upgrade iOS; and you will have a perfectly usable phone for 2to 3 years more.

25. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Ok; now what about the 5c?

So, I think I have decided to just get the iPad Air 2. But what about the 5c? I could afford to get the storage that I need with the 5c, and perhaps I could just keep that for a year or two????
    Could the 5C hold up for two years if I had to?