If I buy an MBP off the Mexican online applestore is there any chance of a Rev A?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DDar, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, my PC just died out on me (posting this from my PS3 ), so I'm really desparate for my new 17'' MBP. Only problem is my Grandpa, who's buying it for me, says they are unavailable at regular Mac stores outside of the U.S. However, I've noticed on the online Mexican Mac store that the 1920x1200 screen is an available option with shipping being estimated at 2-4 days.

Anyways, my question is, if Ican somehow convince him to buy it online, is there any chance I'd end up getting a Rev A product? I ask,seeing as it's all the Rev A MBPs that seem to be failing or bugging out, and I'd rather not have that...
    Also, just in case he refuses, is the diference between a 1920x1200 and a standard definition 17'' MBP reallly that noticeable and great/important? (I want it because of the extra digital painting space I hear it'll give me...)

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm not sure what you mean by getting a rev. A MBP from the online store seeing as the rev. A MBPs were around a few years ago and are no longer for sale. As for the resolution of the 17" MBP, the higher the better IMO.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The first revision MacBook Pro hasn't been available for about 2 years now.

Why would you think you would get an outdated product from the official Apple online store?

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

I mean as in a Rev. A penryn MBP of course! :p
    Alot of users seem to be having trouble with those. =(

And yes, I know the higher the better, but is it that much of a difference that not having it would be somewhat crippling ?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I don't understand. Rev A refers to the first ever MacBook Pro.

Penryn-based MacBook Pros are the current version, there has not been a Penryn-based MacBook Pro before. The revision before the current ones were Santa Rosa.

Rev A = Core Duo MacBook Pro, came out early 2006 and was replaced with a speed bumped model a few months later.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Either way, the online store never sells outdated products, usually online is the first place to get a brand new (just released) product. So don't worry about it.

7. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Don't all product changes have Rev A's? Like weren't the MBPs released in February the Rev A penryns?

8. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I have a Rev. A MBP, and if you want, I'll even charge you the same as a new one. The specs will blow your mind: 1.83 CoreDuo, 120GB HD, and the ram is maxed out at 2GB!

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The first computer to be called a MacBook Pro was called the Rev. A MacBook Pro. The second computer to be called a MacBook Pro was called the MacBook Pro Rev. B, and so on.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wouldnt worry too much when you see about people having "Problems". Ive worked in consumer tech support for 5 years before my new job and I'll tell you first off most problems arent even problems, its user error and second, people only post the bad stuff on the forums. You never see "My mac is 100% perfect (mine is and its a penryn, my office workers who I converted all too have flawless macs, my parents who I bought mac have a flawless mac) so I wouldnt worry too much on what you read. Regardless if you do get a problem one apple will replace it.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No.

Rev A (MacBook 1,1 - 17" MacBook Pro = 1,2): Core Duo 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz (Yonah)
    Rev B (MacBook 2,2 - 17" MacBook Pro = 2,1): Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz, 2.33GHz (Merom)
    Rev C (MacBook 3,1 - All sizes use same number.): Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz, 2.6GHz (Merom)
    Rev D (MacBook 4,1 - All sizes use same number.): Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2.5GHz, 2.6GHz (Penryn)

These are the official MacBook identifier numbers Apple use in their firmware. The Penryn-based MacBook Pros are the fourth major change to the MacBook Pro line up.

12. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you really don't want one of the current MacBooks, why not try the reburished store?

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Terms like "Revision A" are never used by Apple in relation to their products.