If I buy an iphone4 today, will I be able to tether via downgrade/jailbreak/etc

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bob13bob, Jan 6, 2011.

1. bob13bob macrumors member

or do the recent updates prevent this? Can you roll back to a previous operating system?

2. noiceT macrumors 6502a

You can run MyWi (tethering app) on 4.2.1

You won't be able to downgrade, as you will have no shsh saved.

Your jailbreak will be tethered only for now.

3. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

In order to downgrade an iPhone you need a copy of it's SHSH blobs for the version you want to install. Since your phone will be new, the only blobs you will be able to get are for the current OS, which is 4.2.1. There is no way round this I'm afraid.

You will be able to jailbreak. 4.2.1 has a stable tethered jailbreak via redsn0w, and an untethered version is expected "soon" (and no, nobody knows when that will be).

Hope that helps.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Depends on where you get your phone from and how lucky you are. I did the Radio Shack deal they had going on in December and got an iPhone 4 with 4.0.2 on it. My guess is that you'll probably get either a 4.1 or 4.2.1 with your phone. Some people have been lucky in getting older stock however it's pretty likely that you'll get something with a newer version on it.

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

This makes me wonder: Could you go into the Apple store and tell them you'd like a phone with 4.1 installed? I imagine if you got a "in-the-know" clerk, he could accommodate.

6. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

"In-the-know"? Jailbreaking is such a widespread, simple concept that the chances of an Apple employee knowing what jailbreaking is are the same as a garbage man knowing how to wash well when he gets home.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can bet it will be really hard to find iphone 4's that dont come preinstalled with 4.2.1
    I doubt reps will open up boxes and look for 4.1 firmware for you but you can try if you feel lucky.

8. piixel macrumors newbie

piixel

If i'm not mistaken, I believe there is an untethered jailbreak. It's on beta though, and Bluetooth is disabled.

source

9. dgstan macrumors 6502a

By "in-the-know", I mean a clerk who knows which piles of phones have been sitting around the longest (i.e. more likely to have an old OS installed).

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

won't work om a new device requires blobs saved with 4.2b3 IPSW! which is 4.2 gold for Developers.

11. noiceT macrumors 6502a

I don't consider that an official untethered jb.
    It's in beta, and not technically open for public consumption.
    It's mac only, presently.
    Requires the 4.2b3 FW ipsw which unless you're a developer, you've pirated it.

12. mantic macrumors 6502a

My 3GS ended up taking a swim during my New Years celebration antics. I'm going in to buy the iPhone 4 this weekend and am really bummed to learn I won't be able to jailbreak and sync everything up from my old phone. Sucks since my phone functions fine besides its loss of backlighting.

13. bob13bob thread starter macrumors member

Whats tethered jailbreak? sounds like you can tether for free after JB. why would someone want untethered JB?

14. noiceT macrumors 6502a

You're confusing it with "tethering"

15. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

From the Dev team site regarding the tethered jb:

Update #2: *The notion of a “tethered” jailbreak is pretty new to many people, so here’s a quick rundown on what to expect:

If you’re on an iPhone3G, old-bootrom iPhone3GS, or non-MC ipt2g, life is easy. redsn0w installed an untethered jailbreak and so nothing below applies.
    “Tethered” does not*mean you cannot boot at all without PC/Mac assistance. *If you have not installed any tweaks that hook into important programs like SpringBoard or CommCenter, your device will actually boot. *However, jailbreak programs like Cydia won’t work (and Cydia may still have a white icon). *Also, certain built-in apps that had to be moved by Cydia will fail (Safari being the most noticeable example).
    If you’ve installed MobileSubstrate tweaks that hook into SpringBoard or other important programs, your boot will actually fail (you’ll get stuck at the Apple logo). *You need to use redsn0w to “Just boot tethered right now”.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow:D

17. bob13bob thread starter macrumors member

so, in order to jb my iphone 4, i have boot it up chained to my pc every time. if i'm away, then I can't boot it up. That sounds like a PITA.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its a big pain.
    Thats why Im staying away from it for now.

19. phpeters87 macrumors member

phpeters87

My 3G is JB'd and does not require to be tethered on startup, and Bluetooth works fine.

I assume iPhone 4 is a different animal despite having iOS 4.2.1?

See specs in sig

20. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd take a look at this post.

21. noiceT macrumors 6502a

All iphones have differences between them. That should be obvious.
    For example, the 3G is untethered for life.

Also, don't confuse the tethered 4.2.1 JB with the untethered "beta" 4.2b3 JB. Bluetooth doesn't work on the beta "testing" version.

22. phpeters87 macrumors member

phpeters87

Does this mean 3G's are going to become more valuable? :D

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt it:)

24. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Lol, not really^^ but they still pull quite well on ebay. Especially if they are unlocked.

You can get $150-$200 for a original iphone unlocked on ebay:D