If I buy an iMac on the day Snow Leopard releases, will it be preloaded?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSamurai, Aug 3, 2009.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

Hi,

I'm wondering whether this would be true... I will be getting an iMac these few days and it seems like it's not going to be updated so I'd rather get it now.

If I get it now I need to pay A$15 for the upgrade. If I buy later when Snow Leopard is released, will the computers be loaded with the newest OS or will they ship the disc complementarity?

I guess if that doesn't happen, for A$15 I get to use the iMac a month earlier.

Oh and lastly, what's the chances of the rumoured price drop for the iMacs?

2. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I would imagine that it will (in the first instance) be included as a disk but then soon after pre-installed.

Oh and I bl**dy hope they drop the prices, you should try and buy something in England!

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Regarding Snow Leopard, it will either come installed or Apple will include a drop in install DVD.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you can always ask at the store. or call online the day it releases

5. khirok macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP the day after Leopard was released and they just included a "drop in" DVD of Leopard that I had to load myself. So I imagine they will do the same for Snow Leopard.

6. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

I bought my old Powerbook shortly after Tiger came out and it came with the upgrade disk and I installed it myself. They'll probably do something similar when it first comes out.

7. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I'll ring apple tomorrow... hopefully these ppl will know something (I've had too many times where the sales reps are just uni kids - like me :D).

edit: oh alright... maybe I should wait? possible chance of a price drop too... and does anyone know it will be released in the beginning of September or the end of september?

8. rich2k4 macrumors regular

on the apple website it says all macs will have it preinstalled

and judging by past releases i'dsay ed of september.

more precisely, i predict september 25th

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When a new OS comes out, it usually takes a few weeks to clear the channel of machines with the old OS installed. Apple will drop a DVD in the box with SL until machines ship with the new OS preinstalled.

10. rich2k4 macrumors regular

take a look at this

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

on the right side

With every new Mac.

When it’s released, every new Mac computer will come with Mac OS X Snow Leopard already installed. You won’t need to do anything.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I really can't imagine Apple lowering the price of Snow Leopard any more than it is already.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Hmm...that is interesting.

Apple must be taking a newer/better approach then the past years - where they used to give customers "Upgrade" discs if a new OS came out. Then after about 3 weeks, all Macs would come with the new OS preinstalled.

But Apple must be getting their stuff together. I imagine Snow Leopard will be out of beta very very soon.

13. Andy348 macrumors 6502

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It is impossible for it to be preloaded on machines already in inventory. As in the past, it will take a week or so until the switch can be made.

15. Deppe macrumors member

And you should try and buy something in Denmark - prices here are around 120-150 pounds more than England!

And we don't have a refurb store :(

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That is if you order from the on-line Apple Store.

If you go to your local Apple Store you will probably get the drop-in DVD.

17. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I meant the iMac :)

18. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Thats how our eMac was back in the day. It came with Jaguar pre-installed and then a set of Panther CD's in the box. You have to figure there will be Macs with the old OS still on the shelves after the new release that won't have it installed.

19. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Its the first day of september

20. TerrorOFdeath macrumors member

TerrorOFdeath

It is rumored that they indeed will drop the prices and also update the Imac line. Dunno now if it is the whole line.

Thats the reason why i will wait. Altough i realy ned something...

The Thing is, there is no more such an huge difference between an Imac and an Macbook Pro. Ok the screen is smaler, but its better with the contrast, color etc. And on top of that I think the NBs are awesome the way the make it.
    I personaly hope that the finaly go back as it was and make it a difference. Something like "If you need more power = imac; if you need even more = mac Pro"

Or am I so wrong abaout it?

Tod