If I buy an MBP today, will I be able to return it when the new one comes out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeanSolecki, Sep 3, 2016.

1. DeanSolecki, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

DeanSolecki macrumors member

I need to do iOS development for work (I'm a contractor, they aren't buying hardware for me) and I need to do it now. If I buy a new rig today, will Apple let me return it for the new one if it comes out next month? I feel like they used to do this a while back, but I'm not sure if it's still a thing.

Edit: I just checked and it's only 14 days for returns... so I guess I'd have to wait a few weeks in either case. Ugh. Nice little cluster**** I have here.

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I wouldn't count on anything beyond the normal return period, which I believe is 15 days from date of purchase. In that case you'd be okay if they released at the iPhone event on the 7th, but SOL of they wait until October as some are speculating.

If you really want the new machine, buying now with intent to return is a risky move, but potentially possible.

3. DeanSolecki thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm just going to limp through with my MBA. Xcode is going to run like a pig on it, but spending 30-40% more for old as dirt kit seems like an amazing waste of money.

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

I tend to agree... If you can muddle through with what you've got, you'd probably only have to wait 6 weeks or so (worst case scenario).

Good luck!

5. DeanSolecki thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! It's the law of computers that when you need one you shouldn't buy it. Been here before. A little pain now will probably pay off in a month or so, though.

6. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

since this is for a job, figure out what you value your kit for on that job, maybe you can rent something for that. Also, since you are are taking on the responsibility of running your own "shop" you might want to consider having a backup anyways (think about the long term). buy something lesser/refurbished/used now that is still viable and then moving forward you have a spare machine for when something goes wrong or even for those times when you could use two systems.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you go out and buy a computer today that meets your needs and fits in your budget, does an upgraded model next month suddenly make the one you bought not function?

8. Ries, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

Ries macrumors 68000

Does buying 4 year old tech that doesn't hardware accelerate the next gen video format seem like a good use of your money, if a new shiny bells and whistle model may be announced in 4 days?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the computer you buy meets your needs, does it matter?

10. jerryk macrumors 68030

Buy what you need to do the job. New Macbook Pros have been predicted for Fall 2015, March 2016, May 2016, and now October 2016. Read the "waiting for Skylake" thread for a good laugh.

I am a developer and got caught up in waiting for the next Macbook Pro. I put off buying in March and May and finally said screw it and bought in June. One of the best moves I every did. The new 15 rMBP is much better than my 2011 13 MBP.

Also, given Apple's current history of having issues with new systems I think I will wait for V2 of any system where they made major upgrades.

11. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Can you not return the Macbook pro 14 days later, and then go to a different apple store and buy another one which gives you another 14 days?

Or does that not work lol

12. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

It works....but don't be that guy.

13. Ries macrumors 68000

If it won't meet you needs it the future, yes it matters.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

No computer you buy today will meet your needs in the future.

15. Ries macrumors 68000

I can give reasons why the current MBP won't in 4 years, give me which ones kaby lake won't be able to.

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

You can not freely switch out "the future" with "four years". You said the future and now are trying to change it so that you can easily defend it. Try again.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Then you should never buy anything, ever.

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I understand where you are coming from but when the new one is just around corner then it is wise to wait for it. If the new ones just come out and you need it now then I wouldn't suggest waiting for the next one.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I understand that waiting for the newest hardware is probably a good idea right now, but the OP said in their original post that they needed a computer now.

My point is that if you need a new computer now(or actually ever), you first need to know what the computer needs to do for you. Once you know that, you can shop around for the hardware that best suits those needs at the best price you can find.

20. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

We don't know that the new MBP's are just around the corner. People have been saying that since March, and we're now heading towards October with no new updates and people are still saying they are just around the corner.

I would buy now if I needed a powerful new computer. The current MacBook Pro's might be a bit behind on current processors and graphics, but when coupled with OS X they are still the most powerful laptop computers money can buy today. Windows sucks the life out of all hardware.

21. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Since March? I don't remember that. Look at the MR's buyers' guide and you will the road map of updates.

22. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

Given that you need it now to deliver a work to a customer which will bring you money, the most effective way to go is:
    - rent the cheapest mac you find
    - back up everything on regular base with time machine
    - cash the money from the customer and deduct the total cost from your margin (it will be something like 150/200 dollars for two months)
    - buy the new one as soon as it comes out (soon - this time for sure)
    - restore from Time machine and enjoy both the money and the new rig

23. eco7777 macrumors regular

i don't know, it is only 2016.
    When the new mbp's come out your machine will be 13 years old.

24. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

You might want to look around for deals right now. I found and bought this on eBay for $1479. It was exactly what I wanted and $300 off was a good deal to me. Plus, I had been using this MacBook at work for a couple of years and loved everything about it. Hence not interested in the new ones. But that was just me. Apple has a refurbished model just like this for $1529. http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/ho...615197807_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-mac-slid--product-
    Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 9.57.55 PM.png

25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i found a deal on best buy where they were giving $200 off the 13" so it was 1600 for the 2.9 512 version instead of 1800. I pulled the trigger (this was in august) since rumors were in the air on the exact time frame. I bought apple care for it at student price. If new ones comes out I could always sell it and not loose too much money for it.