Apple TV If I buy an Apple TV today, can I jailbreak it immediately?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tribefan, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Tribefan, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Tribefan macrumors member

I'm wanting to get an Apple TV unit so I can ditch cable. I realize that to get Hulu (which i'd require) on an Apple TV, I'd have to jailbreak it and jump through hoops. My question is, if I go buy an Apple TV this week, is the version of the operating system I'd get jailbreak-able immediately? Or is it a version that has no jailbreak available yet and I'd have to wait for a while? (think current iPhone 4S buyers)

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The newest iOS version on ATV2 is only available as a tethered jailbreak right now (here). However, if you get it from a 3rd-party retailer like Best Buy or Amazon, you'll most likely get one with an old software version.

3. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

I just got a 2nd Apple TV & yes it came with the old software but it does all depend if Apple are still signing. I used seasonpass & atv flash a week ago & at that point they were.

4. Tribefan thread starter macrumors member

Dumb noob question: What do you mean by this?

I briefly had my iPhone 4 jailbroken and never encountered anything referring to signing. I'm assuming Apple TV jailbreaking involves a different vocabulary and probably different processes?

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Signing means which iOS versions Apple will verify in iTunes to allow you to restore. If a version is no longer signed, it will fail iTunes verification and will not be installed. It applies to ATV, iPad, and iPhone. Seasonpass works by installing a completed "hacked" firmware install, so is subject to Apple's signing policies. Programs like RedSn0w, however, work by modifying the preexisting software on the ATV2 already.

6. Tribefan thread starter macrumors member

7. teameurox macrumors regular

I bought one last night from Bestbuy, Plugged into iTunes hit restore, it applied the 4.4.2 update. Then I downloaded the firmware from apple for the 4.4.2, ran the latest Seasonpass, Jailbroke and installed atFlash RC1, XBMC, and Icefilms. I can confirm that no issues came about and now just waiting for a an untethered solution

8. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Why did you restore it ? I didn't restore mine when i bought it as it was still on 4.3 so jailbroke it as it was, so it is untethered. I will wait for an untethered jailbreak before i update to 4.4.