If i buy an iphone outright from the Apple store do i have to have it activated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wineandcarbs, Jan 5, 2010.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.125 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

If I buy an iphone outright (at full price, not doing an upgrade) at the Apple store, do I have to have it activated in store? I want to just take it home sealed in the box and activate it at home. TIA! :)

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

nope, need to activate at the time of purchase.

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

They wont let you walk out of the store without actually activating the phone.

/thread

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    QFT. They are sticklers like that.

5. Prospekt macrumors regular

They let me activate at home when i was just upgrading to the 3GS...the person even asked if I wanted him to activate it or if I wanted to do it through iTunes at home, so I guess it depends on who sells you the phone. I chose to activate at home.

6. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys.

If I am activating in store but don't have my SIM card with me (or am buying it as a gift), can they still activate it in store? Someone at an Apple store said they use a SIM card w/o a phone number attached to it (does that make sense?).

Dumb question but having never owned an iPhone, what exactly is being done when it is being activated? If it isn't activate w/ my own SIM card will there be any trouble when my SIM card is put into it (I'm not trying to use a SIM from a different carrier or anything like that).

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your iPhone will come with a brand new SIM. This SIM will be attached to your account and your phone number by the person who sells you the phone. Your old SIM will cease to work upon activation.

8. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.125 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Oh, how does that work if it is being bought for someone as a gift though? I'm on Rogers if that makes a difference (IDK if Rogers & At&t do it differently).

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You cant buy them a iPhone but you can buy them a gift card to redeem for a iPhone.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

... unless you buy the iPhone for the full, unsubsidized price (which you still have to be an AT&T subscriber to do).

Anyhow, if you do pay the full $499/$599/$699 pricetag, you do not have to activate in the store (since you didn't get a subsidy on it).

FWIW