If I buy an iPad 2 now, which model will hold its resale value the most?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lit Up*, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Lit Up* macrumors member

I wanna get an iPad 2 but am conscious we are mid-end cycle and iPad 3 may come out in a few months. So I wanna buy iPad 2 and then sell when retina display iPad comes out.

Anyway, I've heard that 16gb ones will hold their resale value the most, not sure why, apologies if I'm just being dumb here but could someone explain if that's the case, thanks.

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Buy what you NEED right now! If you don't need one, then, just wait!

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Have a look at iPads and see which capacity is holding value best now compared to original price. There's your answer.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you aren't around wifi.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Generally speaking, the stock base level SKU of any product is the best for resale. Why?

Ignore the concept of resale value, as technically speaking, a 64GB has a higher resale value than a 16GB, but that ignores you've spent much more for the 64GB. Think instead about the delta between your cost and what you recoup in the resale - this delta is generally the smallest in the cheapest model.

Your goal in a resale is not to maximize your price (64GB wins) but minimize your loss (16GB wins).

7. TXAGS macrumors newbie

TOTALLY agree with you... so I always get the base model :D

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Failed to mention take it one step further and buy from the refurbished store saving you some of the initial loss

9. Lit Up* thread starter macrumors member

could i not just buy an ipad 1 base model then and resell it ?

10. OSMac macrumors 65816

The 16GB base model 2 will be easiest to sell but you will lose $150+.
    If the next iPad is retina there will be a lot of used iPads for sale.

Probably would lose less buying a iPad 1 now at $300-$350.
    But you would enjoy it less too. Its sluggish and crashes on iOS5.
    Was OK on ios4.

Its not about how much you will lose or just buy nothing.

I'd get an iPad 2 refurb from Apple now or wait for the Black Friday sale for a new one.

11. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Retina won't kill iPad sales, look @ iPhone. 3GS still sell for reasonable price and that's now well over a year since a FAR superior display launched.

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The $499 one would be the easiest to sell at closest original value because it has the most buyers. Business 101.

13. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

*emphasis mine

My iPad 1 runs great on iOS 5. Absolutely no sliggishness or crashes. The iPad 1 is still a great device. Although, I would think the OP would probably be better off going with a refurb base iPad 2 for resale value. By the time the next iPad comes out, the original will be 3 generations old and will have very little demand.

14. drjsway macrumors 6502a

64gb 3G AT&T to sell on launch day for a mark up.
    16gb wifi, best resale value when used.

People who buy used generally have less money and go for the cheapest model. People who pay a mark up to have something on launch day tend to want the best.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

it's all been said above, but buy a used ipad2 16gb and avoid the tax to get the best deal. Sell it for a minor loss. If you bought it today for 400 or so, you could probably still sell it even after the iPad came out for 300 or so (new iPad 2 will likely drop 150 to 350 dollars). That's about a 100 dollar loss. That's not too bad for a few months of use.

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

First off, it is unlikely we will see the iPad 3 until late next year. You know, the ipad with a retina display, slimmer dimensions, A6 processor, better battery,etc... All the indicators are pointing to this. What we will see in March 2012 is an iPad 2S, without a retina display. A minor update.

Best option is to buy a refurbed 32gb iPad 2 right now. Use it over the next year, then sell when the iPad 3 is released, which will likely occur in October 2012.

17. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

In terms of resale value it doesn't matter. All models will decrease in value.

In terms of resale ability, the lower end 16/32GB Wifi-Only models will sell quicker because people will go for the cheapest model almost always.

18. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I agree.

People looking to buy used are generally looking for a bargain. They might be students, low on cash, or wanting to pick up an extra one for their child or other family member.

You'll have an easier time reselling the lower end models. Because there are more buyers, the price is a little more firm. (and because you paid less, you're losing proportionally less as well.)

That said, there is still a market (albeit smaller) for high end models -- you may just have to wait a little longer to find a buyer.

19. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

time is money. the good thing is if you list it at a low auction price, it will always go for the maximum market value. So, don't be afraid to list it low but be advised to add plenty of photos and information to put the potential bidder at ease.

20. erawsd macrumors 6502

You mean like all those indicators that pointed to a simultaneous iPhone 5 and iPad 3 this year? Or all the others that insisted on 4" iPhones, an iPad2S with Retina, and iPhone shuffle?

Honestly, we really have to stop confusing link baiting with truth. Not a single "indicator" has proven true, except for the things actually dug up from the beta SDKs.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Resale values are proportionate to the model you buy. You buy a 16GB WiFi, and it's going to sell for less than a 64GB 3G. Then again, how much did you pay for them when you got it?

In the end, you'll get a similar return.

22. jenzjen macrumors 68000

The cheaper model is still the better option even if you get the same return, say 65% of cost, on a resale, because you've still lost more absolute money on the more expensive 64GB. We still haven't touched on the opportunity cost of having an extra $200 tied up in the 64GB vs having it in your pocket with the 16GB.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

We went on a multi family trip to Disney.

My family has 2 32g and 1 64g iPad 2, two Verizon 1 AT&T.

Seeing FaceTime in action was a huge selling point. My sister in law as a 16g iPad 1. She complained about spending more tie moving things on and off the iPad. Family members that purchased iPads after the trip all chose 32G wifi.

I feel the 3G models are a waste of money. I tried both AT&T and verizon service, both mediocre. I tried Verizon 4g lte hotspot. Love it. Sure you have to carry another device but it's worth it to me.
    same price up front. Far more flexibility with the add on device